The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Is Sapele inferior to Mahogany?

Sapele is sometimes characterized as a starter tonewood, or down in the tonewood hierarchy. At least I know of 2 or 3 major guitar makers who have it in the lower echelon models. What is your opinion on Sapele?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Sapele is sometimes characterized as a starter tonewood, or down in the tonewood hierarchy.
It is characterized that way by whom?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I don't think that it's inherently inferior, just different. Companies use it on lower end guitars because it's less expensive, and less traditional.

I personally think that "lower end" sapele looks better than "lower end" Honduran Mahogany... I like the striping.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:53 PM

I have two mahogany guitars and two sapele guitars. The two mahogany guitars are nicer guitars, but that's because they are Martins. However, I am pleased with the sapele guitars, a Taylor and a Breedlove, especially in terms of bang for the buck.

Any preference I have for mahogany is probably due to its light weight more than anything. My impression of sapele is that it's a bit more rugged, and less affected by humidity, an important consideration where I live. Because of its density, it tends to be slightly brighter than mahogany.

I would not deem sapele inferior to mahogany, per se. I probably prefer the warmth of mahogany, but the sapele provides a nice alternative, especially environmentally.

Last edited by bufflehead; 01-24-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:54 PM

It can be top drawer stuff:

Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

In a word. . .NO. So many strange "myths" out there.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:07 PM

In my opinion, Sapele is not a lesser tonewood than a highly coveted wood like Brazilian Rosewood. It is a good substitute for Mahogany and is more affordable.

When I first got out of college I worked as quality control chemist in a suntan lotion mfg facility. One of the guys from R&D was telling me how the place he worked previously use to manufacture this ultra expensive face cream costing almost $1k for a small jar. The cream used high quality components but nothing that would make it cost more than double for something the average person buys at a store. Interestingly, the vast majority of the cost was for marketing and the container, which was ornate and expensive.

I have a $5k Brazilian RW back/side set on my site - it's a reasonable price (as dictated by the market) as sets of this quality are rare. Brazilian RW makes fantastic guitars but there are more affordable options that produce a similar tone. Mahogany sounds different than Rosewood but it is absolutely not a lesser sound. If Mahogany was ultra rare and Brazilian RW plentiful - you would see Mahogany guitars with several thousand dollar upcharges.

The point is don't confuse price with inherent value. The price of tonewoods is due to scarcity. That being said, don't expect Sapele to sound like Rosewood - it doesn't but that's a good thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:18 PM

I think Sapele gets a bad rap as being inferior because it is often used as a less expensive option to Mahogany - which is obviously widely recognized as a great tonewood.

Sapele is quite similar to 'hog, which indeed makes it an attractive choice for buyers wanting to save some money. However, that is not to say it isn't fabulous in it's own right.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

No, similar, and just .. a little different.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:24 PM

As the owner of one of each, the old D-18 with mahogany back and sides, and the Fender PM-2 all-sapele (Fender calls it all-solid mahogany), I can say . . .

. . . I don't know.

But I am certain that members here with their finely-honed acoustically perfect ears can tell you there is a difference, and it ain't good news.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM

Inferior? No. Less desirable? In some circles yes. But it is only less desirable because it is almost always compared to SA Mahogany which has been used for hundreds of years, recorded countless a number of times, and so on.

If some luthier built a Sapele guitar and someone like Eric Clapton went on tour and recorded with it then everyone would want it.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:35 PM

Sapele looks funny, and I don't think is as nice as Khaya. But what I really would like is a guitar made of the "real thing" which is Swietenia mahagoni.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:40 PM

I have played Sapele and Mahogany guitars side by side (same model, same builder).

The Sapele was very slightly brighter sounding. The difference was very subtle.

Sapele is not inferior. In fact, due to availability, most Sapele on the market is superior to mahogany in terms of straightness, stiffness, etc.

The big downside to Sapele is on the builder side. The dust is a nasty allergen (like cocobolo) so most domestic manufacturers have switched from Sapele to either Khaya or Sipo.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I think Sapele gets a bad rap as being inferior because it is often used as a less expensive option to Mahogany - which is obviously widely recognized as a great tonewood.

Sapele is quite similar to 'hog, which indeed makes it an attractive choice for buyers wanting to save some money. However, that is not to say it isn't fabulous in it's own right.
I've said it before but maybe not to this crowd: I have a $3200 (at the time) Rosewood Martin GPC-28E and a $699 Sapele Martin GPRS1, and while I love the GPC-28E if I were forced to play only the GPRS1 I'd be perfectly happy. Some of the cost difference is Nazareth v. Mexico, but not all and the tone of that Sapele is fantastic. This may be influenced partly by my playing Mahogany for years before my first (beloved) Rosewood.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

From my understanding, Sapele doesn't cost as much as good mahogany, which in turn gives it a societally less worth. I've owned some great hogs over the years, but the late '90s Taylor 310 I had is the one that I think about more than any of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion