The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

I see that Traveler now has an actual acoustic body...

http://www.travelerguitar.com/acoust...stic-ag-105-eq

I tried one of the Traveler Escapes (acoustic sound) a few years ago... I couldn't get beyond the fact that it felt like playing a 2x4. You could put on headphones to hear it, but it still sounded more electric than acoustic. That model you are showing (Escape Mk III) certainly looks better, but you still have to have an amp, even if playing in your living room for friends.

I appreciate the premise; just not a fan of the execution. If you are spending lots of time on planes, you have to go with what works for you.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 AM

I played the new Traveler acoustic at the local GC. The tone was not great, maybe due to the bridge design, and the build quality was sloppy. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I tried one of the Traveler Escapes (acoustic sound) a few years ago... I couldn't get beyond the fact that it felt like playing a 2x4. You could put on headphones to hear it, but it still sounded more electric than acoustic. That model you are showing (Escape Mk III) certainly looks better, but you still have to have an amp, even if playing in your living room for friends.
Having the JBL flip in the bag, makes carrying an amp as easy as it is going to get. Since the Traveler can be directly connected to headphones, you can connect it directly to the Flip, but starting with the instrument level output and adding some reverb and eq goes a long way towards a pleasing tone.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Brought back this old thread, only bacause this Englemann GS Mini continues to work its "anti carbon" magic. What's worse is I put a MiniFlex 2 mic pickup in it that I had laying around the house. Its superb, and have been using the Mini in Praise Band for a couple weeks. The Englemann has a dry woody sweetness that's got me hooked. Wonder how long a honeymoon has to go before its serious. Lol I usually go several months and then play one of my guitars and rediscover why I loved it as well and come to my senses.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM

If it's superb, then enjoy it! Don't worry about your carbon's getting jealous. They don't care and they are happy for ms. woody. Play the guitar that you enjoy playing.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestn7 View Post
Gentleman,
I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I play a GS Mini with a Baggs VTC and take it on missions trips. This summer, I will be spending 2 weeks in intense heat outdoors with my guitar. Because of the heat issue, I am considering a carbon fiber guitar. I am also going to be spending time in extreme cold situations on other future missions trips. I have been told that carbon fiber guitars become very brittle in cold environments. Have you ever experienced this issue in the cold? Thanks!
Hoping that isn't the case, at least it isn't on my bikes. I ride all winter long in sub zero weather on various all mountain and technical trails and my frames have no issues. Pretty sure the guitars will be just fine especially with no loads.

BTW thanks for the comparo DN. Loving my Holden as well
Old 05-06-2014, 04:59 AM

Well the shoot out is over! Sold the Rainsong Parlor. Shipped yesterday. Its a great guitar and its going to a good home. The reasons are mostly not musical.

1. I have made a pact with myself that if a guitar comes in: one goes out. I got 12 guitars, that's enough at my age. In came the GS and a new beast a Godin Inuk. Fact is carbon guitars are very sellable: they don't get messed up and the Parlor paid for both acquisitions.

2. I have bonded with the Holden Mini. The Englemann top is just special. Most telling was going back and forth between necks. The Taylor is a 1 11/16 width neck and slim. I frankly got to the point I just didn't want the mass of the N2 profile on a small guitar. That's just me and my hands and style. Frankly the Rainsong neck quality is far superior.

3. I have my JM1000 Black Ice and it weights nothing. Its I think the best Rainsong made, given my favorite style of guitar is the Jumbo. I'm going to get a light gig bag for it, what's a couple inches in the back seat of a car.

4. Lastly I have an insatiable desire to keep trying new things, Godin Inuk, got to love this beast its so odd! Its a disease I think.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 05-06-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM

You know the deal here Steve...If no pictures, then it's just a fairy-tale
Is the Godin like a unicorn???
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
You know the deal here Steve...If no pictures, then it's just a fairy-tale
Is the Godin like a unicorn???
There is no carbon in it, so I am over in the "other instrument" section. Only response is someone from Greece. The Oud, the inspiration for the Inuk is their folk instrument. It basically a Mando Guitar on steroids, with Godin's totally unique touch, this one is not for everybody.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber