The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

My OX RAW is a great little guit good to hear they're keeping it in the production line.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
So the cost will go up, they corrected the neck angle which was never really an issue, improved the structural integrity of the top which also was never an issue discussed anywhere, and they are slimming the neck although there have been no complaints about the current shape of the neck.

I read through the previous posts and I know Larry has complained about the neck angle and intonation on CA's but he has admitted that his only experience is with the Cargo. When I bought my GX I had over thirty guitars to pick from and I didn't notice any neck angle issues, the neck shape was/is great on my GX, and to date there are no structural issues either. Cargo aside, is there anyone here who has noticed neck angle, structural integrity, or neck shape issues with their standard models?
I had a GXi that had an underset neck - they replaced it at no expense to me, even shipping. I have had a number of others that were fine, including 5 Cargos as well as several GX models. I can't imagine slimming the neck any more unless they are going after strictly electric guitar players.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 AM

I agree the neck's are slim but I am hoping they mean less width as you go up the neck. That increase in width as you go up the neck I didn't really like. It is patterned after a Martin neck however.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I should at least make an appearance here...yep! Cargo!

Oh, was this a discussion about CA Guitars that included the others too? Oh well...yep! Cargo!

Glad to see that Peavey has picked up the product line and intends to make a go of it.

Go Cargo!

Tony
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM

They are initally bring back the GX, OX and Cargo first out of the box and then the other models. They are going to be bringing the GX out with a bit of a slimmer neck and have supposedly have corrected the neck angle issue. As far as carbons go...I have a CA OX and and Emerald X30 and like them both.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
So the cost will go up, they corrected the neck angle which was never really an issue.....

That's a pretty big rock you've been living under if you haven't surfaced often enough to read the many complaints here and elsewhere about CA neck angle issues. I've posted here a number of times that two out of three CA guitars (Legacy and GX models - not one of Larry's Cargos) that I have owned had to be sent back due to bad neck angles and excessive relief.

Sure it isn't every guitar they made, but from time to time their QC suffered and they turned out lemons. On the other hand, if you think 0.012" of relief, coupled with 7/64" of action is acceptable - then these "lemons" would have seemed perfectly fine. The issue for most folks was that you couldn't reduce the high relief with a truss rod (since there wasn't one) and you frequently couldn't drop the action since there wasn't enough saddle left - which is pretty much the definition of a bad neck angle.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Do y'ever get that Deja vu feeling, (yawn)..
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

I also have a CA OX which I feels is a great guitar. Am happy they are releasing these. To me these were the gem of the lineup especially if they release them in the Raw series. I also owned a Bluegrass Performer which I sold to get the OX. I have never noticed any neck issues with either of mine but who knows. There will be those who continue to state that this was a problem, as well as those of us who had no issues. I am just glad to see that some great guitars are being made again. I just wonder who will be carrying them. It sounds like Machnichol(probably wrong spelling) will. Hopefully Ted will jump in if LA Guitar Sales will be carrying them. I just wonder if some dealers wont because they felt burned by what happened prior to Peavey.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Though I never owned an OX (guitar or animal...), I always felt they (guitar) were great instruments. They are reasonably small (between a Cargo and the larger models) and the sound was really nicely balanced. If I were to look for something other than my Cargos, it would most likely have been an OX (guitar...).

Tony
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Not sure this is rocket science, they are bringing out the best sellers first. That will be a good gauge to see what damage if any has been done to demand with a year layoff.
Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Not sure this is rocket science, they are bringing out the best sellers first. That will be a good gauge to see what damage if any has been done to demand with a year layoff.
Steve
There are multiple sub-threads going on in this thread. Some here are just discussing various CA Guitars products, others are intent on what Peavey is bringing to market first, and others are just having fun because whenever "Cargo" is mentioned, things get "lively" and the threads extend forever until somebody is gracious enough to shut them down.

That said, I, and probably most here, would agree with your statement.

Tony
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Well, I owned two Cargo's and never had any problem with intonation or neck angle. I didn;t realize it was a problem with some of them. It seems like a good dealer wouldn;t sell one with such problems though.

Anyway, I wish I hadn;t sold my last Cargo. I'm missing it...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM

I bought a GX performer in December of 07. After brinigning it home and playing it I knotice a a couple of notes high up the fret board ( around 13th) that were a bit muted. play below it rang fine above fine. Took it bakc to the dealer and he played it and could not hear it( older gentleman) I said I could. well he took it back to his repair/set up room and then came back out and said try this. Well it no longer had the bad notes but not the action was high. he treated ne as If I did ot have a clue or could tell the difference in even a subtle change. ( I am one PITA when it comes to tone and playability as I HEAR everything and FEEL everything LOL -- a curse perhaps)
Well I said that was not acceptable and had another new one of the wall. I played every note all over the fret board and it sounded fine.
Now FF a couple of years and I am just at my end with the action and stiff playability. ( the whole carbon fiber facination was wearig off) I took the saddle down to get the action to where my Talyors were and it buzzed bad at the lower fretts. Well no blasted truss rod so I had to order new saddles to refit to get back to no buzzing. Action was still high. Wel lin spring of 2010 I played a New off the wall Taylor 816CE and it played like butter!!! Even withthe medium strings vs the lights on the GX the Taylor felt mush easier. action lower -- chould bar chord easier hand fatigue felt better etc. So I traded the GX that day and went back to Taylor

I will never again buy a CA with out adjustability. Those who say CA NEVER had any issues with necks then tell me WHY I had issues with the first one ( bad notes) and the 2nd could NOT get the playability anywhere CLOSE to my Taylor??? Could be the NECK ANGLE OR LACK OF ADJUSTABILTIY ?? YA THINK!!!!!
I have played many guitars of other people and ask them if it has always played like this and they look at me like a cow looking at a new gate. They have some gawd awful set ups but are perfectly fine with it-- THEY DON`T KNOW any better.
I liked the tone of it but my hands could not take the stress of poor playability anymore.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMa View Post
Well, I owned two Cargo's and never had any problem with intonation or neck angle. I didn;t realize it was a problem with some of them. It seems like a good dealer wouldn;t sell one with such problems though.

Anyway, I wish I hadn;t sold my last Cargo. I'm missing it...
with most wood guitars( with adjustability) a dealer could set it up to play better. not so much with the CA.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 AM

I think Taylor is the standard CNC manufacturing perfection. Also they designed their bolt on necks so that precise adjustments are easy. I am not sure that Carbon guitars by the nature of their manufacturing process are as easy to make perfect every time. I have rejected buying several brands of carbons because I knew I could not lower the action to where I wanted it. The only one I have that let me have a 4/64th at the 12 on the low E is a CA Legacy manufactured in Sept of 2009. I think it is somewhat the luck of the draw.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber