The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Played the Emerald, very nice guitar and great communication from the owner of the company. The smaller size didn't work for me. It has an arm bevel, which is awesome, but I found the back of the guitar dug into my ribs a bit. I'm a low-fat kind of guy, and I find the Rainsong OM fits better into the fleshier part of my chest muscle/armpit area, and the Emerald sat just a bit low, right against my rib cage. And based on sound, I like the Rainsong better. To me, it is a louder and more full sound. Others who own the Emerald seem to love it, though, so it (like most guitar things) is such a personal choice.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:12 PM

True. Human body dimensions and playing styles can greatly affect what is a comfortable guitar size/shape for different individuals. What I love, others might find uncomfortable.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I bought a rainsong 12fret concert series parlor and installed k&K. I got it for the boat but I really like the way it plays and sounds, so I've been playing it a lot at home. very happy with it.

My buddy bought a 12fret concert OM that I think sounds really really great.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 08-07-2016, 02:14 PM

I ahve a Rainsong Black Ice WS-1000. It's different than my Martin D-15, but as good as far as I'm concerned.

CF guitars have their own sound. Frankly, I love it.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm a RainSong Junky having owned over a dozen of them in various models. I currently have two of the RainSong WS1000 Classic Series.
I don't play out, yet (been saying that for how long now LOL) but I have one guitar ... RainSong WS1000-N1, made at the now defunked Hawaii plant and it plays extremely well, almost electric guitar-like action/feel. I think folks get hung up on the carbon graphite / carbon fiber thing too much, I mean, this guitar sounds different than a wood built guitar but no less high level of tone - just different. All depends how you amplify it really. Here's some neat stuff about the WS-1000-N1 (likely applies to many other RainSong models as well):

- can be left indefinitely in a car with the windows rolled up, in the sun on a hot summer afternoon and if interior/trunk temp is 120F or less, no problem
- there's nothing that will ever warp, no bowed neck, no 12th/14th fret 'hump" ... ever
- no misaligned neck angle to worry about, ever
- top wont crack unless it receives an impact from a hammer, axe, mic stand swung like a baseball bat, etc. Super tough stuff that carbon graphite
- as long as you're not plugged in with electronics, you can play this guitar while swimming underwater and except for the metal strings and possibly the metal tuning machines, no damage will occur. This guitar is waterproof

I love the tone of the high strings, very jingly and when you hit those strings juuuust right, you'll get tones/sounds I have personally never heard on a wood built acoustic.

Tried a Blackbird, sent it back. Nicely made guitar but tone sounded flat to my ears. Haven't tried an Emerald, they seem to have quite a selection - even a double neck model

Last edited by tomana; 08-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Guest 928

Tomana;

Well said!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber