The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I was in a local music store today, killing time, when I spotted a pack of Primetone small triangle 1.4mm picks. I have .96mm TD primetones and have mixed feelings about them. I asked the store manager If I could try them out and I am highly impressed! I like them as much as my Wegen 1.2 Bluegrass picks and better than my BC TD50! I’m REALLY digging the small triangle shape too!! I do believe I may have found my new favorite pick!! The best part is 3 picks are only $8.77 with tax!!!

I think that's a great find Tnf. Recently I've started really liking the triangle shaped picks. I think I like the lateral leverage you can apply to the wider pick. I don't know. If I can name-drop, Brucebubs sent me a Zager pick all the way from Oz. It has taken some getting used to because it is so thin, but it can provide an airy quality that I don't get with my other picks. But similar your Primetone, a local store has been carrying the Dunlop Americana picks. I like the idea that the Primetones are burnished already whereas the Americana needs some beveling. I think the Primetone might be even better.

FWIW, I learned how to speed bevel via another member HH who has been MIA for the last few months. I probably don't have the dexterity of Silly Moustache, so I use a more manual approach to beveling. I may have to post it for those of us who fear losing a finger with the Dremel tool :0. Also, another thing I've taken to doing with many of my smoother picks is scoring them for grip. Light diagonal slits across the face of the pick with a box knife really helps hold on with less grip strength.

I'll be on the Sweetwater site to order some Primetones as soon as I finish this up. Thanks for sharing.

Here are pics of the Dunlop Americana and the Zager.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dunlop_Americana.jpg (40.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg zager_pick.jpg (35.6 KB, 182 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I tried Primetone picks earlier this year and they won me over. I had always liked a bit of flex in my picks, especially for acoustic guitar playing. The Primetone Standard .88 has a lot less flex than I was used to but the tone I get from them is much better than what I got from my nylon .88 picks. I now use the same Primetone Standard .88 for both acoustic and electric guitar. I previously used nylon because they wear well but I haven't worn out a Primetone yet.
I got some of the .88 prime tones last week and am really liking those. I like the 1.0 a lot too.

Interesting find, I’ll have to give this prime tone shape a try. I have some Ultex 1.14 in that shape that are not my favorite, but they could really use a bevel for the edges. I think the prime tones in this shape would be great with its beveled edges.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I was in a local music store today, killing time, when I spotted a pack of Primetone small triangle 1.4mm picks. I have .96mm TD primetones and have mixed feelings about them. I asked the store manager If I could try them out and I am highly impressed! I like them as much as my Wegen 1.2 Bluegrass picks and better than my BC TD50! I’m REALLY digging the small triangle shape too!! I do believe I may have found my new favorite pick!! The best part is 3 picks are only $8.77 with tax!!!

LOL. I was just on my way out the door to go check out those picks, just burning time till the wife get home. and I hear the garage door now....I'm off
Old 11-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I've been using the Primetone jazz (small tear drop) picks off and on for some time now. I also have the Ultex large triangle that I like.

Thanks for posting your find! I've ordered a few to try them out.
So, thanks again to the original post.

As usual, I didn't pay too close attention to the details and ordered what I thought I saw in the original post. I "found" the pick on Amazon and then on eBay at a little better price. Turns out, I ordered 2 different picks and none the exact same as the original post.

So, both were Prime Tone picks and both were triangle shape. One was a large triangle in the smooth finish; one was the small triangle in the translucent "grip" finish. Both were great! Truthfully, I like the small triangle size. Equally truthfully, I like the smooth AND the grip finishes.

So, I've (re-)ordered both finishes in the small triangle size. The smooth gives a nice, warm jazz tone; the grip gives a little brighter tone.

Thanks again for the original post, and great to add more "must-have" picks to the collection.

Last edited by Livingston; 11-21-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
So, I've (re-)ordered both finishes in the small triangle size. The smooth gives a nice, warm jazz tone; the grip gives a little brighter tone.

Thanks again for the original post, and great to more "must-have" picks to the collection.

I'm thinking about trying a set but I don't know the difference between the grip model and the standard embossed. Are there any other differences besides the tactile feel of the two types of picks? Also I understand there is available a sampler of Flow picks but not of the Primetones. Am I right? Also what is main difference between a Flow and a Primetone?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's amazing the proliferation of all accessories, especially picks, over the last 10-20 years. Almost mind-boggling.

Strong consensus with which I concur that Dunlop is still king of the pick world. They've really got it dialed in. Don't be surprised if in the next few years they don't acquire a high-end pick company and grow through acquisition. I have no inside knowledge, and we're too tiny for them to be interested. But this is the way they've grown their categories in the past, so I wouldn't be shocked.

From a marketing perspective, they need a pick line that sells for about $9.95 per pick, then the jumps from there are $14.95 and $19.95. It will take a few years, but they'll get there.

Scott Memmer
Old 11-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I'm thinking about trying a set but I don't know the difference between the grip model and the standard embossed. Are there any other differences besides the tactile feel of the two types of picks? Also I understand there is available a sampler of Flow picks but not of the Primetones. Am I right? Also what is main difference between a Flow and a Primetone?
I hope someone can comment on your Flow vs. Primetone question. Not too familiar with the Flow, myself.

What I am finding with the Smooth vs. the Grip, is that while both picks presumably use the same plastic composition, the finish of the two picks produces different tones.

The Smooth has a softer attack and therefore creates a warmer, darker string tone. The grip, has a little harder attack and therefore creates a brighter tone.

Interestingly, I noticed if you drop either pick on a hard surface, they produce a very different sound. The Smooth has a much lower pitch/sound as it clinks on a hard surface, where as the grip has a much higher pitch/sound under the same condition. Not sure if it is the density of the pick or a different plastic compound or maybe a different finish (polished vs. matte) that affects the tone.

Anyway, I like both sounds that the warmer Smooth and brighter Grip produce hence I've ordered both.

By the way, when I find a pick that I really like, I tend to buy a large supply (100pcs or more) so I don't have to worry about finding them say 10 years from now. I keep the ones I like in a little hardware organizer...see photo below...and depending on the mood I am in, I have whatever pick that will make me happy at my fingertips.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:53 PM

I've just ordered 3 of the smooth 1.0 Primetones from Strings and Beyond, taking advantage of the free shipping.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Hey Livingston, when you fill one of those drawers with Bluechip picks, be sure to post your full address....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-22-2019, 08:18 AM

I'm glad you found your pick - always a good day.

I use them on electric (but .88's I think). A great pick for the money. I still use the BC on acoustic, but to each his own.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Love the primetones! Great price, too!
scott
Old 11-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Based on the OP's thread, I ordered a set of Primetone 1.0 picks. Even though they are made from different material they are almost identical to my gravity 1.1 picks (my current go to pick). The only thing I didn't like is that they are a bit slippery but I solved that by putting a small bit of duct tape at the top.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Based on the OP's thread, I ordered a set of Primetone 1.0 picks. Even though they are made from different material they are almost identical to my gravity 1.1 picks (my current go to pick). The only thing I didn't like is that they are a bit slippery but I solved that by putting a small bit of duct tape at the top.
Paul, I've shared this before so you've probably seen it previously. Been doing this thirty years. Take a plain piece of white cotton medical tape (make sure it's genuine cotton) and fold it over the top, sticky side down:

It does two things:

1) The cotton whisks away the moisture and sweat and oils from your hands
2) The tape is slightly sticky.

Rinse & Repeated As Needed.

Try it! Really works -- and cheap cheap cheap!

Scott Memmer
Old 11-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Paul, I've shared this before so you've probably seen it previously. Been doing this thirty years. Take a plain piece of white cotton medical tape (make sure it's genuine cotton) and fold it over the top, sticky side down:

It does two things:

1) The cotton whisks away the moisture and sweat and oils from your hands
2) The tape is slightly sticky.

Rinse & Repeated As Needed.

Try it! Really works -- and cheap cheap cheap!

Scott Memmer
Thanks but the small piece of black duct tape seem to do the trick. It also looks better.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

You don't find duct tape slippery?

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion