The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Carbon Fiber Curious...

I know asking this here will be like asking, "Should I buy a Taylor or a Martin?" on the Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum. I am pretty much a Taylor guy. Well, for about 45 years before that, I was a Gibson guy... since I still have the ES-335 that I've had for 47 years now, I guess I still have a bit of Gibson in me.

And now, I am thinking a Rainsong Shorty might be good to add to the mix. I am a retired guy. Well, mostly. My wife and I occasionally do seasonal boat jobs (at her urging - she feels the need to be "productive" now and then... I am OK with being a boat bum, or an RV bum, and playing guitar any ol' time I feel like it). Last year, after finishing one of those seasonal "fun jobs", I picked up a Taylor 814 and a T-5. At my wife's urging. See a pattern here?

Last winter, I played a Rainsong in a Guitar Center for a couple minutes. Just curious. It played nice, sounded decent. I liked the idea of no humidifying... or de-humidifying. We seem to go from the Gulf Coast to the desert to the Pacific Northwest. I have a GSmini that is my travel guitar, and it has been a real champ. I play out with it from time to time, and through all the traveling and changes, it just keeps going.

Well, as we get to the end of this contract, my wife said, "Want to go guitar shopping?" The woman has always been encouraging, and who am I to argue. I am very happy with my current guitar selection, but have started to consider a carbon fiber. Research ('cause we're on an island right now, and getting to "shop around" for a guitar really isn't an option) has taken me in the direction of a Rainsong Shorty.

So, can a wood guitar guy find happiness with a carbon fiber? Anything I should look for... or look out for in this process?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and opinions.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM

"So, can a wood guitar guy find happiness with a carbon fiber?"

It can happen, but there are many people who can never get over the fact that a CF guitar is not made from wood. The fact that you have played at least one CF guitar and are considering it tells me that you are one of the guys that can indeed find happiness with a CF guitar.

Now, which CF guitars should you be considering? There are so many choices, even with the same manufacturer, that this is very difficult to answer. If you want a CF guitar that is designed to sound like a traditional wood guitar, you should try to check out some CA models. Their dreads are the CF guitars most likely to convert a die hard wood fan. CA uses bracing on their tops so that they sound more like traditional guitars (even though CF guitars don't need bracing for structural integrity). The CA GX is a great all around guitar, probably CA’s most versatile, and it has tremendous ergonomic features. The Cargo is a shockingly full sounding travel guitar, while the OX is a very popular smaller (but still full size) guitar. The X and Xi are incredibly comfortable thin bodied guitars, whose tone will surprise you (they don’t sound like thin body guitars).

Rainsong has a long tradition of embracing the CF sound. They were always known for their crystalline bell-like trebles and clean tones. Some people loved the sound, others complained that they didn’t sound like wood. While Rainsong still makes guitars like that, they have recently been producing guitars with different materials and weaves that result in a much warmer, wood-like tone. I haven’t played any of these newer models, but the Shorty has certainly gained a lot of converts. Rainsong guitars also tend to be very light. If weight is a consideration for you, you will enjoy how light these guitars can be.

Emerald is the CF guitar company that stretches the boundaries the most. They have the smallest travel guitar of the main four CF makers (the X5), they have the X7 and T8 models that are still travel sized, but provide a much fuller tone. They have so many models and keep tweaking things that it’s hard to keep track of. Their new X20-OS sounds like a really good bet in the full size market. They also offer some very unusual models like the new doubleneck and harp guitars.

I don’t have any experience with Blackbird guitars, but they get really good reviews. Their Super OM is supposed to be pretty special, especially for fingerstyle. Their Lucky 13 sounds like it’s a great smaller bodied guitar. And their Rider line (steel or nylon) are known as great travel guitars. Their designs are a bit different, which can be offputting to some, but I have no doubt that they are very fine guitars.

My recommendation would be to spend some time in this forum researching and asking questions. There are a lot of choices and it might take you a while to sort out the options that make the most sense for you.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM

My Composite Acoustics GX gets along just fine with my other guitars, Captain, and it frankly gets most of the playing time. I had issues with two Rainsongs and ended up with this CA, which I love. A whole lot of Rainsong fans around, though. And yes it's great, especially this time of year, not having any issues with heat and humidity getting to my gigging guitar. Definitely check 'em out -- a CF would make a great complementary guitar to what you already have...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

I have a Rainsong Shorty that I like very much.
I use it mostly for travel and to take where a tough environment or circumstances might compromise one of my wood guitars.

Having said that, when I get home I am always pleased to slide behind a wooden guitar again and feel/hear the warm sounds of one of my Martins.

...but I do like my carbon fiber guitar...where and when its attributes are most needed.

Get one, they sound great and are indeed nearly indestructible.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

I bought a Shorty in January and never looked back! I've been playing for over 50 years and have owned many guitars, but the Rainsong has changed my tune and tunes! I play many outside gigs and when I'm inside over the winter there's usually a roaring fireplace going - the Rainsong stays in tune and sounds great no matter the conditions. I was skeptical at first but my other guitars are getting lonely in their cases.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Yes, a wood guitar guy can find happiness with carbon fiber. I, like many others, have gone entirely carbon fiber.

Brian's description in his posting provides you an excellent overview of the carbon fiber possibilities.

I would only add that concerning the RainSong Shorty, as a 12 fret guitar, it can be either very comfortable, or feel a bit cramped. For me, the Shorty feels a bit cramped. A very individual response. If you are not used to a 12 fret, I recommend you try it first. You can likely find 12 fret Taylors in local guitar shops that would provide a good test of the Shorty's dimensions.

If you think a full-size RainSong would be of interest, I have a RainSong BI-WS1000N2 listed for sale in the classified section of the forum.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM

This may be crazy... so tell me if I am crazy...

But I returned my custom Taylor that I purchased for $2000 (one owner before me who ordered the beauty for $3000-4000... a 70 year old man who COLLECTED guitars but did not play them)

concert grand
bear claw spruce top
rosewood back & sides

... to buy a $1400 composite acoustics cargo in red

There was sentiment and beauty that was plain and elegant in the Taylor but I took it out on the beach yesterday and frankly I just get overwhelmed with all the worries... humidity, temp, direct sun, dinging it, denting it, worrying about string action due to neck issues, truss nod, so on...

the CA guitars sound is not only comparable but favourable amongst its wooden brothers and sisters

Now I am not sure what to feel. Regret?
Do Taylor custom guitars go up in value down the road?

Carbon fibre doesn't sound so beautiful and they look a little funny too but playing these guitars is shocking in the best way. A definite smile would creep up on a wooden-guitar guys face after playing a CA.

Would you have sold a Taylor Custom to buy a Composite Acoustic??
Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I know asking this here will be like asking, "Should I buy a Taylor or a Martin?" on the Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum. I am pretty much a Taylor guy. Well, for about 45 years before that, I was a Gibson guy... since I still have the ES-335 that I've had for 47 years now, I guess I still have a bit of Gibson in me.

And now, I am thinking a Rainsong Shorty might be good to add to the mix. I am a retired guy. Well, mostly. My wife and I occasionally do seasonal boat jobs (at her urging - she feels the need to be "productive" now and then... I am OK with being a boat bum, or an RV bum, and playing guitar any ol' time I feel like it). Last year, after finishing one of those seasonal "fun jobs", I picked up a Taylor 814 and a T-5. At my wife's urging. See a pattern here?

Last winter, I played a Rainsong in a Guitar Center for a couple minutes. Just curious. It played nice, sounded decent. I liked the idea of no humidifying... or de-humidifying. We seem to go from the Gulf Coast to the desert to the Pacific Northwest. I have a GSmini that is my travel guitar, and it has been a real champ. I play out with it from time to time, and through all the traveling and changes, it just keeps going.

Well, as we get to the end of this contract, my wife said, "Want to go guitar shopping?" The woman has always been encouraging, and who am I to argue. I am very happy with my current guitar selection, but have started to consider a carbon fiber. Research ('cause we're on an island right now, and getting to "shop around" for a guitar really isn't an option) has taken me in the direction of a Rainsong Shorty.

So, can a wood guitar guy find happiness with a carbon fiber? Anything I should look for... or look out for in this process?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and opinions.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
What Rainsong did you play? If your a Taylor guy be sure you like the N2 neck, it is nice but not Taylor thin. All the above is good advice. The Rainsong WS1000 BI being sold above by owner is a great guitar, and would be similar to a Taylor in scale length and size. I played the exact guitar at a Guitar Center last month and it blew the Taylor's away there. I loved it. I think it was $2400? new. Buying used in the Carbon space is a very safe bet, especially Rainsong, their QC is impeccable. Bought my two Rainsongs used and they were perfect. Just a thought for you.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I visited with Ted from LA Guitars today. He patiently answered my questions this afternoon... and a Limited Edition Shorty should be arriving in a couple days.

This is a leap of faith for me, since you can't just go play one of these... especially where we are, currently. Ted assured me that Rainsong's QC is first rate. Same with playability. Now, if my playing were first rate.

I'm anxious. NGD with something being shipped is nerve-wracking. If only checking the tracking on something would make it show up faster!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Congratulations!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Good choice! I think you'll be very happy with this guitar. The Shorty was my pick for Guitar of the Year a few years ago. Mine has racked up many many miles and has been used to write and record songs for an album I'm working on.

JR
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 PM

Good choice. I'm sure you will really like your new Shorty!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, as long as we're talking about this (back in a moment, I have to check the tracking ), I asked Ted about a gig bag for the Shorty. With our boat travels, the gig bag I have for the GSmini is a nice fit. I don't bang my guitars around, and we avoid commercial air travel as much as possible (not afraid of it, I used to be a pilot - riding anywhere but the cockpit is cargo )

My other guitars all ride in hard shell cases. While looking online for a padded gig back for the Shorty, I came across a post where the author said, "The gig bag for the GSmini fits fine with the Shorty."

Can anyone confirm this? I don't have any plans to get rid of the Mini (I really do like it), so I could do some bag swapping. My lovely wife said, "Yeah, but, it says 'GSmini' on the bag."

Bless her heart... but, I don't care what it says, if it will fit. That bag has done a fine job with the GSmini for thousands of miles. Before getting the Mini, I hadn't seen a gig bag that I wanted... I thought they were a cheap alternative to "a real case." I like the light weight, storage, and padded protection that "hard bag" offers.

Thanks again for the discussion!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM

The Shorty is the same size as an OM/000 more or less. It's actually about 3/8" shallower.

I would be highly suspect of one fitting in a bag for a GS-mini unless the bag was oversize for a mini.

A good OM size bag should be perfect if a gig bag is your thing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 PM

I have no insight on carbon guitars but when it comes to gig bags I can recommend you check out Mono cases http://www.monocreators.com/mono-acoustic-guitar.asp. I just got one and it is an impressively made and thought out bag. Definitely worth the price. It is padded to protect a wooden guitar though so it might be more heavily padded and thus bulkier than you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber