The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 AM

Versatility alone is a reason to go Carbon.
You simply cannot do things with a wooden Masterpiece, that can be done with a Carbon fiber.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM

I got a "Gator" brand case (gig bag) for my Rainsong Shorty and it fits nicely.
I don't recall which model, but if you trace back through previous posts here on AGF I believe I learned it here .

Good Luck,
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 AM

Default Found it!

Thanks to Amazon.com's record keeping of my life in purchases I found the gig bag I bought for my Rainsong Shorty:

Gator 3G Slinger Series GSLING-3G-CLASS 3G Gig Bag for Class
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Slinger-...SLING-3G-CLASS

Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Shorty, Cap'n - I have one of Ted's LE models too and really enjoy it! I tarted up mine a little with a custom inlaid TRC and locking Gotoh tuners that were a direct drop-on, but it was a stout little trouper right out of the box.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM

I think you will really like the Shorty. I've had one for a little over three weeks and my other guitar has not been out of its case. It's already been to the New Jersey beach, to the Vermont mountains and soon to hot and steamy Florida...all without any worries.

I bought a Reunion Blues bag recently. It's a little more substantial than I expected but light, comfortable and very protective.

I did experiment some with strings. So far, I've found that the Dunlop Heavy Core Lights 80/20, give me the best results.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I wasn't planning on getting a CF guitar until we were done with our current work situation, but everything fell into place after visiting with Ted. I will look over those gig bag suggestions, too.

Just waiting,
Captain Jim
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Gotta say Noooooooooooo! To the Gig Bag.

A fine instrument deserves better.

It's like wearing Tennis shoes to a Black tie event. Don't do it.

Wheww, now I feel better!
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post

Can't agree with this. With wood guitars, I always felt like I needed to have hardshell cases. Now that I've gotten into CF guitars, I just don't feel the guitars need that much protection. I now prefer the convenience of gig bags and was disappointed when I couldn't get a gig bag instead of a hardshell case for my new GX.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'd do that.

I never cared for gig bags until getting the GSmini. It just works with that guitar. I take it in the boat, and in the RV, BUT it doesn't get tossed around. The gig bag is well-padded and fits (since it was made just for that guitar). All my other guitars have hard cases. Having had a NICE gig bag, I, also, would have swapped out the hard case for a nice gig bag for the Shorty (had that been an option), knowing how I'll use it.

I have 27 days left on my contract here in the PNW... I booked a gig, playing for a boat owners group (200 people expected) on the mainland before we head out of this area. Looks like the new Shorty will get some playing out fairly soon.

It was a day off for us today. And, what does a boat captain do with a day off? Yeah, we went out on our boat. No schedule, no destination - relaxing. Some time in the cockpit with the GSmini, with an appreciative audience of two (the Blonde and the furry kid).

That time away meant I only had time to check the tracking twice today... still "on time."

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Versatility alone is a reason to go Carbon.
You simply cannot do things with a wooden Masterpiece, that can be done with a Carbon fiber.
Masterpiece - interesting choice of words. The 814 I have is beautiful (and plays like a dream), with a tobacco sunburst spruce top, East Indian Rosewood back and sides, and curly maple binding. It really is a thing of beauty. I do feel like I baby that guitar, though.

I was quite taken with an 812 at the Taylor factory this past winter. I guess I felt like it was a bit too close to the 814, though (and not as striking). This Shorty is supposed to be very similar in size to the 812, and I'm looking forward to the voicing on her. Should make for some "versatility."

-------------------

When the Blonde suggested another guitar, I had already sighted in on a carbon fiber... the Shorty jumped out at me, from all the options. Until this past year, after almost 50 years of playing guitar, I had always played before plunking my money down. I read so much good about the Shorty - can't wait to meet her.

While doing some research over the past few days, I came across a post that compared the size of the Shorty and a GSmini (and another guitar)... and I'll be darned if I can find that again. Yes, I looked through the history on my computer, but I have looked at A LOT of Shorty related posts. Can anyone steer me to that photo comparison??

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Funny I saw that side by side comparison picture too, but just spent the past 1/2 hour unsuccessfully looking for the link. Kinda thinking it was compared with a Larrivee OM. I'll post if I stumble across it again
Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Funny I saw that side by side comparison picture too, but just spent the past 1/2 hour unsuccessfully looking for the link. Kinda thinking it was compared with a Larrivee OM. I'll post if I stumble across it again
are you referring to post #14 in this thread?
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM

Put the question over to Captain Jim, are the pictures in post #14 what you were after?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Put the question over to Captain Jim, are the pictures in post #14 what you were after?
No, contrary to what my wife might tell you, I do still have some functioning brain cells (although they are slow to wake up most days ). These photos, as I recall, were with a white background (probably done by LA Guitars, maybe MacNichols), and showed the Rainsong Shorty in a size comparison with a GSmini and a couple other guitars.

I have the perfect space for my guitar in the boat. Well, other than the fact that the pickup in the Mini affects the nearby fluxgate compass (that also affects the chartplotter and autopilot), but I don't leave the guitar there while we're underway. I am sure the soon-to-arrive Shorty in a hard case isn't going to fit in that spot. BUT, the Shorty in a gig bag might fit.

Update: still "on time".

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Are these them on the MacNicol website:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps3d982788.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber