The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 01:09 AM

No. I enjoy my ham fisted attempts to play guitar. I'm better than I was a year ago, and better than I was a month ago. I know I'm making progress, which is very satisfying. It's about the journey not the destination.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 AM

I used to fell that way all the time.
I spent a long time learning my chords.
I spent a long time learning to barre.
I spent a load of time learning to hammer with my pinkie.

Then I saw an interview of my guitar hero, B. B. King.
He was asked about his chording technique. He replied that he didn’t really play chords at all, and that he never used his left pinkie.
All my hard work! Invalidated.
It took time. Then I realized that I had some stuff in “my bag” that B. B. didn’t.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I just stumbled on to a YT video of Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler.

Seemingly effortlessly, casually smiling through a two song set dripping with nuance, dynamics, clarity, speed, and respect.. for the songs and each other.

I am humbled.

And there's no reason for me to ever claim to be a guitar player,
let alone own these fine instruments of mine.
Time to give away a bunch of guitars.

A friend of mine, who is an Iron Man finisher (many times), and a Martial Arts practitioner most his life.. in short, a tough guy.. told me how he observed a guy at an event, who just stood there and smiled at an adversary.
A split second later, the opponent was on the ground and apparently didn't want to get up.
My buddy said:
"You think you're tough, til you run into someone who really is."

And to think that Monday, I have to face a student who looks to me for guidance.
I'm a fraud.

Do you ever feel this way?
Of course! There are days (often after watching a video) where I just want to hang it up. But, my persistent DNA eventually takes over, and I am back at it.

But, I think you raise a very interesting point - one about comparison. Comparing ourselves to others can be a blessing and a curse. On the blessing side, because it helps us see what is possible and perhaps, a sense of wonderment. On the curse side, it can be demoralizing.

In the end, it's about balance. There will always be someone better and someone less so. In the end, if you enjoy it and it gives you peace, pleasure, a smile...then, play on.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

By that standard, there are only a handful of people in the WORLD in any given field who are NOT imposters. In my 60 years, I've been significantly involved in playing basketball, tennis, football, bicycling and skiing as sports and in photography and guitar playing as art forms. I've been good enough at all of those things at one time or another to enjoy them enormously. I haven't been close to world class in any of them. The only one I was good enough at that I probably could have made an OK living at it is photography. But I wouldn't have gotten to do the kind of photography I most enjoyed doing and I wouldn't have made as good a living as I did. So even that would have been a losing proposition.

If being among the best in the world at something is the only way it's worth doing, pretty much nobody would ever do anything or have any fun.

And with music in particular, it's only in the past 150 years or so years, probably less, that recorded music by world class artists became the focus - it wasn't easily recorded or distributed or played back in anything like wide circulation much before that. And the focus was on music played and sung in the home or by local folks at the local dance or maybe local bar. Maybe in the biggest cities you'd have an orchestra or an opera, but only the few could really afford to enjoy those indulgences.

Music wasn't played by experts, it wasn't about making it big, it was just by people we knew, by US. Well, that's what we still do - we're those people continuing a fine tradition of making music ourselves rather than worshiping distant figures. Or maybe we're doing both, but we shouldn't let go of the home-made music part. Because listening to great music is a joy, for sure, but playing / creating ANY music is an even greater joy in my experience. Even just banging on a big old drum for a while is great fun.

I know how good I am and how good I'm not, and there's more of the NOT than there is of the GOOD. But I get more pleasure and joy from playing music than nearly anything else these days. And I'll never again play for more than a handful of people (and only played for semi-decent crowds maybe a dozen times in my youth) and that's more than fine. There's no pressure, there's not much achievement (although I take on learning new things, but not at any particular pace), there's no failure (although occasional frustration). There's just pleasure and joy and endless amounts of enjoyment.

I love listening to the greats and appreciating what they've done and where they've taken the music. But I love playing my stumbling fun version of music too. Don't need to compare 'em.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Agree with whoever said it's not a competition...

And while "can't stand" may be too strong a phrase, let's say I am totally unmoved and have no interest in Chet Atkins, Tommy Emanuel and many more highly skilled players - yes, they are great, I just never listen to them nor countless others of that ilk...

Of course...I.like Woodstock era rock, 70's Stones and old delta blues people playing cheap almost untunable instruments....
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 AM

A lot of great writers aren't great players. A lot of great players aren't great writers. A lot of multi platinum selling singers aren't great singers.

I'm just a conduit.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 AM

Default Humbled... I am an imposter

Great video! If you watch closely, Mark knows he is getting his tail kicked by Chet, but he is still glad to be there. Everyone is available for tail kicking by someone, sometime, which is just what is needed to get better. The key is to accept it humbly in a positive fashion.

Btw, it's a good idea to avoid the habit of self-effacing comments as they are not helpful for personal developement and sense of self worth. Play on!

Last edited by Pnewsom; 07-14-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 AM

I used to feel that way until... I watched more videos and listened to more recordings of Chet and his contemporaries. They were in awe of each other. Comments from Chet like, “Dang, how did you do that?” or “I hope I can get through this for once,” abound. It may be obvious, but these icons had made music their job and were likely playing for hours each day.

You’re also hearing cherry picked performances, most of which have been edited - why in the world would a poor recording be placed on YouTube?

Maybe one of the most interesting comments I ever heard was from an interview with Tony Rice, who said, “I would give anything to play like Clarence White.” So just like us wee folk, all of the giants are on their journeys too.

Rick

PS - there’s another amazing video of Eric Clapton playing with Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash on the “Johnny Cash Show.” At the finale, Carl Perkins is burying Eric Clapton with his playing... Clapton just cannot keep up with one of his idols, and has a very pained look on his face. (Now it’s possible that Eric was under the influence on that show, but it showed his humanity in spades)

Last edited by srick; 07-14-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Does anyone know what those jumbo guitars they're playing happen to be? I think I see "The Gibson" on the headstocks, but it's an unfamiliar model to me.

whm
Wade,

You did see "the Gibson" scripted inlay on the headstock.

They were made for one year only, 1985. Numbered Gibson 90th anniversary edition, "J200 - CEL". As with the original J200s, they were made with sitka over rosewood. Only 90 made. They were not made with electronics on board. Any pickups were added later.

I heard that at one point, David Gilmour owned 4 of them, but I can't confirm it.

Once I saw one for sale with the standard Gibson large J200 pickguard. Didn't look as distinctive. Might have been added later.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-14-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM

I have felt the way you describe a lot over the years. I've never really considered myself a real musician. I don't seem to have any natural talent. Everything I play is from hours and hours of practice. It is discouraging to see someone who seems to excel past my abilities effortlessly. But someone once told my that my music is "my music". We are all unique, and at different levels and abilities. My music is my own personal therapy. The same guy also told me to play in front of an audience whenever you can, friends, family, church, etc. That does wonders for you self confidence and encourages you to practice.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-14-2019, 06:17 AM

I don't know much about music, but I do know about Martial Arts. Be careful who you mess with, you can't tell by looking who knows how to handle themselves in a confrontation. Best advice, if at all possible, walk away.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
No. I enjoy my ham fisted attempts to play guitar. I'm better than I was a year ago, and better than I was a month ago. I know I'm making progress, which is very satisfying. It's about the journey not the destination.
I’m admittedly a 60-year old beginner level...well, maybe not quite but close...player. I was in a ton of bands throughout my younger days, but I was always a singer and as most “front men” do, I had a serious case of ADHD that kept me from having the patience & discipline to learn any instrument...although I picked up the guitar many times saying I wanted to play, but never did. Well..those days are gone, and not only can I not hit the high notes any more, I can’t run around on stage any more either.

Now, I’m at a time in my life where I’m pretty sure they won’t call me to fill in for Eddie Van Halen if he gets sick on tour (Ha!) so I’ve picked up the acoustic guitar the last couple of years and absolutely love taking lessons and my “ham fisted attempts” to plant. I will NEVER play like Chet Atkins or, from what I see & hear here...a lot of you folks, but I enjoy the ups & down now in the learning process. Yeah, I get hugely frustrated & beat myself up a lot...but I’m twice the player today than I was a year ago... and I learn every time I pick my guitar up, and when I get it right it puts a big goofy smile on my face...and the troubles of my day to day living fade away.

And having fun is what it’s all about anyway, isn’t it?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 AM

This makes me think of an old saying:

"There ain't a horse that can't be rode and there ain't a cowboy that can't be throwed."

There is always going to be someone (or some thing) bigger. But that does not have to diminish you.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

There are umpteen players out there on YouTube and elsewhere who can wow us with their technical abilities. They can also rip off just about any other player note for note.

What's truly important is your own voice. Chet had his own voice. Mark doesn't sound like Chet. B.B. King couldn't do any of that fancy finger wizardry, but could hit one note and it's instantly recognizable.

Like many of us, I'm always pushing myself as a musician and guitarist (as a person actually). In fact, I've been working this weekend on a sort of renaissance of my own playing, looking for new approaches and seeking out ways to challenge myself and spark new ideas.

All this being said, a few months after my first record deal I was talking to some of the big wigs at a dinner. I asked why they signed me. They said it was because I wasn't trying to be anyone else. Interesting, yes? With CDBaby bragging about their 1 millionth song published, it's easy to lose focus. Don't.

https://diymusician.cdbaby.com/music...1000000-songs/
Old 07-14-2019, 06:31 AM

Some years back, a friend of mine, who is a Grammy-nominated pro and a top Nashville session player, and I went to a Frank Vignola concert featuring an evening of gypsy jazz with The Detroit Hot Club. It was an amazing show. After the show I noticed my friend looking a bit down, so I asked him if he didn't enjoy the concert. On the contrary, he said it was the finest guitar performance he'd ever seen. So good that it made him feel like a humbled beginner. I just smiled at him and said "Now you know how I feel when I watch you play."

Even elite players can get a serious case of "the inferiors". Don't let it getcha down.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion