The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-15-2021, 10:45 PM

Default Where Have I Been All my Life?

Why have I not heard of this guy before today? I guess that I need to watch more T.V. https://youtu.be/6gQ7m0c4ReI
Old 02-16-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Why have I not heard of this guy before today? I guess that I need to watch more T.V. https://youtu.be/6gQ7m0c4ReI
Amazing! My guitars quietly left the room as I was watching. I know he was on America's Got Talent at one point, but I don't watch those shows so I wasn't aware of him either.

Sadly, I couldn't help being distracted by the TAPE they used to hold the pickup in place.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Sadly, I couldn't help being distracted by the TAPE they used to hold the pickup in place.
Yeah, that wasn't a good look.

Personally, this performance doesn't do much for me at all. That icy, metallic tone with all the flash and slapping, never mind the taped up guitar, just isn't a good match for this iconic and melancholic piece.
I can see why he would win talent contests, but it just made me want to find the sonata played on piano again.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-16-2021, 10:23 AM
Guest 928

I ride with Andre on this. The bombastic, flashy, high-tech stuff somehow becomes something other than human music (although, it sure is attention- getting and sort of fascinating).
Old 02-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I ride with Andre on this. The bombastic, flashy, high-tech stuff somehow becomes something other than human music (although, it sure is attention- getting and sort of fascinating).
In his defense. He is was playing to a specific audience. Talent show T.V. audiences are not renowned fort their sophistication, and if the end goal is to garner votes, well one does what one has to do. Hey! It works for politicians.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:11 AM

Decades ago, I would become slightly disturbed upon discovering people who took guitar directions I didn't care to process, evaluate, or attempt, as far back as Stanley Jordan two hand tapping. Now I tip my hat to them, and the gentleman above is outright amazing, musically, and in marketeering. What I don't understand is why it appears here, as it's not nylon string guitar, nor stylistically "classical."
Old 02-17-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
What I don't understand is why it appears here, as it's not nylon string guitar, nor stylistically "classical."
It is based on a well-known classical piece by a well-known classical composer?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It is based on a well-known classical piece by a well-known classical composer?
"Based on." Thought someone might say that (if only rhetorically.) I recall when electric guitar shredders loved to play, "Flight of the Bumblebee." That's stylistically classical, right? Rimsky-Korsakov?

We had a thread here where I argued, "these days classical means whatever people say it means." This one, i think:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=590385

Last edited by FrankHS; 02-17-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:02 PM

He undoubtedly has skill that I will likely never possess... but I just cant get myself to listen to stuff like this more than once. The slamming of the strings, constant tapping, super metallic sound is just so abrasive and gimmicky to me. The novelty wears off right away and all I can hear is guitar abuse

I feel like this sort of playing is much better suited for a youtube video/mainstream talent show or to impress folks in person. But I cannot imagine putting on headphones and listening to an album of this stuff. I get a similar vibe from some of the Andy Mckee and other CandyRat folks (although I do love some of Andys more subtle pieces like Rylynn... he really gets a great tone and its a beautiful composition).

Just my 2 cents. No disrespect!! Its just not for my ears

Last edited by JParrilla; 02-19-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParrilla View Post
He undoubtedly has skill that I will likely never possess... but I just cant get myself to listen to stuff like this more than once. The slamming of the strings, constant tapping, super metallic sound is just so abrasive and gimmicky to me. The novelty wears off right away and all I can hear is guitar abuse

I feel like this sort of playing is much better suited for a youtube video/mainstream talent show or to impress folks in person. But I cannot imagine putting on headphones and listening to an album of this stuff. I get a similar vibe from some of the Andy Mckee and other CandyRat folks (although I do love some of Andys more subtle pieces like Rylynn... he really gets a great tone and its a beautiful composition).

Just my 2 cents. No disrespect!! Its just not for my ears
I thought about posting pretty much this same exact thing a few times on this thread and let it go thinking well, if they like it that's fine. But pretty much yes, exactly.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I thought about posting pretty much this same exact thing a few times on this thread and let it go thinking well, if they like it that's fine. But pretty much yes, exactly.
Yeah I thought same at first. But after all I didnt post to crap on anyones taste Just sharing my opinion on the music thats all. I think that the guy clearly has skill and he could likely play circles around most of us in a more clean classical style... but he chooses to play like this which is his decision. Just not my cup of tea

I may have been a bit harsh in my description of how he abused the guitar But its just how I feel and Im fine saying it. Truly no disrespect for the guy... hes likely gone way further with guitar than I could ever hope to
Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 PM

This is one of those things that I always say "a little bit of that goes a long way"...I call it the "whappy, tappy, slappy" style of playing...

As already noted by others, there's no doubt the guy is talented...and as also mentioned, many of the CandyRat artists mine this same vein...and it's just not one I find that interesting in the long run...

I also think this style of performance is as much visual as aural...even if I were a fan, it would lose much of it's appeal if you weren't watching it...I know I certainly couldn't sit down and just listen to an entire CD of similar material...

The usual disclaimers and all...
Old 02-19-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
This is one of those things that I always say "a little bit of that goes a long way"...I call it the "whappy, tappy, slappy" style of playing...

As already noted by others, there's no doubt the guy is talented...and as also mentioned, many of the CandyRat artists mine this same vein...and it's just not one I find that interesting in the long run...

I also think this style of performance is as much visual as aural...even if I were a fan, it would lose much of it's appeal if you weren't watching it...I know I certainly couldn't sit down and just listen to an entire CD of similar material...

The usual disclaimers and all...

Exactly. I think this is the sort of thing that would draw a huge crowd as a street performer for instance. Imagine one guy on a city street corner playing some Tarrega to perfection, and then this dude is on the other corner creating all sorts of crazy noises. For most folks, this guy just appears way more talented and fun to watch. Its really not a bad lane if you are trying to gain exposure especially on the internet. There are so many talented classical guitarists out there that its hard to stand out....
Old 02-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I admire his talent and skill. I am happy to see his efforts to wow people who may not normally listen to or watch classical music performances, especially young people, with classical music. However, his manner is a bit too “icy” or maybe “modern Goth” for my taste.

Just for comparison, here is a more traditional rendition of the 3rd movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81vEobPe8A
Old 02-20-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post

Just for comparison, here is a more traditional rendition of the 3rd movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81vEobPe8A
THAT was impressive. Thanks for posting it.

As one person commented, "When I read the title I was like, NO WAYY".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical