The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 11:57 PM

Rather than ask "what's your best price on this?" Just make a (reasonable) offer of your own. A seller's "best price" is going too be the one that nets him the most.

The seller can accept your offer, turn it down outright, or make a counter-offer.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:11 AM

If I'm buying from a shop I may ask if they would take 10-20 percent off, depending on the item. If I'm buying from a private seller, I will generally make an offer, unless they priced the item really well.

I have never bought a guitar from a small builder, like the OP is describing, but in that scenario I personally wouldn't ask for a discount on their price.

I think of other things that I have purchased from small builders, such as my canoe, camping gear, guitar amps and pedals, and in those cases I never asked for a discount on their prices.

When my name comes up on the King of Tone waiting list, I'm going to say, "Hey Mike, what's the best you can do for me on this King of Tone pedal?"
Old 03-10-2024, 06:32 AM

Never haggle over items of magical importance
Old 03-10-2024, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
All haggling ain't the same. One thing to haggle with a merchant over what they'll accept for merchandise. It's quite something else to try to haggle with a builder over a commission. Tracy Kidder's book, 'House', follows a house builder's work, from breaking ground to handing over the keys. Along the way the buyer asked the builder to round down his bill. That didn't sit well. The job was materials-and-labor. The builder shaved enough corners to reduce the materials and effort to the amount the buyer wanted to strike off the bill. He got what he paid for. The same stunt with a luthier will, I suspect, get a similar response plus earn the enmity of the luthier for the lack of appreciation and respect for his work.
Agreed, fully.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
Never haggle over items of magical importance
You mean like wands, capes and top hats from which rabbits arise???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-10-2024, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

To me it all depends on what the asking price is and how much I'm willing to pay for a guitar, or anything for that matter. I have usually done my homework and know what something is worth. I will never low ball. I think I offered 100 less for my 0000 sinker and it was quickly accepted. Paid asking for my D35 as it was already priced to sell. Paid full asking price for my D18 as it was also priced good. Got I think 50 bucks off my D16E from Maury when the new pricing system started.

I know what it's like to try and sell something and people start low balling, and in my mind, trying to steal stuff from me. Ain't happening.

I will haggle with a retailer before I will with a private seller.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Your post made me smile!
Too many look at the price of ONE guitar (luthier built) and come on here with "The guy's making a ton of money".
Unitl you look at how many guitars he's making a year, do the math, and see that he/she is GROSSING $120K, and out of that $120K, he/she buys materials, his/her time, insurance, location, tools, etc. With VERY few exceptions, you better not be expecting to get rich building guitars by yourself.
I get what you are saying here and I'm sure Mr Kopp is aware of his business model and what he needs to do to be financially viable. That's his job not other peoples.
When you buy a car I'll bet you don't pour over the finances of the manufacturer or the dealership.
We live in a capitalist economic model which means Mr Kopp can choose to remain with the business model he's chosen or he can try to become Martin or anything in between.
I'm sure Mr Kopp has no problem telling prospective customers what his bottom-line pricing is and that may well be his original quote. He's been around long enough to know his pricing strategy and how it effects his bottom line.
There's no harm in negotiating and I'd bet he takes no offense.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

If I were a luthier and someone wanted a discount on a custom guitar I'd say sure, what do you want me to leave out?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-10-2024, 07:17 PM

Default a thought

I've seen some luthiers offer a set of specifications and set a price. Want more? Pay more. But the luthier won't build to a lesser specification with their name on it.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:30 PM

Some have "lines" that are made less expensively, no frills, but all the sound and craftsmanship. Some have given them a different name to differentiate between their normal "best" models and others just use their regular name. And this has been done in a variety of ways by others, including manufacturers (think: Leach/Arctos, Martin/Shenandoah, Bourgouis and their Chinese-made line, Sexauer and his WRX line....).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:45 PM

Default "Haggle" no. But

make an offer to a private seller, sure.

make an offer to s retail place, maybe.

make an offer to a builder, no.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Some have "lines" that are made less expensively, no frills, but all the sound and craftsmanship. Some have given them a different name to differentiate between their normal "best" models and others just use their regular name. And this has been done in a variety of ways by others, including manufacturers (think: Leach/Arctos, Martin/Shenandoah, Bourgouis and their Chinese-made line, Sexauer and his WRX line....).
I believe Huss & Dalton did a more basic line during a lean period so that they could keep their small staff on salary... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=247039

The all new "Road Series" by Huss and Dalton Guitar Company. The Road Series is a more affordable take on the beautiful custom guitars made by Huss and Dalton. The only real difference is the Satin finish they use on the back/sides and peghead. Still hand made by the some of the finest luthiers in the world!
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-10-2024 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:32 PM

I doubt a builder would give you the time of day -
maybe figure out a way to cut a price on a build but leaving
out smething frilly like inlay etc. But to ask a builder for a deal
on a new existing built guitar - He/she should show you the door !

Old 03-11-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
...But to ask a builder for a deal
on a new existing built guitar - He/she should show you the door !

If they did that, they'd lose of lot of their sales.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
If I were a luthier and someone wanted a discount on a custom guitar I'd say sure, what do you want me to leave out?
And I would respond with ”the attitude”.

I’m surprised by some of the responses here. If a builder sells through dealers, they’re giving the dealer a discount, which means that they have room to give an individual buyer a discount, too. That doesn’t mean that they will, of course, but it really doesn’t hurt to ask.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion