The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2021, 04:57 PM

With the AC 3 you have the Delay--Analog Delay--Tape Echo choices. From there you have 3 parameter knobs you can adjust. Time/Rate/Decay----FB Depth/Tone---FX Level.

I looked long and hard at the T REX. With my budget and wanting to compete a small board with a few other pedals I went with the AC 3. I may get a looper down the road.

With the AC 3 you cannot use multiple effects in the middle section at the same time. You can pair with effects in each of the other sections however.

If I gigged and needed to make part of my living from playing I'd go with the T Rex and a few pedals matched up with it.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:50 PM

Default Now wondering about the Zoom A3?

Ok it has presets, but I have read some reviews that say it's more versatile than the AC3. Checking it out. Anyone know this one?
Gretsch G9241 Biscuit Resonator
Amezcua Classical ('86)
Jessen A Mandolin ('06)

Fishman Blenders in my guitars.
JBL EON One Pro to play them through.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

another thumbs up for the Fishman ToneDEQ, it's analog and easy to use, plus a great sound. the reverb is exceptional.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:53 AM

The Fishman ToneDEQ looks like a nice option.

One has to look at the features to see what they want. Are you going to add more pedals in a chain or just go with one?

Do you want to use chorus-delay-and reverb all at the same time? Can't do that with either the ToneDEQ or the AC 3.

What about a looper? And how much time on a looper? Or an on board tuner?

A collection of options, choices, compromises, researching and testing to find what works for you.

Two of the reasons I chose the AC 3 was the on board tuner--just easy to use and always there---and a separate reverb section. I can set and adjust reverb in the far left section of the device and then in the middle set and adjust another effect of my choice.

The T Rex Soul Mate offers a lot with each effect separate and adjustable. But it comes at a higher cost. I do see used unit on sale here and there.

Then there is the LR Brags Venue??

The waters can get pretty muddy. But I'm sure they all work.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM

I wish LR Baggs would combine their Voiceprint IR along with all of their Align Series pedals into one multi-effects processor for the acoustic guitarist. Might be expensive, but would provide an all-in-one solution that would most likely have a much smaller footprint than putting all of their separate pedals on a pedalboard.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:01 PM

The Tonedeq is probably what you are looking for. I really like it. I also had the Zoom AC3, but didn't like that you HAD to have one of the guitar models on all the time. Other than that one flaw, it's a nice similar unit.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM

I actually no longer have the Zoom AC3 and I am now using a Fishman ToneDEQ. I sent the AC 3 to a friend in CA, he and his spouse play guitar and ukulele respectively. I thought perhaps they would enjoy the AC 3 a bit.

Why the change? Sound-Tone. And I wanted to be able to run reverb, delay, chorus at the same time if I wanted. I added a MXR Reverb after the ToneDEQ to get that feature.

I found the sound of the AC 3 a bit colored--not as natural as just the instrument and amp. I usually played with the input instrument setting on nylon and the output setting at 12 --no instrument chosen. I'm playing a Godin with the RMS pick up system, nylon strings. The sound straight out of the amp and the sound via the AC 3 were not the same. I wasn't using the output instrument feature much if at all.

With the ToneDEQ the sound/tone out is the same as with just the amp--clean, then I can add in/modify for the features I want.

I do agree the AC 3 is perhaps a bit more robust--but I'm not out gigging or traveling--if that changes we'll see how the ToneDEQ holds up.

I also think that the AC 3 features/effects are just a little bit better.....but no longer having the two side by side I can no longer compare. I had plenty of time with the AC 3 to work with the settings. The ToneDEQ I'm still getting to know it.

For an amature playing with at home, maybe jamming with friends again someday I'm plenty happy with the what I'm using now.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:16 AM

Same exact reasons why I preferred the tonedeq. Fishman knows acoustic stuff and the unit does everything you need without making your tone sound too "colored" or "different".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh42 View Post
I actually no longer have the Zoom AC3 and I am now using a Fishman ToneDEQ. I sent the AC 3 to a friend in CA, he and his spouse play guitar and ukulele respectively. I thought perhaps they would enjoy the AC 3 a bit.

Why the change? Sound-Tone. And I wanted to be able to run reverb, delay, chorus at the same time if I wanted. I added a MXR Reverb after the ToneDEQ to get that feature.

I found the sound of the AC 3 a bit colored--not as natural as just the instrument and amp. I usually played with the input instrument setting on nylon and the output setting at 12 --no instrument chosen. I'm playing a Godin with the RMS pick up system, nylon strings. The sound straight out of the amp and the sound via the AC 3 were not the same. I wasn't using the output instrument feature much if at all.

With the ToneDEQ the sound/tone out is the same as with just the amp--clean, then I can add in/modify for the features I want.

I do agree the AC 3 is perhaps a bit more robust--but I'm not out gigging or traveling--if that changes we'll see how the ToneDEQ holds up.

I also think that the AC 3 features/effects are just a little bit better.....but no longer having the two side by side I can no longer compare. I had plenty of time with the AC 3 to work with the settings. The ToneDEQ I'm still getting to know it.

For an amature playing with at home, maybe jamming with friends again someday I'm plenty happy with the what I'm using now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification