The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2024, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Mods, please delete duplicate post. thanks

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-21-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

No complaints with my 3-year old Eastman AC422CE, at least once I swapped out the stock Ping tuners for some much smoother drop-in Gotohs in gun-metal gray (I do that with most guitars).

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/ac422ce

Flawless construction and attention to detail. Smooth, articulate action all the way up above the octave. Excellent volume and tone, even with custom light/11-54s, (didn't notice or miss the standard 12s a bit). Plugged and unplugged, rock and blues lead riffs really cut through the mix - important in an acoustic duo.

I gig with it, and I'd buy another one today if it disappeared.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-21-2024 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I have owned several and still own two - E20SSv -Adirondack/Rosewood slope & E40OM - Adirondack and Rosewood 000. I find both to be excellent guitars -well made, great tone but maybe a little heavy. FWIW I find them to be more than just good guitars “for the price”.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I can only speak for the one I recently bought and I think it is great by any standard. It happens to be one of their lower models an E100ss-sb. Very nice build quality and surprising amenities. Tortoise binding,bone nut and saddle wood bridge pins and sturdy soft case. It has great tone and actually came set up very well. I bought it partially as a guitar to keep out at all times and it gets more playing time than I expected.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 01-21-2024, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardycreek1 View Post
Short answer, yes.

Here's what Matt Keefer posted on FB:

"The beauty of Eastman is that they're built to a standard that only a few others can equal, but sold at a price that musicians can actually afford.

They represent a quality proposition that can't really be ignored."
Matt Keefer? THE MATT KEEFER ?

Nope, never heard of him either. But agree, Eastman makes great guitars.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:44 PM

I have 3 Martins and 3 Eastmans. My best Martin, a D-18 MD and my best Eastman, a DT-30D, are very comparable in build quality and materials. Some who hear me play prefer the Martin, others the Eastman. I think the Martin smells better and has a better case. The Martin has a better resale, so I’ll probably keep the Eastman longer, not wishing to lose more.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:52 PM

I own 2 Eastmans an E10 OM, built fine but neck depth is too thin for my likes and tone is thin and trebly. Also a E10P now it has what I consider a chunky neck that I like, I need to have it setup right as playability needs a lot of improvement past 5th fret. I would have to have owned every brand to claim they are 2nd to none as I've seen said before by some folks... smh...oh and other folks opinions whoever they are mean little to me
Old 01-21-2024, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1 View Post
Matt Keefer? THE MATT KEEFER ?

Nope, never heard of him either. But agree, Eastman makes great guitars.
Really?? He’s a legend.

https://www.gsg-cpa.com/leadership/matt-keefer/
Old 01-21-2024, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Is this him...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waldo guitar.jpg (51.1 KB, 389 views)
Old 01-21-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
I own 2 Eastmans an E10 OM, built fine but neck depth is too thin for my likes and tone is thin and trebly. Also a E10P now it has what I consider a chunky neck that I like, I need to have it setup right as playability needs a lot of improvement past 5th fret. I would have to have owned every brand to claim they are 2nd to none as I've seen said before by some folks... smh...oh and other folks opinions whoever they are mean little to me
Usually people refer to Eastman necks as being on the chunky side. It’s one of the primary reasons I would like to try them out. This thread notwithstanding, the overall view on Eastman guitars on the many, many threads that I have read about them on here has been overwhelmingly positive. To each their own of course.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I’ve really liked the ones I’ve owned except that the necks aren’t my favorite. Tone and build was always very high. I may try another.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
Usually people refer to Eastman necks as being on the chunky side.
The reason I don't care for folks opinions, what one likes another dislikes and Eastman's neck depth is a personal dislike for me except for the Parlor. You may like them so my opinion means nothing but to me.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Local stores wanted me to pre-pay for my special-order AC422EC and then wait a couple months. This was right at the peak of the plague with sluggish supply lines. I don't know how things are for Eastman now.

So I called around an found a store that guaranteed full money back if it finally showed up and I didn't want it for any reason. Loved it, kept it, still love it.

I recommend setting up the same kind of deal with any guitar maker if you can't play it first - even a brand/model you already know well.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-21-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
The reason I don't care for folks opinions, what one likes another dislikes and Eastman's neck depth is a personal dislike for me except for the Parlor. You may like them so my opinion means nothing but to me.
I 100% agree with that. I was just noting your comment because I had always heard they had chunky necks and have considered that as a plus, now I know that’s not a universal opinion. When you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, you have to use other people’s experiences to help with future purchasing decisions. It’s only part of the equation, but it helps.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

It adds nothing to the conversation to say that I wouldn’t buy an Eastman, but I do wish those who own them the best with their choice.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion