The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
I disgree, I didn't suggest DADGAD was any less useful or sophisticated or in any way inferior to standard tuning just that it is less versatile, and I stand by that statement backed up by 400 years of history.

For the record I make extensive use of DADGAD in my rep and also, less frequently, use other alt. tunings.

If a player adapts to fingered bar chords and capos, the tone changes. When I was an electric player (as a kid), I loved how Angus Young always used open chords (g, d, e, c, etc); really made the guitar ring and sound open (opposite of bar chords, etc). So I always followed that style and maybe that's why I run out of steam faster on a tuning. Always love to have that low e string rining free, yah know?

But I will be the first to admit, I am lazy to learn the neck better. My picking hand moves 3 times as fast as my chord hand.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 AM

Open strings are one of the joys of tunings With open/alt. tunings using a capo helps to vary things, most alt. tunings only work in one or two keys, standard tuning works in all keys.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM

my guitar shipped and due to arrive next week. Ali sent me some pics so, i will share here.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10689...40791436752721
Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Old 10-15-2015, 04:32 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Very nice....

Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

That's an instrument ripe with possibilities. Beautiful!

Curious, do both necks sound the same, assuming same strings and tuning, or does each have its own character? Also, how does the sound differ when playing or hearing it played from in front? both questions refer to acoustic tone, unamplified.

Congrats on a thoroughly modern guitar! Mark.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful! My Emerald Flow bass just came in this week and Alistairs' builds are spectacular. Very nice custom double neck -- Darwin
Old 10-16-2015, 12:52 PM

i have not had my hands on it yet. it is shipping now. for those in US who ordered from Ali, how many days did it take from IR to US?

i expect both neck to be the same. of course, drop tunings sound different because they are lower key.

not sure about sound for front, back, above, etc. for me, unplugged is just for noodling around. i only get serious when plugged in, in which case, i MAKE the tone good by processing the hell out it.

i ordered this knowing the tone would not replace my Guild F50, a J200 or any Olson. but i am sure this thing will get a tone dialed in well.

think of the Borg character on Star Trek. maybe i will that be her nickname..

Borg..
Old 10-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Mine shipped on Tuesday and was receive the following Tue after Columbus day Monday. It was shipped Irish post and receive by the USPS. It came London, New York JFK, to Minneapolis. It was delivered on 9:00 AM Tuesday and required a signature.-- Darwin
Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Mine shipped on Tuesday and was receive the following Tue after Columbus day Monday. It was shipped Irish post and receive by the USPS. It came London, New York JFK, to Minneapolis. It was delivered on 9:00 AM Tuesday and required a signature.-- Darwin
just received. wow..

i am too busy tripiin' balls now. i will write later..

Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM

link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1068900...eat=directlink
Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 PM

In the 4th pic we see that Spongebob Squarepants got in a fight with bubble wrap and lost.

Seriously though, that is a drop dead gorgeous instrument. Wow I'm beginning to really like Emeralds! Please post some audio of some kind if you can
Old 10-17-2015, 02:54 AM

Nice! Christmas came early!
Old 10-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Richard, and other Chimaera owners (of which we are few)...

One element of the Chimaera's tone that may be undesirable is that which is created by the sympathetic string vibrations of the unused neck in a given song. I'm a fingerpicker and rarely plug in, so I notice it...perhaps those who use a pick and/or plug in all the time may not notice so much, or not at all. For some reason, I think these vibrations causes the E (and maybe the A) string, (mainly noticed on the 6 string neck) to sound muddy when played as part of open chords in the first few frets.

For those who do find this undesirable, I have been using a 12 string capo (Shubb) placed high up the neck when I know I won't be using the other neck. However, it doesn't eliminate it. I only recently found that placing a cut narrow strip of rubber or dense foam between the strings and the fretboard where the fretboard meets the body entirely deadens the strings, thus eliminating the sympathetic string vibrations resulting in what I'm finding as a cleaner tone on the played neck. When I'm going back and forth between the necks, I don't worry about it...the song benefits by having such a great option.

Perhaps you've already found this out and have dealt with it, or are fine with it, but I just thought I'd share.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-18-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:01 PM

hello all. i aim to write and publish a full review of my Emerald Chimaera experience. but, i cannot put that thing down yet so, i will post a good write-up later.

what i will say now is, Alister (Emerald) should be nominated for a Nobel prize of some sort!

the guitar rings and sustains like a grand piano, which blends harmonic tones like some kind of stone-age acoustic-machine Pharo planet-Crypton-Eventide thingy (ha ha)!

the neck does not flex when i am sitting back on the couch, leaning on the portions of the body out of laziness (you know...bedtime playing...you guys don't take your guitars to bed and lean them?...ha ha). but seriously, hate a neck that you can pull back on and raise the pitch. WTF!

the finish IS a bit noisy to rub against but i will deal with that somehow or adapt. i will love the Ovation textured look, which matches my batman costume (its a joke, son)!

it is true that when playing one neck, the other strings vibrate a bit (but so far, it does not bother me).

before, i was a guitarist who had to switch back and forth between 2 guitars. what a pain. that made me be lazy and just stick with one set of licks, letting my others go un exercised. now, i have a prosthetic limb that allows me to play both ways on one axe. wow...like Jesus giving sight to the blind! i feel THAT grateful to Alister at Emerald. he was the only CF builder who would do these one offs within a reasonable prove-range (unlike Rain-Song, Composite-Acoustics and Black-Bird).

as soon as i put the guitar in my lap and switched necks, i started to GIGGLE (as if i was on laughing gas or being tickled). Why? because, i was SOOO relieved and pleased by the ability to switch like i did (and still sound as good as my wooden jumbos...Guild F50 and Gibson j200).

Yes...I said it....the shallow carbon fiber body, because it is wide, can compete with a jumbo tone. i was SO afraid the the Emerald would never be a jumbo tone. i was wrong! Plugged in, it is fine. In fact, i like that this guitar does NOT have a DUAL-SOURCE pickup (as condensers and transducers are an Achilles heel for feedback, on stage). i am pleased to be back with a piezo only, then EQ it.

For Emerald, i am volunteering to be a regional "test site" (Colorado) for any players who want to try Emerald before ordering. sell all your woodys boys...CF is the future!

more later...

Last edited by richardpavelec; 10-25-2015 at 01:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber