The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
There ya go again...you're assuming that I need room treatment without even seeing my room. I don't care if it only costs $50 bucks...I don't feel I need it, so why bother ?? You're starting to sound like a pushy snake oil salesman but pushing room treatment to any one who'll listen.
Huh ? he did not say you "need" room treatment. He disputed your claim that people here are telling you have have to spend $1000's of dollars to treat a room, which as he said is an untrue claim.

If you are satisfied with the sound of your room that's fine, but making false accusations and slinging disparaging analogies about what people are saying or sound like, isn't.

Whether or not your room might need further treatment or not, is an entirely different subject. And and this thread is not about you or your room, so stop injecting remarks that will pull the thread off topic.

If you were as loathe to injecting strawman arguments as you are to imaginary utterances from experts, your exchanges here might much smoother and fruitful

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Well if you feel you must have foam in your room, make sure you get the fireproof stuff. Remember that that bar that caught on fire a few years ago at a Great White concert ?? 100+ people burned to death because the room was "treated" with foam, which caught fire and spread really fast. I don't want that garbage in my house.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Default We've "heard" your room Maniac

Maniac,

We've heard your recordings & seen your garage pictures. You're right. No level of foam, Auralex or OC 703 room treatment or guitar lessons will improve your recordings.

And apparently, no one here can offer a suggestion that you'll accept or that doesn't end up in disagreement. You usually put up a wall of negativity to any suggestion to your posts. Guys react to that here because we want to help. We want to share our experiences - with you.

Through your threads, you seem to be a contrarian, Maniac. So why don't you just go buy another solution online. Or, create a productive give/take discussion with those who really know the territory here.

alohachris
Old 10-25-2016, 02:42 PM

If you're so fricking smart, and I'm so dumb, why won't I listen to you ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well if you feel you must have foam in your room, make sure you get the fireproof stuff. Remember that that bar that caught on fire a few years ago at a Great White concert ?? 100+ people burned to death because the room was "treated" with foam, which caught fire and spread really fast. I don't want that garbage in my house.
The foam in that fire was exposed spray urethane insulation foam, not the foam being discussed here or in the OP article... Plus I think as long as your not setting off fireworks directly against it, you are in much less danger.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-25-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I found this product to be an inexpensive viable solution for a home studio when limited to acoustic guitar and /or vocals. I find the blankets to be far superior to foam.

http://soundblackout.com/super-supre...soundproofing/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-25-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Really?

I'm sorta new to this forum and not understanding this post....
Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Double post
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
If you're so fricking smart, and I'm so dumb, why won't I listen to you ??
Careful with the questions you pose lest we answer them.

Larry
Old 10-26-2016, 06:15 AM

Doesn't hate of others usually refer back to self-hate?

Martin, is there ANYTHING in the world you like?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Very glad this topic came up . My grandson is a drummer and they moved into a small quiet community. Will foam panels in his room help reduce noise to the neighbors?
Martin Dreadnought Jr
Seagull S6 CW Cedar
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson L50 (1947)
Hofner Violin Bass
Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Doesn't hate of others usually refer back to self-hate?

Martin, is there ANYTHING in the world you like?

Regards,

Ty Ford
I like my new girlfriend. I like my studio. I like my guitars. I like my truck. I like my songs. I like my recordings. I like my monitors. I like my headphones. I like my kitchen. I like my pots and pans. I like my crockpots. I like my stove. I like my house. I like my pension check. I like my gigs at the senior center. I like my Lava Lamp. I like my computer. I like my microphone collection. I like my mixing board. I like my new camera. I like my new lawnmower. I like the annual Halloween party I'm going to play at tonight. I like my Sonar DAW. I like my LANDR software. I like my Aphex Aural Exciter plugin. I like my Adobe Audition CS6 software. I've got a lot of great things happening here.

I dislike people talking down at me as if I was a 15 year old newbie. I dislike pushy salesmen. I dislike people who criticize my sound check test recordings as if they were finished masters.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick413 View Post
Very glad this topic came up . My grandson is a drummer and they moved into a small quiet community. Will foam panels in his room help reduce noise to the neighbors?
Yes to some degree ... first is this a rented space or is it owned by him or his family ? if rented then options will usually be more limited

There are actually tables and charts that list numbers for Noise Reduction Coefficient NCR which can help determine how much absorption various materials will provide.

Here is a link with some information.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/represen...acoustics.html

It should be noted that there are 3 basic different categories when it comes to sound control for a recording or practice space .

#1 is isolation or trying to limit or block sound transfer from going from one space to another, or from inside the outside ( what you are asking about) or from the outside in.

#2 is Absorption is control of sound wave reflections within a room itself by absorbing the sound so as to limit reflection

#3 is Diffusion or redirecting the reflection of the sound, usually done with diffusion panels or angled non- parallel walls

Here are some links

For #1 Foam panels may help some. And I do not know for certain but the blankets Mbroady linked in post #21 may be a bit better.

The best for isolation is wall within a wall construction, but that is usually not possible for a rented space, and often not feasible for a owned space.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick413 View Post
I've had experience with this. Foam will do a little but not much. Blankets will reduce noise much more and if you put up 2 layers of blankets with space between them that's A LOT better. But the low, bass frequencies still come through almost unaffected.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 AM

I use moving blankets from Harbor Freight to block sound. They're cheap and effective. Not one complaint from my neighbor.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD