The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Cheap Rockabilly guitar?

...by "cheap" I'm talking the sub-$300 range. I know that is laughable to most people here.

Just like the title says, wanting something smallish, inexpensive and sturdy for bashing out some sweaty rockabilly/upbeat country/jump blues sorta fare.

My first thought was a Gretsch Jim Dandy. They are cheap, cool, I love Gretsch stuff...but I've played a few Dandys and while they are fun and great for what they are, they come across a little thin and boxy sounding to me.

Other contenders would be an Epiphone AJ or one of their takes on the J-200...played a maple (lam) one of those a few months back, used at $300. Wish I'd scored it.

But due to issues with my feet and legs, I'm not sure I could stand through a gig while playing. This alone concerns me--I mean, how exciting can a rockabilly show be with the performer sitting on a stool?

At any rate, looking at something smaller-bodied I came across this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...oonlight-burst

...and thought it might fit the bill. I usually don't care for highly figured wood grain (and this could be photoflash... if not, just a thin veneer) but I'm digging the gray "moonlight burst."

I thought it might look sharp with a red tort pickguard and voila.

I'm not very acquainted with Fender acoustics.

Does anyone by chance have any experience with this Fender FA-235?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and discussion.

- John Shedd
Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 PM

The Epiphone Inspired by 1964 Texan is AJ shaped, solid top, back and laminated sides and can be had used at less than $300 any day.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-06-2018, 02:21 PM

I have a Recording King Dirty 30s rph-05, which I keep in the living room and is great for bashing things out. This guy does it justice...

https://youtu.be/qiNsi65YeRc
Old 11-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Take a look at the Epiphone Hummingbird too, but if you're looking for a smaller body try the Yamaha FSX800C. It's acoustic/electric for $299.00 and probably available cheaper than that.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:37 PM

I have a Fender CP60S arriving tomorrow via FedEx. I wanted to try it out in person but there were none available. I read tons of positive reviews, and at $199 there’s little at risk. I’ll submit my own review tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Here is an Alvarez AF610ESB. You can likely find a used one at GC for under $300.00. If you offered $300.00 or less for this one, you might very well get it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alvarez-AF6...DMA:rk:10:pf:0
Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Also, check out The Loar 204 Brownstone.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
...Just like the title says, wanting something smallish, inexpensive and sturdy for bashing out some sweaty rockabilly/upbeat country/jump blues sorta fare...

But due to issues with my feet and legs, I'm not sure I could stand through a gig while playing. This alone concerns me--I mean, how exciting can a rockabilly show be with the performer sitting on a stool?

I usually don't care for highly figured wood grain...

I thought it might look sharp with a red tort pickguard...
If you're willing to save up a few extra bucks, got your guitar right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Godin-5th-Arc...ct_top?ie=UTF8

These guitars are the latter-day incarnation of those '50s Harmony and Kay student guitars everybody and his cousin Louie played when I was a kid, but built to a standard of quality even some of the upmarket makers didn't approach - very reminiscent of the old Harmony Broadway I learned on in the early-60's, and the black version is a near dead-ringer for the now-rare Harmony Montclair (fit that one with a white skinny strap for a total honky-tonk/rockabilly period vibe); the slightly shallower body depth and thin (laminated) body woods make for an exceptionally lightweight instrument - mine scales in somewhere in the low/mid-fours - and strung with a set of Martin Monel mediums it's the sound of every streetcorner doo-wop group I heard in my old Brooklyn neighborhood. Only change I'd make is to swap the GraphTech bridge for rosewood (about $20 from StewMac, and it's a drop-in fit on this guitar - no need to have your tech match the base to the top contour) in the interest of tone; be advised also that they come from the factory with PB 12's - far from the best setup when it comes to tonal potential, and I wouldn't make any judgments until after changing/breaking in your preferred strings - and while the aforementioned Monels really bring out the period vibe, if you're after all-out cutting power (that midrange-focused "bark" these instruments are known for) and you have sufficient left-hand strength, it'll handle a set of 14's with a simple ten-minute neck/bridge adjustment. Finally, IME the laminated construction has absolutely no detrimental effect on tone (something the makers of mass-market upright basses have known for over 80 years) and I actually prefer it to the comparably-priced/appointed solid-top Gretsch New Yorker - perhaps blasphemy coming from a lifelong Gretsch player, but I'll choose tone every time regardless of the label...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're willing to save up a few extra bucks, got your guitar right here:

https://www.amazon.com/Godin-5th-Arc...ct_top?ie=UTF8

These guitars are the latter-day incarnation of those '50s Harmony and Kay student guitars everybody and his cousin Louie played when I was a kid, but built to a standard of quality even some of the upmarket makers didn't approach - very reminiscent of the old Harmony Broadway I learned on in the early-60's, and the black version is a near dead-ringer for the now-rare Harmony Montclair (fit that one with a white skinny strap for a total honky-tonk/rockabilly period vibe); the slightly shallower body depth and thin (laminated) body woods make for an exceptionally lightweight instrument - mine scales in somewhere in the low/mid-fours - and strung with a set of Martin Monel mediums it's the sound of every streetcorner doo-wop group I heard in my old Brooklyn neighborhood. Only change I'd make is to swap the GraphTech bridge for rosewood (about $20 from StewMac, and it's a drop-in fit on this guitar - no need to have your tech match the base to the top contour) in the interest of tone; be advised also that they come from the factory with PB 12's - far from the best setup when it comes to tonal potential, and I wouldn't make any judgments until after changing/breaking in your preferred strings - and while the aforementioned Monels really bring out the period vibe, if you're after all-out cutting power (that midrange-focused "bark" these instruments are known for) and you have sufficient left-hand strength, it'll handle a set of 14's with a simple ten-minute neck/bridge adjustment. Finally, IME the laminated construction has absolutely no detrimental effect on tone (something the makers of mass-market upright basses have known for over 80 years) and I actually prefer it to the comparably-priced/appointed solid-top Gretsch New Yorker - perhaps blasphemy coming from a lifelong Gretsch player, but I'll choose tone every time regardless of the label...
That Godin 5th Avenue is an excellent guitar. I used to have the Kingpin II. But don't buy one from Amazon. They rarely have the best price on guitars and certainly not this one. It is half the price at GC. https://www.guitarcenter.com/search?...din+5th+avenue
Old 11-06-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
That Godin 5th Avenue is an excellent guitar. I used to have the Kingpin II...
I still do - and it's not going anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
...But don't buy one from Amazon. They rarely have the best price on guitars and certainly not this one...
PSA: Right about this time of year Amazon starts playing an interesting little game with prices - particularly on slower-selling items - and just like MF's Stupid Deal of the Hour, if you keep checking back in frequently you really can score a great deal; FYI street price on the (Kingpin) CW II is $1K (as it has been since its introduction), got mine brand-new for just over $600 Christmas Day 2012 - and if you're really interested you might want to start watching the listings a couple times a day...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Guest 728

What about that Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat? It retails for $350 and has kind of a rockabilly vibe with the cat and skulls inlays, etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
What about that Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat? It retails for $350 and has kind of a rockabilly vibe with the cat and skulls inlays, etc.
I had one of these and they're actually great little guitars. They make a version with built-in electronics, and that's what I had.

Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat

They also make these in matte black, a cool shade of blue, an okay eggshell white, and a truly hideous lime green.

Here's the blue, which I think is quite attractive:

˙˙˙

Here's the checkerboard finish, which is a bit too Rick Nielsen-esque for my taste, but which IS kind of cool in its own way...

˙˙˙

Muddslide, the only reservation I have about that little Fender OM you showed us is the laminated maple top. But if you're mainly going to be playing it plugged in, that might actually be to your advantage.

It is possible to get a guitar with a solid top at that same price point, and that will sound better acoustically. That's why I recommend the Tim Armstrong Hellcat models, because they do have solid tops and sound quite good when you're not plugged in.

Up to you, naturally.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 AM

Wow. I really do appreciate all the responses. This is a great, encouraging, knowledgeable group here on AGF.

I'm going to pace my responses, but you've all given me a lot to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
The Epiphone Inspired by 1964 Texan is AJ shaped, solid top, back and laminated sides and can be had used at less than $300 any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
Take a look at the Epiphone Hummingbird too...
I must say, an Epi has been on my radar for quite some time, and I'm seriously considering one for this purchase and purpose.

For one thing, I'm a huge lover of Gibson acoustics and have owned a few. I can no longer afford one, nor do my current playing abilities warrant one. I just can't play like I used to.

Also, for my needs and the kind of use I expect this guitar to be put to, I actively am not seeking anything high end or all solid woods. It needs to be something that is relatively unaffected by temperatures and humidity, can get played hard and not be devalued by battle scars.

I'm okay with even a laminated top, especially if I end up with an A/E or use some pickup system. I'm not excluding a solid top, however.

At any rate, I've been thinking Epiphone for quite some time. No, they ain't Gibsons, but for short money I can get a decent, playable guitar that is very reminiscent of one, at least aesthetically.

So, yes. An Epi AJ or J200 or Hummingbird may very well be the ticket I get punched.

Before I continue I should add: I'm not a person who cares to own much. My possessions are minimal. It's hard for me to envision having more than two guitars. I didn't use to be that way--I was a music instrument and gear hoarder of the first water.

But now I have one electric bass, one acoustic guitar and a couple of ukuleles. Even that seems like an overabundance at times.

I am, however, more settled than I ever have been before in a life full of (largely self-imposed) upheaval and constant moving. I'm 50, am with an amazing Lady, and we are planning to buy a home next year.

So who knows. I might end up with a music room again, and pick up some nice, inexpensive guitars.

Part of me likes the idea of having ONE guitar that all the guitar playing I do moves through...

Another part of me does experience GAS and wants an electric, a nylon string, a 12 string, an arch top, a resonator and a slew of cool steel strung 6ers to keep set up for alternate tuning, etc.

I don't know who I am anymore!

- John Shedd
Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Epiphone also makes a "Inspired by" remake of the 60's Caballero. It is 000 shaped and all laminate. It has electronics already included. It would be all but bullet-proof.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
Part of me likes the idea of having ONE guitar that all the guitar playing I do moves through...

Another part of me does experience GAS and wants an electric, a nylon string, a 12 string, an arch top, a resonator and a slew of cool steel strung 6ers to keep set up for alternate tuning, etc.

I don't know who I am anymore!
Establishing an identity for who we are in music,
what exactly we should do with instruments;
Is what makes us unique. Or makes us sound like everyone else.

The first part of your post sounds like Henry David Thoreau.
But the finale, with that slew of guitars to alt tune, is just over the top Hugh Hefner stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion