The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 02:53 AM

As others have mention the Yamaha FS3 or FS5 Red Label. The ones I have played gave a nice mellow, woodie, dry sound. As Robin suggested strings will make a big difference, the Martin Retros have the non-overtone sound you are after.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
Best OMs I have owned are Furch.
If you can find a Mahogany back Furch or used Stonebridge OM then I would agree. The rosewood Furch guitars are known for their sweet overtones.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-22-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm with many of the others on trying mahogany & spruce Yamahas. Back when I'd take the kids to music lessons in a music store, I'd just grab whatever Yamaha was within reach on the wall and sit and play for an enjoyable hour or so. You can't really go far wrong with those.

Just be sure you have a return policy if you're looking at used instruments, and have it gone over by someone knowledgable for any hidden problems. Even new, though, they've got options in your budget.

And, yeah, Monel strings will rein in some of the fizz you'll get from the standard phosphor-bronze type strings, though that usually goes away with just a week or so of playing (IME).
Old 03-22-2024, 05:16 PM

I have a FG3 and a LS16. The 16 is full of overtones and the FG is very dry/fundamental. They both are great in very different ways. If you can find a way to try out a FG I'm confident you'll be happy.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 03-22-2024, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Sounds like you are describing my Larrivee OM (Sitka/sapele). Dry, crisp, articulate, and heavy on the fundamental. Check out the Larrivee zombie thread that’s making the rounds in this general section for more information. It’s all about the Larrivee sound.

Lotta guitar for the money, and your budget is in the ball park if you buy used. Even their entry level guitars are great (mine is an OM-02, which has the scalloped hybrid bracing). It shines both fingerpicked and flat picked. I always recommend playing before buying, too.
Plus one for Larrivee guitars, although I don't know how easy they are to come by in Europe.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstyle_me View Post
I'm looking for a 000 / OM / Dread guitar that would have a dry / vintage sound without too much overtones / sustain. : it would be for light strumming.
I was thinking to Sitka / Mahogany guitars like Yamaha Red Label FS5/FG5.
What would be you recommendations ?
My budget is 1500 EUR max.
Thank you
Nothing drier and more overtone-free than a sixties Hoboken-era Guild. Like playing a cigar box. Some can be had within your budget.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:06 AM

Martin OM21 with Monel strings - may be rosewood guitar but leans more towards mahogany sound with more emphasis on fundamental and less overtones… add the Monels and voila you are there 😉
Old 03-23-2024, 05:16 AM

Martin OM21 with Monel strings - may be rosewood guitar but leans more towards mahogany sound with more emphasis on fundamental and less overtones… add the Monels and voila you are there 😉
Old 03-23-2024, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought a new Larrivee OM simple 6. Fits the description really well. Can handle aggressive and light strumming equally well. Really sounds more like a dread. I also love the bare bones construction. No body binding or pickguard. It does have fingerboard binding. Although it might be hard to find in Europe too. An OM 40 is essentially the same guitar. I've had an OM40 before and this simple 6 sounds noticeably better. Just a difference in two specific guitars I'm sure.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-23-2024, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Sounds like you are describing my Larrivee OM (Sitka/sapele). Dry, crisp, articulate, and heavy on the fundamental. Check out the Larrivee zombie thread that’s making the rounds in this general section for more information. It’s all about the Larrivee sound.

Lotta guitar for the money, and your budget is in the ball park if you buy used. Even their entry level guitars are great (mine is an OM-02, which has the scalloped hybrid bracing). It shines both fingerpicked and flat picked. I always recommend playing before buying, too.
I'll second that.

Dry, crisp, articulate, and heavy on the fundamental.
I'd add: from soft and sweet - to - close to dread volume and projection when driven; describes my Larrivee Sitka/Mahogany 000-40.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:08 AM

Dry, crisp, articulate, heavy on the fundamental...that also describes my Yamaha FG840 laminated maple, Sitka top guitar. Not an OM, but with Monel strings it makes the sound the OP seems to be seeking. Super easy to dial in for recording also.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I'll second that.

Dry, crisp, articulate, and heavy on the fundamental.
I'd add: from soft and sweet - to - close to dread volume and projection when driven; describes my Larrivee Sitka/Mahogany 000-40.
Yes, glad you brought this up. I always fail to mention the headroom of my Larrivee OM on the forum. Sitka isn't known for its headroom like Adirondack is, though on Larrivee guitars, I think it should be. And I'm sure it's all down to the build. No matter how hard I play, I cannot overdrive my OM, and it retains its clarity throughout.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion