The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Your statement is why a truss rod should be on your carbon guitar and not necessarily for the other 95% of us. Why would anyone want to dictate what is on another persons guitar? Go for a carbon with a truss rod by all means. But there is nothing wrong with a guitar company marketing to 95% of the market?
Steve
+1.

Once again, wood guitars need truss rods, because their relief will need to be adjusted from time to time due to the inherent instability of wood.

CF guitars do not need truss rods because CF construction is much more stable and the relief should never need to be adjusted (for the vast majority of players). However, some people require relief settings that are outside the norm, so those people should look for guitars that include a truss rod. Also, some people just can't get used to the idea that they can't adjust relief; these folks should also hold out for a guitar that has a truss rod.

However, as Steve pointed out, just because some players feel they need a truss rod, that doesn't mean that all guitars should have one.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM

If given a choice between two exact model CF guitars with the only difference being one with a truss rod and the other not having a truss rod, how many would go with the guitar without the truss rod? My guess would be very few.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
If given a choice between two exact model CF guitars with the only difference being one with a truss rod and the other not having a truss rod, how many would go with the guitar without the truss rod? My guess would be very few.
If I knew the guitar had a proper neck angle and relief, I would actually prefer the one without the truss rod. Why? First, I'm fine with an average relief setting. Second, if it can't be adjusted, it can't be adjusted incorrectly. Third, truss rods add weight to the neck, which might tend to make a guitar more neck heavy.

I know it sounds crazy to a lot of people, but I truly believe that a properly manufactured CF guitar does not need a truss rod. To some, having one might seem a good insurance policy. To me, it seems like an unnecessary feature that adds little value (for my playing needs).

For the record, I fully understand that some people prefer a different relief adjustment from the norm and they would need a truss rod. I still believe most players would not if the CF guitar is built correctly.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM

The added truss rod also adds to the price of the guitar by $100+. I have an Emerald with and without (you can have them added to any Emerald).

In the end, I've never needed to touch the one with the truss rod. It's spot on perfect as is the one without. However, I ordered the truss rod added because I just wanted the insurance factor "IF" I ever needed it. And although I never plan to sell, it might have added value for reselling also.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Wood guitars need truss rods because they change over time and with varying environmental conditions. CF guitars don't need them because they don't change.

A lot of people will argue that they need a truss rod to set their action for their style of playing. However, truss rods aren't really supposed to be used to adjust action, only relief. Once relief is set properly, the nut and saddle are all that need to be adjusted to get the desired action.

I think the bottom line is that any guitar can benefit from having a truss rod. However, most guitarists are fine with an average relief setting and won't ever need to change it, so they can get away without a truss rod in a CF guitar due to the unique characteristics of composite construction.
yes.

For those who want to change string gauge ...... I went from lights on my rainsong jumbo to mediums. Of course it will have an effect on action. So I tune down a half step. It is almost exactly the same action.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber