The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My story isn't too far off from yours. And here's something you're about to find out: Sharing your stuff around with other songwriters is great, but you also need to play for "civilians." People who see music as entertainment, not an intellectual exercise. Or, in the case of this forum sometimes, finger exercise.

You may find out that while your metaphors resonate with the one crowd, your dumb, catchy chorus connects with the other.

A very long time ago I worked in a restaurant in Cambridge Massachusetts, and a young waitress there claimed that Van Morrison was renting a room from her parents. Which was complete BS until he showed up very drunk at closing time one night. While Alexandra tidied up and I mopped, Van went on at length about how he considered himself a dedicated poet, and how he was so ashamed that something as tossed-off and stupid as "Domino" had made him so so so much money.
Well thanks for the mention of Van Morrison and Domino. That song has been reverberating thru my skull for the couple of hours since I first read it. My wife likes Van and I told her your story. SHE’S been singing it out loud since. It was a cool story though and I’d like to have half the money Van made off it.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My story isn't too far off from yours. And here's something you're about to find out: Sharing your stuff around with other songwriters is great, but you also need to play for "civilians." People who see music as entertainment, not an intellectual exercise. Or, in the case of this forum sometimes, finger exercise.

You may find out that while your metaphors resonate with the one crowd, your dumb, catchy chorus connects with the other.

A very long time ago I worked in a restaurant in Cambridge Massachusetts, and a young waitress there claimed that Van Morrison was renting a room from her parents. Which was complete BS until he showed up very drunk at closing time one night. While Alexandra tidied up and I mopped, Van went on at length about how he considered himself a dedicated poet, and how he was so ashamed that something as tossed-off and stupid as "Domino" had made him so so so much money.
Well thanks for the mention of Van Morrison and Domino. That song has been reverberating thru my skull for the couple of hours since I first read it. My wife likes Van and I told her your story. SHE’S been singing it out loud since. It was a cool story though and I’d like to have half the money Van made off it.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Duplicate post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write