The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
This thing has the specs I've been hoping for. The true 48v phantom power, on board reverb, and 8-band EQ should mean that I no longer need to carry and setup my mixer.

For me, the S1 Pro's battery provided portability and resulting higher price was essentially worthless because I needed power for my mixer with EQ and 48v phantom power anyway.

The next time my local GC offers a 20% off new merchandise when trading in old gear, I might have to pick one up.

Agreed. That’s my plan.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Haven’t seen any mention yet of the Roland BA-330.
Might want to compare to that one, too.
It was on the original comparison

Original Portable Amp/Speaker thread

Browse the table to the right, it is the last Amp/speaker from the list
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-18-2019, 03:17 AM

https://youtu.be/8h4bfeFt9t8?t=441

Here's a video demo of the unit that I found, sounds loud, clean and pretty impressive!
Tried embedding with timestamp but didn't work, click on the link to go direct to the music playback

Last edited by necrome; 10-18-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 AM

LEt's embed
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Interesting - but no actual plugged in guitar or mic sample, and no idea of battery life - Seems like a good looking unit, though -
Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Interesting - but no actual plugged in guitar or mic sample, and no idea of battery life - Seems like a good looking unit, though -
That's true, I have external preamps so I often forget how JBL had issues with those. Looking forward to comprehensive English reviews soon! Seems like something I'd get since it claims a flatter response and more headroom than Bose's S1 Pro.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
The battery drain problem was fixed last year. I had one that did it and Bose sent me a brand new S1. Customer service is above a beyond good.
It was not solved. They sent me a replacement that still had the problem. There are many unhappy users who love the S1, but are not happy with the time it's taking Bose to implement a fix. They claimed they found the issue a few months ago and we're still waiting for the fix.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Mine was replaced a year later; I bought mine in 2018 and was replaced in 2019 and no drain issue. I read all seven pages and found some to have operator error. If you leave the Bluetooth on while turned to off, the battery will drain. If you leave it on while not using it, it will drain. While in the S1 backpack, the S1 can be switched on and drain. Basically, accidental turning on will drain it. The S1 also discharges normally while in use. I gleaned this out of 7 pages.
How can you leave bluetooth on when the unit is off?

The rest of what you gleaned still does not matter. Bose has admitted to the problem and asked us to wait for a plan to implement a fix.

Last edited by DavidE; 10-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

I have an S1. Bose replaced it because of the battery drain issue, and the replacement is pretty much the same. The key to using it on battery power is to charge it before you use it... it will run for hours on a full charge. But, if you let it sit for weeks (turned off) you may find the battery is discharged. Only an issue of you let it sit and have an impromptu need for it on battery.

As far as the S1 or a "copy"... I'll stay with the original.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have an S1. Bose replaced it because of the battery drain issue, and the replacement is pretty much the same. The key to using it on battery power is to charge it before you use it... it will run for hours on a full charge. But, if you let it sit for weeks (turned off) you may find the battery is discharged. Only an issue of you let it sit and have an impromptu need for it on battery.

As far as the S1 or a "copy"... I'll stay with the original.
Bose replaced my S1 too. I just checked my battery after sitting 6 days unplugged and Bose connect indicated 100% charge. I agree you need to leave it charged until you use it. On the Bose site nobody disputes the normal drainage while using it. I'll handle a 4 hr gig no problem.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Bose replaced my S1 too. I just checked my battery after sitting 6 days unplugged and Bose connect indicated 100% charge. I agree you need to leave it charged until you use it. On the Bose site nobody disputes the normal drainage while using it. I'll handle a 4 hr gig no problem.

Check it after 12 days and a couple of weeks. Bose connect doesn’t show drain until you reach 90%, so it could be 92% ands still show 100% on the app.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 AM

I leave mine plugged in all the time unless it's going out to be used.

It never drains down when it's plugged in...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
How can you leave bluetooth on when the unti is off?

The rest of what you gleaned still does not matter. Bose has admitted to the problem and asked us to wait for a plan to implement a fix.
I gleaned it because I read it. Don't ask me.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

This unit looks interesting to me. I will be interested in comparisons to the S1.

I like that the battery is easily replaceable. My Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge has a bad battery and it's going to be a major pain to replace it.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
This unit looks interesting to me. I will be interested in comparisons to the S1.

I like that the battery is easily replaceable. My Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge has a bad battery and it's going to be a major pain to replace it.
Considering the Mini Charge hasn't been out that long, it seems Fishman skimped on their battery QC I really hope this JBL Compact turns out to be good considering their Eon One Pro was pretty problematic according to buyers. More companies need to use 18650 (or better) generic batteries instead of their "proprietary" blocks because it's gets difficult to replace.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification