The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default NU(R)GD - Woolson Sound Scotsman SIG

What's the R for? That would be Raffle. I am still in shock that I won this amazing instrument and with the entire experience.

I'd like to start this post by giving an incredible thanks to Paul Woolson for his generosity and amazing skills as a luthier.

Tom Bowersox also gets a shout out for setting this up at B.I.G. I cannot say enough about the Bowersox's generosity and openness and ability to setup such an amazing event.

I am writing this the morning after I have returned to my house in Seattle and I have been enjoying a quiet morning getting to know my new guitar. I am playing it in the early morning tranquility. I really enjoyed the guitar at Tom's but it seems to be thriving in its new location here in Seattle even more.

Like many on this forum I am a guitar geek and I enjoy the design aspects as much as I enjoy playing. Doubletops have held a particular fascination for me. When I arrived at B.I.G this year, Paul was the first luthier I spoke to and the first guitars I tried out. We had a great conversation where Paul discussed his philosophy and what he is aiming for with the doubletop construction. The short of it is he is aiming towards a lighter top with less stiff bracing resulting in higher volume and greater dynamic range for a given top. Paul indicated that I basically wouldn't be able to overdrive the top and yet it would respond to a very light touch as well.

I took the two non raffle guitars for a test spin in Tom's amazing guitar room and they certainly did not disappoint. I repeatedly played around exaggerating my dynamics and they delivered as he described. I spoke with Paul at length and provided feedback that I really enjoyed the instruments and joked that I needed to hold off on any talks about purchasing as I was going to win the raffle. Little did I know ...

On to the Scotsman ...

Paul provided some back story to this guitar. Essentially it was his Covid project and he wanted also to tie in the theme of his family roots by making a tartan pattern. As seen from some of the below photos he tied this together from an insane number of individual pieces of wood. He said he spent two years and countless hours putting it together. Truly the photos do not do justice to the depth and beauty and uniqueness of this instrument. He also mentioned that he wanted to do the raffle as an opportunity to give back to the community of hand crafted guitars and their owners for his fortune in being able to make a living out of his passion for building.

The back and sides are from Walnut, Mahogany, and Whiskey Barrel white oak. The top is a doubletop with Lutz / Lutz and Nomex honeycomb. It is S|IG model which is essentially a deeper OM with a larger lower bout.

More details on the construction can be found here:

https://www.luthiersshowcase.com/product/the-scotsman/

The more I look closely at this beautiful instrument the more I am impressed with Paul's craftsmanship. The details are astounding like the way the truss rod cover blends perfectly with the head stock. the nut is a polished work of art the way the slots are cut and the finish on the polish.

When I heard my name called in the drawing I was in absolute shock. I purchased five tickets for the raffle figuring that it would end up going to a good cause. To be clear, while I am very thankful for my lot in life, I rarely win anything. The last raffle I won was about 15 years ago and it was a cakewalk for a five dollar birthday cake. Needless to say this was hardly a comparison and I am so grateful.

Kathy persuaded me to try to play up in front of everyone and I gave it a go figuring I would try a song I know incredibly well. It has history for me as the first real song I ever pulled together as a complete piece. She had heard me playing it earlier and commented on how she enjoyed my performance of it. I often use it to try out steel strings for their bass response and dynamic range. The piece is Spanish Romance and I normally play it on classical.

My incredible luck for the day was all used up in winning the instrument and was not enough to overcome the shaking and adrenaline from winning but I did give it a go and the Scotsman did its best to help me out!

As we settled in to watch the stunning concert from Christie Lenee, she started on her number "The Voice" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TY0unJJKw.

She introduced the number with a backstory on how the story was about our inner voices with the one being the one that is speaking of how we are not worthy and the other on how we can speak to ourselves to overcome. It resonated with me in that moment to accept that this had actually happened to me and that I can in fact be the one playing this instrument.

The performance goes on and Christie invites Tony McManus up to perform with her. The ask goes out if he can use the Scotsman for the number. I am happy to oblige and had the opportunity to witness two incredible musicians performing, one with my new guitar. Later I joked with him to make sure he left some good notes in the guitar after he was done with it.

I was given a front row seat between Tom and Kathy and recorded the video below. The Scotsman has a K&K pickup in it and it sounded brilliant in this improvised run between them.

This is some of the video from the concert:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1mUaFoxUM7FHfFWy9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JUZmpHYx9KurVR3R9

You could tell that Christie is a huge Tony fan and really enjoyed the chance to play with him. I was assured that the music coming out from Tony was all due to the guitar and that all of my playing will sound equally as good!

More to come later ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1693745932908.jpg (54.8 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1693745938412.jpg (40.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1693745945062.jpg (46.8 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg received_289779467112393.jpg (39.6 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230904_071440988.jpg (51.5 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Smile Lovely Post!

Congratulations and all the best as you get to know this spectacular instrument!

It went to a wonderful home, where it will be most happy, I wager!!!

Play it in wonderfully high health and spirits.

Your post is most cheering! How lovely

Enjoy!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-04-2023, 12:11 PM

Thank you Ron for the fantastic write up. We could not have asked for a more gracious winner than Ron. He was so excited and thrilled it was just fun to see. Better than a kid at Christmas! Kathy, as seen in the picture in the B.I.G. thread was very excited and the crowd was very gracious to see someone like him win, even though I am sure they were disappointed in not winning themselves.

My words could never express the appreciation I have for Paul Woolson for DONATING this guitar to B.I.G. for the raffle. It created a lot of excitement at the show, and Paul wanted nothing from it. Did you read that, NOTHING. Kathy and I are going to make a nice contribution to Guitars 4 Vets and Ron said he is going to contribute too as a way of saying thank you to Paul and to fate for allowing him to win.

Please folks, check out Paul Woolson guitars. They are unique, double top guitars with very very light bracing that is only done to let Paul voice the top the way he wishes as a double top does not actually even need bracing. It is a blank canvas for Paul to work his magic on, which he does very well. His guitars have a great tone and sustain for days and the workmanship is perfect.

Congrats Ron, thanks to everyone who attended the show and bought tickets for a great cause and to a GREAT human, PAUL WOOLSON for his friendship, the special gift from Wisconsin he brought me, and his unselfish generosity, a great man and friend.

Tom

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-04-2023 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2023, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Ron and I spend a considerable time comparing guitars and how each worked with playing style over the three days. As far as I'm concerned there isn't a more deserving person to take that guitar home.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

This is a fantastic post on every level. Congrats, Ron! So impressed with everyone involved that made this happen!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-04-2023, 08:12 PM

I love this!! This is what great guitars and gifted luthiers and good musicians are all about. So special!! What a gift from Paul!

Congratulations and I’m sure this guitar will be much loved and will love learning to play Spanish classical! As well as so much else!

Beth
Old 09-05-2023, 06:53 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Ron, Paul, Tom & Kathy! This was an incredible opportunity and fantastic to hear Ron even ventured to play a number on it after winning. I am only disappointed myself that I could not be there to witness it! Awesome outcome!
Old 09-05-2023, 07:54 AM

What a fun evening that was. Ron, to be honest, my hands were shaking just as much as yours. I was either excited or thinking about the reaction I was going to get from my wife when I told her I gave it away.
I'm so glad it's gone to a good home where it will be appreciated. And I hope it brings you years and years of joy.
For anyone who might not have heard my little explanation of why the heck I'd be crazy enough to give away a $15,000 guitar...well, I'm just that crazy I guess. But in all seriousness, this was the only way that I could think of to say thank you to a community that has allowed me to live the life I'm living and doing what I really want to do. It has not always been easy but you all (as a guitar playing whole) have always come through for me. And any time I'm a little down on myself in the shop, I just stop and think, "I GET to do this for a living." And to use a very over used term, I'm truly blessed.
My only regret is that everyone couldn't win it.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
What a fun evening that was. Ron, to be honest, my hands were shaking just as much as yours. I was either excited or thinking about the reaction I was going to get from my wife when I told her I gave it away.
I'm so glad it's gone to a good home where it will be appreciated. And I hope it brings you years and years of joy.
For anyone who might not have heard my little explanation of why the heck I'd be crazy enough to give away a $15,000 guitar...well, I'm just that crazy I guess. But in all seriousness, this was the only way that I could think of to say thank you to a community that has allowed me to live the life I'm living and doing what I really want to do. It has not always been easy but you all (as a guitar playing whole) have always come through for me. And any time I'm a little down on myself in the shop, I just stop and think, "I GET to do this for a living." And to use a very over used term, I'm truly blessed.
My only regret is that everyone couldn't win it.
Just one more reason why we need a "Like" button for posts on the AGF. Sorry I missed it this year, Paul, enjoyed talking with you last year. Wishing you continued success and many more days where you get to do what you love for a living.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Ron - what a great story. The kind that makes you happy to read. And many kudos to Paul for such a kind and selfless donation.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:56 PM

Now that's a nice looking guitar and what generosity from Mr Woolson!
Old 09-05-2023, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats again Ron. Great meeting you and enjoy that guitar.

Sail fast!

Cheers,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-06-2023, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Wow thanks for all these great responses what a great community!

The Scotsman continues to impress as I play more at my house. Fantastic balance and sustain great tone!

My musician girlfriend who has way better ears than I do was over two nights ago and commented that she thought this was my best overall sounding guitar. She called out the trebles and balance in particular.

@Racerbob it was an absolute pleasure discussing guitars at the event and hearing your thoughts and feedback and thanks for the kind words!

@PWoolson can't say enough and thanks for adding color to your motivations! Please thank your wife on my behalf for her generosity and support!

@SprintBob We never did get the chance to go over appropriate guitar choices for cruising and of course carbon ones for lightweight racers ...

Last edited by Aspiring; 09-06-2023 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Ron, Your narrative about this whole experience is very inspiring, on a lot of soul-levels. Paul's generosity is just off the charts, and your appreciation of his generosity is so genuine and true. It's the feel-good story of the year!

I thought it was especially meaningful, because you came to B.I.G. this year with a specific mission to meet up with Paul and talk about the double-top concept that Paul has mastered so artfully. And, what do ya know- that guitar CHOSE YOU. That's what I call Kismet- it was fated to be. And all of us at the show came away touched and inspired by this grand exchange; especially after you expressed your depth of joy and delight with this new musical companion that you came home with, in this thread.

Well played by everyone! Raucous applause!
Old 09-08-2023, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Ron, Your narrative about this whole experience is very inspiring, on a lot of soul-levels. Paul's generosity is just off the charts, and your appreciation of his generosity is so genuine and true. It's the feel-good story of the year!

I thought it was especially meaningful, because you came to B.I.G. this year with a specific mission to meet up with Paul and talk about the double-top concept that Paul has mastered so artfully. And, what do ya know- that guitar CHOSE YOU. That's what I call Kismet- it was fated to be. And all of us at the show came away touched and inspired by this grand exchange; especially after you expressed your depth of joy and delight with this new musical companion that you came home with, in this thread.

Well played by everyone! Raucous applause!
Thanks Steve!

It was great to catch up with you again at B.I.G. and I have your examples of elegant posts (like on the B.I.G. thread) as inspiration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop