The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Ripples In Finish

I have noticed that most, if not all guitars have ripples in the finish that follows the grain of the top. This seems quite obvious, but after finishing guitars for many years I have wondered why exactly these ripples appear. In a newly lacquered top there are no ripples, they take about a month to appear. I wonder why they appear. I have my theories but am interested in others.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:10 AM

I first thought about this as I was touching up my HD-28 and the touchup was obvious only due to the lack of ripples in the newly lacquer area. After level sanding the finish is of course level. So why do ripples appear? 2 things may explain this. The spruce does not end up completely level after being sanded due to the rings having different areas of density leaving ripples in the unfinished wood. After finish is applied and level sanded the finish is perfectly flat but because the lacquer has different thicknesses between the rings, as time goes by it shrinks then leaving the ripples of the wood exposed.
The other option is that the wood is actually flat after being sanded and the finish is level after being sanded. The ripples appear with time as the wood expands and contacts with temperature and humidity changes.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
The ripples appear with time as the wood expands and contacts with temperature and humidity changes.
This is how I understand it to happen.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
This is how I understand it to happen.
Had you wondered this yourself?
Old 02-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Lacquer never fully cures and evaporates very slowly over decades.
Evaporation, curing, settling and thinner finish with decades of age show ripples as it settles into the grain.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorCocobolo View Post
Lacquer never fully cures and evaporates very slowly over decades.
Evaporation, curing, settling and thinner finish with decades of age show ripples as it settles into the grain.
Right, so that must mean the spruce is not perfectly flat after sanding for this to be the reason for the ripples.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Not necessarily. The Winter and Summer growth (darker and lighter lines) take up and and release moisture at different rates, among other things.

The less dense summer growth will also tend to contract more than the denser winter growth and that can create the unevenness.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-20-2021, 05:17 PM

You can surface a top very close to dead level, apply finish, and have ripples show up anywhere from a few months to a few years later. It's simply a matter of the long term shrinkage of the wood varying between summer and winter growth. The more perfectly quartered the top is the more apparent this will be.

It's not always a problem, and when it does show up it simply highlights that the wood does indeed change over time. The surface finish usually telegraphs the change as it conforms to the surface of the wood. Thick UV cured polyester finishes often don't show this, and that should tell you something about what it does to the ability of a guitar to produce good tone.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it, it it occurs to me that I only (mostly) notice this on tops with a thin lacquer finish rather than something like a thick poly finish, so I therefore see ripples as a good thing - like bear claw...
Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM

Great replies, I like having discussions like this about even the most trivial topics
Old 02-21-2021, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

It happens with all finishes unless they are applied at differing thicknesses. A thick finish will not show the ripples as willingly. There is a vast difference in thickness between a 3 to 5 mil finish than compared to an 8-10 mil finish --- massive, massive difference in how tough the finish will be. Nevertheless, I still believe a lot of these thicker finishes do have some degree of "rippling" over time as well. Additionally, it is also very easy to have a thick nitro finish as well. By thick, I mean close or above 10mils. However, with nitro it is much harder to get super thick finishes - the modern finish materials will allow you to build the film much faster if that is your goal.

For luthiers, staying under 5 mils should be the goal and that can be done with just about any finish. Getting thinner than 5 mils is challenging. Getting a 2 to 3 mil finish is substantially harder than getting a 5 mil finish but it is definitely worth it in terms of tone. None of the big manufacturers are going to be giving you 2 or 3 mil finishes. I use a urethane finish on my guitars that is around 2 to 3 mils on the top - that is the thickness of Scotch tape, BTW.

As you stated earlier, it is the movement of the grain that causes the very slight distortion in the film.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 02-21-2021 at 12:54 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair