The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHickory View Post
I’ve also wondered whether vintage guitars were better overall, or if it just seems that way because out of all of them, the ones that survived this long really are better (either high quality = more durable, or high quality = better taken care of/more willing to invest in).
I'd say that's part of what night make surviving vintage guitar good.

But also, the design and build we're different. My 1931 Gibson TG-0 has a top about 1/2 as thick as a modern build, and that gives it a sound which only a luthier built modern guitar might approach.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:41 PM

I'm a big fan of buying used. Most used guitars either aren't a good match for the previous owner or are being sold in order to upgrade, which doesn't make them rejects.

E.g. I recently bought a used Martin D10E for $430 because the previous owner mostly plays electric and the guitar had some buzz on the high frets. I was expecting to have to do some fret leveling but the guitar simply needed a bit of humidification. Now it plays great and it turned out to be a real gem, with a richer tone than other D10E's I have played.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
E.g. I recently bought a used Martin D10E for $430 because the previous owner mostly plays electric and the guitar had some buzz on the high frets. I was expecting to have to do some fret leveling but the guitar simply needed a bit of humidification. Now it plays great and it turned out to be a real gem, with a richer tone than other D10E's I have played.
Wow, that's a steal. Nicely done.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM

For some of us guitars are tools of the trade. If I stop using one because my musical direction has changed I might sell it. For example, I have a very nice D-18GE that was great when I was playing BG with a band. But now I'm mostly solo, duo, trio acoustic stuff, and my OM's are my go-to guitars. I've had that D-18GE for nearly 16 years, so it certainly is NOT a "reject".
Old 05-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Some people are in the enviable position of having money to burn and they may be in the market searching for that guitar that sounds so amazing that they describe it as their personal holy grail. They may buy a high end instrument only to find that it doesn't live up to their unrealistic expectations and decide to put it up for sale while they continue the search.

Their rejects are highly desirable for obvious reasons. No doubt there are lots of dogs in the used market as well so it takes some sleuthing to find the gems in the dung pile.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:58 AM

That’s ridiculous… tastes change, as do finances. And we guitarists are a very fickle bunch. Sometimes guitars are sold because they aren’t the right color, weight, shape, etc. Sometimes, people live beyond their means or have unforeseen expenses and are forced to sell guitars they really don’t want to part with. That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with them or the guitars. Given the opportunity, I’d rather save a bunch of money and buy used than buy brand new. I recently sold a great guitar because I wanted another guitar more. They are completely different animals and I used the sale of one guitar to find the purchase of another.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:56 AM

I don't feel they are rejects. They are being sold because the owners taste changed, upgrading, or just isn't played anymore.

I have 2 guitars that I don't take out the case much anymore but they have a value to me so they hang around.

But, no, just because a guitar is being sold it is not a reject.

Sometimes I think used is the way to go. The guitar has opened up if it has been played.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-25-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
That’s ridiculous… tastes change, as do finances. And we guitarists are a very fickle bunch. Sometimes guitars are sold because they aren’t the right color, weight, shape, etc. Sometimes, people live beyond their means or have unforeseen expenses and are forced to sell guitars they really don’t want to part with. That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with them or the guitars. Given the opportunity, I’d rather save a bunch of money and buy used than buy brand new. I recently sold a great guitar because I wanted another guitar more. They are completely different animals and I used the sale of one guitar to find the purchase of another.
I get it, you don't agree with what I posted but let me just say that in 2019 I bought a used 2012 Martin OM18A that was in pristine condition with no sign of it being played hardly at all. No fret wear and only some light scratches on the pickguard. I probably paid a little over half the retail so that's where I'm coming from. Honestly I don't know the backstory on it. I assumed it was a trade in because I bought it online from GC.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Of the more than 20 guitars I’ve sold over the years, I’d say close to 70% of those sales were due to neck comfort related issues. Because I started playing at age 41, I’m probably not as adaptable as someone who started playing as a teen. There was nothing wrong with any of those guitars I sold. They were not rejects. They just weren’t ideal for ME any longer.
This nails a big part of it. Plus as I've gotten (a little) better, and explored different sizes, shapes, and wood combos, I've learned what I like best. There are SEVERAL I've sold I'd love to have back. But like Brencat none were rejects.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
Can you quote me where I said that ?
My attempt at a light hearted joke, no more no less.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
Looking at the used guitar market, one wonders if these instruments were the ones players didn't want to keep ?
Primarily? Not sure. But they contribute to the overall resale market. But more often, I think it's people who either get tired of a guitar, need the cash, or are looking to trade out for something new.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
I get it, you don't agree with what I posted but let me just say that in 2019 I bought a used 2012 Martin OM18A that was in pristine condition with no sign of it being played hardly at all. No fret wear and only some light scratches on the pickguard. I probably paid a little over half the retail so that's where I'm coming from. Honestly I don't know the backstory on it. I assumed it was a trade in because I bought it online from GC.
I read it as the concept of used guitars being rejects as being ridiculous, not your post.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Used guitars sell at 60% what it cost new.
Every guitar I have purchased new was a great guitar for many reasons, enough reasons to convince me to buy them.
I have sold a few guitars I bought new because of various things that changed about me, not so much my opinion of, or the quality of the guitars.
I bought a Taylor 612 new, and a 514 and a Martin Grand J35, as well as my Martin J40 (which I traded away, and bought back) and my Taylor 562ce. I’ve bought used and kept some, and sold some. None were rejects. All are excellent guitars. In many cases with the pieces I choose to sell, it’s because it’s tone is redundant or very similar to another one and I favor an attribute of the different guitar like string spacing, or a lack of a pickup installed etc.
Any issues that would qualify as a reject in my opinion should be disclosed by the seller before selling. Cracks, fakes, bad DIY repairs, anything sketchy
Old 05-25-2022, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Who knows what percentage is what but from my personal experience every used guitar I've bought or sold has been far from a reject.

They may need some setup or small tlc and they may not meet my taste.

I also buy many guitars as an educated guess from online research. And then I've bought new guitars that were better than other guitars that were personal favorites. My tastes have changed and what I'm willing to spend has increased too.

I may prefer another guitar in my collection for various reasons ( be it ergonomics neck tone that I can get out of it consistently) but at this point I won't be selling anything that isn't objectively a very nice guitar on its own and I suspect that many on this forum are in a similar spot.

My Breedlove Masterclass Auditorium is probably a great example. I will probably get around to selling it at some point. It's a lovely guitar plays well sounds great but for me it's slightly less comfortable and doesn't have a sound port so my playing enjoyment is slightly reduced when I play for myself compared to my other choices and it doesn't get played very often any more.

A couple years back it was one of my top two instruments so it was played pretty frequently. It hasn't changed but my circumstances have.

I'd guess there are also quite a few guitars on the market from beginners or others who tried it bought a pretty nice guitar but for whatever reason decided they weren't going to continue playing.

Last edited by Aspiring; 05-25-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:40 PM

I have sold several very nice guitars, simply because I was impatient about buying another guitar. The one I probably miss the most of was a first year Martin OM-21 Special. I sold that one to buy a D-18V when I was going through a bluegrass phase. The D-18V was really nice, but I moved that one to buy something else (can’t remember what). Point is, there probably are some rejects floating around, but also plenty of great guitars that just happen to get sold for one reason or another. My current primary guitar is a fantastic J-45 that I bought used. I sure am glad that the previous owner tired of this one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion