The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Default Purest sound

Ive got a gig next month. This is my signal chain--Gibson J45 with ultratonic k&k conversion>Tonedexter>Behringer unpowered mixer>Yamaha powered speakers. Which would give me a better sound--fixed gain coming out of the TD and turn down the gain on my channel at the mixer, or variable gain out of the TD turned down and higher gain coming into the board?
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

It's hard to answer this definitively, but neither extreme would be recommended. This is about gain staging - too much level out of ToneDexter, and you'll overdrive the board, too little, and you'll probably get more noise. It's the goldilocks rule - you want everything to be "just right". Send a nice healthy signal from TD - if you've set TD to have the output volume affect the XLR, start with the output perhaps half way up, then go from there.

A common approach when going to a board is to have fixed gain coming out of the preamp's XLR send and have the output control only affect the 1/4 inch ou t (for a stage amp, perhaps). If you set the TD DI-out switch that way, then TD will just send a set signal level that should be "right".
Old 02-18-2021, 01:39 PM

Well thats easy. Will check it out. When I did a gig on a venue's PA (the first time I used the TD "out") they were blown away by the signal coming at of the xlr with switch set at fixed. But they eventually wised up to lowering my gain on their board.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

TD's nominal output, according to the manual is -15dBV, which is not especially hot for an active preamp. Some, like Felix output as much as +22db. Anyone running sound should know how to set the trim on a board to accomodate various levels from gear.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Anyone running sound should know how to set the trim on a board to accomodate various levels from gear.
Agreed.

There are so many disparate pickup and preamp systems associated with acoustic instruments that any sound tech should be approaching the situation with no assumptions.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
TD's nominal output, according to the manual is -15dBV, which is not especially hot for an active preamp. Some, like Felix output as much as +22db. Anyone running sound should know how to set the trim on a board to accomodate various levels from gear.
Hi Doug
Are you sure you've worked with volunteer sound techs before? (I'm smiling)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Doug
Are you sure you've worked with volunteer sound techs before? (I'm smiling)
Well, I said *should* :-) Honestly, tho, you turn knobs until it sounds good. *Should* be easy, tho I have certainly run into people who had trouble with that. My favorite was the (paid) guy who, upon hearing feedback from my guitar, kept cranking *up* the monitors. The more it fed back, the louder he made it. Seemed to be challenged with the concept of up vs down. So you never know.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 PM

As Doug said, you want it "just right."

First, I start with my level faders (or knobs) and the main mix faders at "unity," or 0. I then set my microphone input gain first, setting it so it doesn't clip at my loudest. I set the guitar channel input gain about the same. Then I set my ToneDexter input gain so it doesn't clip at the guitar's loudest, and the output so at its loudest without the mixer's guitar channel clipping. I then adjust the individual channels using the level faders or knobs as necessary, and adjust the total output volume using the Main Mix faders.

I have been using this approach for online open mics, and I continually get comments about how great my guitar sounds. Perhaps not scientific, but it works for me. Your mileage my vary.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification