The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 10:13 AM

The few Taylors I've played, I really like the neck, action and how they play. HOWEVER, I don't like the tone/sound. Always seem 'thin' or 'tinny' to me. Both are personal preferences and you have to go with what works for you.

I sorta equate it to my relationship with IPA beers. A lot of people love them and they are a rage with the micro-brewing community; but, I don't like 'em. Every time I go out with friends and someone orders an IPA, I ask for a sip ... maybe I'll like it this time. Nope. (To each their own.)

Guess I'm just going to underscore what others have been saying: go with what works for you. If you like the way a Taylor plays and the sound, go for it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. (I don't think I've ever heard anyone complaining about Taylor build quality.)

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 03-20-2024, 10:31 AM

Taylor (IMHO) seems a good deal like Starbucks. They have many products, lots of stores and it sounds like they try to take care of their people, but, for some reason(s)many dislike the company, because, well, it’s Starbucks. Consider this: if their coffee was terrible they would not exist, at least at the level they do.
Now, I have never played a Martin that I would own (yet). From what I know, there are way too many issues with quality control, warranty and company policies (reread:from what I know). And I have never cared for the sound of any I have played, not that it is a lot. I AM A Taylor fan of sorts, but there are SO MANY folks playing Martins that I have to question my opinion. I have heard Martin instruments that I really like, but have never had the chance to play a nice one. But there are so many Martins out there that my opinion is obviously of little value. I do respect their reputation for making instruments for a long time…..
I like the way Taylor does business, quality control and their reputation for warranty service. And I feel like the company is doing a bit more than simply selling instruments and I like that aspect.
Yes, many Taylors tend to fall on the bright side sonically, but string changes can fix that……
Old 03-20-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Taylor (IMHO) seems a good deal like Starbucks. They have many products, lots of stores and it sounds like they try to take care of their people, but, for some reason(s)many dislike the company, because, well, it’s Starbucks. Consider this: if their coffee was terrible they would not exist, at least at the level they do.
Now, I have never played a Martin that I would own (yet). From what I know, there are way too many issues with quality control, warranty and company policies (reread:from what I know). And I have never cared for the sound of any I have played, not that it is a lot. I AM A Taylor fan of sorts, but there are SO MANY folks playing Martins that I have to question my opinion. I have heard Martin instruments that I really like, but have never had the chance to play a nice one. But there are so many Martins out there that my opinion is obviously of little value. I do respect their reputation for making instruments for a long time…..
I like the way Taylor does business, quality control and their reputation for warranty service. And I feel like the company is doing a bit more than simply selling instruments and I like that aspect.
Yes, many Taylors tend to fall on the bright side sonically, but string changes can fix that……
I'm curious how much the sentiment of Taylors being very bright would change if they weren't shipped with coated strings (Elixirs previously, XSs currently).
Old 03-20-2024, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

People like what they like. While the idea is totally foreign to me, some don't like the sound of Martin guitars. I've always liked the sound of Taylor guitars. My old 410 has aged into a quite resonant and lovely sound. While a little weak on the projecting bass notes, the midrange and high notes are beautiful, rich in overtones, yet maintaining clear separation. It's one of those guitars that just keeps demanding to be played.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-20-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
One of America's top 3 (or 4) acoustic guitar manufacturers, reliable output (not much variation between examples of any particular model), incredible Customer Service, lifetime warranty, easy to play necks (that can be adjusted simply instead of a full reset), a huge line to pick from, 50 years of history and a sound that many (though not all) really like. These are all reasons MANY (though certainly not "everybody") recommend Taylors.

Having said that the guitar you love to play is the guitar you love to play. While other people may have some predisposed notions and biases if you like it then it (generally) doesn't matter what it says on the headstock. Play a bunch. Taylors and non Taylors. Then pick the one(s) that YOU like.
Regarding their "incredible customer service" I would take issue with that. About 5 years ago I bought a Taylor 214 deluxe. In less than one year, the second and third frets has significant wear so much so that they would need dressing and replacement. And before anybody says "you're pressing the strings too hard" I have other guitars that show virtually no fret wear and I have had many years. So I contacted Taylor's "incredible customer service" and the they told me normal tear and wear, tough luck. Since this event I have met numerous other owners of that model taylor and the same experience..
Old 03-20-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
In less than one year, the second and third frets has significant wear so much so that they would need dressing and replacement. So I contacted Taylor's "incredible customer service" and the they told me normal tear and wear, tough luck.
That has nothing to do with customer service, and everything to do with their warranty policy -- two very different things.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
That has nothing to do with customer service, and everything to do with their warranty policy -- two very different things.
As a business owner, I can say that's absolutely customer service. How you serve the customer is not relegated to how polite your agents are. It's also how you take care of issues that arise. While I may not agree with the other poster about the fret issue, I can say that's a customer service and craftsmanship issue.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:59 PM

I can only speak to the Taylor I've played, an Academy 12. I might just be the lucky one, but it has a warm, round, full sound and has gotten even better in the 2 years I've owned it.

The ironic thing is that I've played many more expensive guitars that have all sounded inferior to my own. A few Breedloves, a PRS Angelus, and 2 Eastmans - all different sounds (and certainly not necessarily worse!!) but I found that mine had the warmest sound, which goes against everything I've heard about Taylors.

I really want to get a higher quality guitar someday, but in the realm of <3K I haven't played anything I like more. I just wish the string spacing was wider..
Old 03-20-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

There is not a whole lot of common ground here. Most people like them or they don't. I'm in the don't camp. I don't like the neck profiles, and like many, find them too bright. The ES 2 pickups are solidly in the they are ok category, and I think cutaways on an acoustic are plainly ugly.

You will find folks who love the necks, love the tone, love the pickups and swear they use the cutaway. Such is the world of subjectivity. You are wise to trust your own opinion.

There are people who dislike almost every shape, size, and manufacture of any guitar. Don't buy marketing, buy the guitar. And don't stress if your tastes change. It's part of the ride.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-20-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
Regarding their "incredible customer service" I would take issue with that. About 5 years ago I bought a Taylor 214 deluxe. In less than one year, the second and third frets has significant wear so much so that they would need dressing and replacement. And before anybody says "you're pressing the strings too hard" I have other guitars that show virtually no fret wear and I have had many years. So I contacted Taylor's "incredible customer service" and the they told me normal tear and wear, tough luck. Since this event I have met numerous other owners of that model taylor and the same experience..
Just because you have other guitars that don't show the same amount of wear doesn't mean you're NOT "pressing too hard". It just may be (and I actually believe it to be true) that Taylor uses some kind of softer metal for their fretwire. Not a ton softer (I have a 2006 that might just be getting to that wear point only just now) but enough that you might just be wearing it down with the pressure. Did you talk to Taylor customer service at the factory or was it an authorized repair place? 2 years certainly seems like a short time though it may be "normal" although now that it's been 5 you might get a different answer. Or not. But, as stated, what you have an issue with is "warranty" and not CS specifically. The CS reps can only do what warranty tells them is OK. Were they rude about it or did they just tell you "normal wear and tear" during the "no" and that seems like poor CS to you?
Old 03-20-2024, 06:56 PM

I’ve had two Taylors—a light one and a heavy one. It was, of course, the difference between Koa and Rosewood.
There’s no reason to think that Taylors as a brand are heavier or denser than other brands.

We internet guitar lovers are sometimes perhaps too willing to generalize from our particular firsthand perceptions . Perceptions which are themselves colored by prior experiences, unconscious biases, and unexamined associations.

Something to keep in mind.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Lest we all forget, this forum used to be the original unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum.

I have had excellent customer service with Taylor, up to and including them taking back to the factory my then twenty-two-year old K14c to repair finish issues.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-20-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Lest we all forget, this forum used to be the original unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum.

I have had excellent customer service with Taylor, up to and including them taking back to the factory my then twenty-two-year old K14c to repair finish issues.

Bob
Last year, I inquired about the cost of refinishing the body of my old mid-90s 555 12-strings. It was a pre-UV finish. I am not the original owner, so I knew going in that it would be an out-of-pocket expense. Their e-mail response was prompt and courteous, and the cost estimate was well within my estimated budget. So, even for the second-hand market, I have found Taylor's customer service excellent.

Tommy
Old 03-21-2024, 03:22 AM

Its worth noting that the additional weight is coming from the neck. That weight is not inhibiting the production of sound. The term "heavily built" refers more to the the construction of soundboard, bracing. In fact a heavier neck would dissipate less energy, allowing more to be transferred to the top.

I've played bright Taylors for sure. Those tended to be the smaller bodied guitars that I think of as stage guitars for singer songrwiter types, and in a full band setting. I wouldnt characterize the dreads I've owned as "bright".
Old 03-21-2024, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
With the frequency of threads like this one its more like the "hate on Taylor" forum. Or maybe that was the original intent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion