The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

If there would have been some decent patent lawyers back in the 1800's all this silliness could have been avoided. Oh well, hats off to Martin Co. for staying in business for this many years.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hey, maybe the binding doesn't come off before it needs a neck reset?
This made me laugh out loud….thank you!
Old 01-17-2023, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
If there would have been some decent patent lawyers back in the 1800's all this silliness could have been avoided. Oh well, hats off to Martin Co. for staying in business for this many years.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they’re great and I’d probably want one if I played it, but it’s just some of the design choices are very deliberately copying , whereas I can tell an Eastman is an Eastman and a Kopp is a Kopp because they have some original design choices that make them unique. I don’t see anything original with the pre wars.
I mean that's literally the point of these guitars...they are trying to recreate the sound and look of vintage Martins and Gibsons at "budget" (compared to the real deal) prices. Google "pre war guitar company" and right under their site it says "Aged REPRODUCTIONS OF Pre-War Martin and Gibson style ACOUSTIC GUITARS FROM THE 1930'S AND 40'S."

You can call it copying or unoriginal or whatever else you want, the reality is that there is a huge market of people who would love to own a pre-war Martin or Gibson but simply can't afford it, and that makes these guitars highly desirable.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:53 PM

Never underestimate the buying power of Boomer nostalgia. It's the greatest consumer spending force the world has ever known. Millions of people born in the mid-late 20th century have yearned for a "pre-war Martin" all their adult lives. And while they might not have the means to buy a playable, original, vintage example they can sure grab a reproduction. Whether from Martin or from some other vendor.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

If a person wants a pre-war guitar, Pre-War is one place to get it without the huge price tag. And a pre-war gutar is going to generally be a Martin though there are pre-war Gibsons, too. And Pre-War makes copies of those, too.

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
They look just like Martins. Seem to copy everything about them. They come with a pre-worn option, which is a bizarre thing that I don't understand. They even have the little company stamp logo on the back of the headstock like Martins. I don't get it. Also, shouldn't it be against the law to sell a product that copies another in almost every way? Don't get me wrong, I love boutique guitars, small business, etc. , but come one , make something original.
That's very unfortunate..... Well the plus side is you will save a lot of money.

I think a different way to look at it might be, Pre War Guitars goal is to bring the closest thing that they can create to those golden era guitars without a person needing to take out a second mortgage.

I think also Martin may have saw how successful these guy's were and the demand for their guitars that they decided to come out with the Authentic line, who knows, but I'm sure glad we as consumers have these options.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I was about to point out the same thing Bridgepin. Didn’t PWG start making aged copies of prewar Martins before Martin? Just askin’
Old 01-17-2023, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

You didn't ask me but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-17-2023, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Default I don't get Pre War Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Never underestimate the buying power of Boomer nostalgia. It's the greatest consumer spending force the world has ever known. Millions of people born in the mid-late 20th century have yearned for a "pre-war Martin" all their adult lives. And while they might not have the means to buy a playable, original, vintage example they can sure grab a reproduction. Whether from Martin or from some other vendor.

Millions of people yearn for pre war martins? All their adult lives? Quite the statement(s)
Old 01-17-2023, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

This thread seems to be a deliberate copy of 10,000 other AGF thread. Too bad the OP of the original copycat thread didn’t copyright his work!

OP, you’ve been a member here for a year and a half and have nearly 1,300 posts. Surely, you are aware that there are dozens (probably over a hundred) companies that are copying old Martin and Gibson designs. PW is one of many.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Millions of people yearn for pre war martins? All their adult lives? Quite the statement(s)
Hundreds of thousands then?

There's probably two dozen such people on any given Friday night at the local bluegrass jam session down the road from me.

For as long as I've been aware of Bluegrass and other (acoustic) guitar music people have talked about "a pre-war Martin" as being the ultimate guitar but one they'd never have a chance of playing, much less owning.

It's definitely a thing, for a lot of people. Has been for decades.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-17-2023, 07:37 PM

Well when C.F. Martin Company is putting out Junk like this! https://reverb.com/p/martin-d-420-li...4-graphic-2017
Old 01-17-2023, 07:47 PM

I don’t get pre-war guitars, either. Not for my birthday, Christmas, my anniversary, or any other occasion. It’s a shame because I’ve wanted one for quite a while now.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 01-17-2023, 08:04 PM

So what exactly is copied? Martin's shape isn't that unique. And I don't think tone is something you can make an exact copy of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion