The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 PM

Default Breedlove Premier Auditorium 12 String

Has anyone played this guitar? Thoughts? Not much info out there. Though it sounds very nice in the video below.

How are the made in oregon Breedlove 12 strings, in general?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:36 PM

I have a Breedlove Passport Plus C250/SB-12, close to, if not nine years old, Korean. It has an undersaddle ust beneath a tusq saddle, both switched for bone, which proved too lush, so back to the ust and tusq - much better definition. Heavy neck/tuners. The shallow C shape gives my hand the impression that the neck is wider than it actually is - contact on the base of the fingers and thumb, no support on the palm.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:58 PM

They make the least comfortable neck of any high-quality acoustic I've ever played. That was a big reason I sold my Breedlove 12-string.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:00 AM

Hey, thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. I usually prefer a thicker neck profile myself, but I bought one of their guitars a month ago and was surprised to notice that I quickly adapted to the neck. I have had issues with thin necks on two other guitars that I've had to trade in for others. I still prefer the thicker necks, but have not had issues with the breedlove I have so far (knock on wood!).

The 12 strings are slightly wider (actually just 1 7/8" - which seems kinda narrow for a 12er) so maybe the flatter neck profile will be more noticeable. I am not sure.

I put in an offer during a weak moment on one of these 12 string guitars, not expecting it to be accepted and, well, it was. so I have one coming to me now. I usually don't like buying guitars without playing them first so was curious to see if anyone has played this model. I don't see much about them anywhere, at all!

If anyone else has experience with a breedlove 12 string, especially this auditorium model, I'd love to hear about it!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
They make the least comfortable neck of any high-quality acoustic I've ever played. That was a big reason I sold my Breedlove 12-string.
I have had the opposite experience.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:40 PM

Just wanted to add a quick note, in case any one else ever searches for information about these guitars:

Mine just came today. Unfortunately, somebody dropped something on the package - the case was flattened on one side and there was a huge gouge through the top of the case. Luckily the guitar itself seems undamaged. I quite surprised it is fine as the gouge was right over the soundboard adjacent to the bridge and the wood of the case's lid has certainly dented right through - you can feel the corner of the busted wood sticking out beneath the foam of the lid's interior. The wood must have missed the top of the guitar by a couple of millimeters!

I broke the higher octave G string while tuning it up. So I'm playing it with 11 strings..

Quality is what one would expect from an Oregon made Breedlove - impeccable. It is a heavy guitar (compared to my very light 6 strings), which surprised me. Neck heavy, too. It has one of those bridge truss things - I wonder if that adds weight as well.

The Auditorium shape is quite nice. A smidge wider than their newer concert body, but it does not seem as deep. Very comfortable guitar, I was expecting it to be too big.

I have played this guitar for a few hours today. It was quite a shock when I first played it - it sounded terrible to my ear. Weirdly reverby and I struggled to pluck singing highs.

But it is growing on me quickly. One thing: the fret wire used seems a bit thinner and lower than what I am used to. I don't enjoy this very much, but expect to get acclimated.

Anyway, all in all, I am having a great time banging on this thing tonight. It has great bass - I will likely experiment with strings until I find something that makes those highs sing. I think I will swap the octaves for the E A and D strings around. I am growing to really like this sound and expect to like it more as I get more familiar with the guitar.

All in all: a very good guitar that I am enjoying getting to know.

Oh, the neck: is not too flat or too wide (for me). I was using a national thumb pick and fingertone finger picks on this today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion