The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 PM

Default DO I NEED A DI?

I own a Boss Gt1000 core, which only has 1/4”unbalanced outputs. But I am confused if this signal is still high z (like my initial instrument input) or if it has become Line level, after running through the processor and coming out a stereo signal. Does it matter?

I’d like to connect this processed Gt1000core stereo output, to my Audient 14mkii interface (rear combo inputs, 1&2). But Audient says those two inputs are Mic or Line input.

I heard, if the impedance levels are not correctly matched, the gain staging will be off and make a signal not as good as it can be. There maybe signal but it may not be ideal

I happen to own a quality stereo direct box (unbalanced in, Balanced Mic level output).The AudientÂ’s rear XLR inputs want to see Mic level. So, should I insert the DI in between the GT1000CORE and the Audient?

Very confused. I can’t be the only one trying to connect their modeler’s unbalanced outputs, into a stereo interface. But I don’t always hear everyone going through the hassle of actually adding a DI.

What is the norm?

Can I adjust the Boss’s output levels to match for the Audient’s Line inputs? Or?
Old 03-23-2024, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

From the manual, it says the output is -10dBu, which is line level. You can run a short unbalanced line to 1/4" input on the Audient. It won't be balanced, but it will work. If you use a DI, you may need to pad it down to use the XLR (mic) input. Or, you can get an XLR to TRS 1/4" male adapter if you're running a long cable and want the balanced cable. That's what I'd try - maybe someone will disagree...
Old 03-23-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
From the manual, it says the output is -10dBu, which is line level. You can run a short unbalanced line to 1/4" input on the Audient. It won't be balanced, but it will work. If you use a DI, you may need to pad it down to use the XLR (mic) input. Or, you can get an XLR to TRS 1/4" male adapter if you're running a long cable and want the balanced cable. That's what I'd try - maybe someone will disagree...
Oh, ok.

So, -10db is Line?

Looks like I may not need to use the DI.Thats a relief! I’ve already got the short 1/4” cables.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:53 PM

What really matters in a preamp or DI for a passive piezoelectric pickup is impedance matching. Google tells me the Boss Gt1000 input impedance is 1 Mohm and the output impedance is 1 kohm, so it is matching the high piezo output impedance with the typical input needs of a PA.

Unless you're using long (> 20 feet) cables from the Boss to the PA you don't need anything else.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPavelec2 View Post
Oh, ok.

So, -10db is Line?

Looks like I may not need to use the DI. Thats a relief! I’ve already got the short 1/4” cables.

Yes & no. There are 2 standards for "line level"

+4dBu - which all professional audio gear is referenced to, and outputs 1.228 volts at unity.

-10dBV - which is considered the "consumer" standard and outputs 0.317 volts at unity.

Does it matter...not really too much. You may just need slightly more gain than a device that outputs at the +4dBu reference level. That's only a problem you you have a lower end preamp that has [1] low gain & [b] higher self noise.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD