The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Always... There is usually headroom and they expect it.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the above...I don't haggle, but I do negotiate. Occasionally I will leave a seller with a "I can pay $X for this." If nobody buys it at your price, and you want to sell it, call me.

Can I ask why some people think that parties in a deal will be unhappy if a deal is made? Either party can say "No." If you accept a deal, either as buyer or seller, why grumble?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I never haggle. I figure sellers know how much money they need to make, and they generally know I am an informed buyer. They will offer me their best price. I don't deal with organizations that do not price competitively.

For me, haggling is not necessary and I find it extremely unpleasant. I always have a choice not to buy, and I always know what is a good price and what is not; otherwise, I don't go into a transaction if I have not done my homework.

Every business person needs to make a profit to survive. The seller also knows I want the best price I can get, within reason. Long term relationships help.

- Glenn
Exact the same for me, guitars are not necessary for your life (ok, you can dispute that ) and therefor just something for your pleasure only. I know what I can spent and know what reasonable prices are and act on that.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Depends on the guitar and the circumstances. With individual luthiers making one of a kind instruments, no... I've found prices are typically what they are and I'm well aware of the costs going into the deal. If you're fair with your requests and respectful of their time and resources, they usually are very fair when they price out the instrument and select the materials to be used. With vintage guitars there can be some wiggle room, but if you're dealing with the "best of the best" in terms of condition, tone and playability, there usually is not a lot of negotiation because there usually is a line of people behind you gladly willing to pay the asking price most of the time. I've lost out on a few great vintage pieces because of negotiations that were a mere 3% of the instrument's cost. All that being said, if I'm buying a factory/small builder made guitar from a store or online dealer, there is always room for negotiations with these new and used guitars, so yes... I don't like leaving money on the table for something like that.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM

I always haggle. I have pretty much figured out you know you have a deal when nobody is overjoyed with it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I think the inclination to haggle has a lot to do with how you are raised or what examples were set for you. My parents were not "hagglers" so it's never been something I was inclined to do or felt comfortable with. YMMV!

Dave
Interesting!

My father is a notorious haggler and I think that I have inherited that from him! LOL.

For a new guitar, I just go to the few sources where I know I'll get a good price so I don't bother haggling.

For a used guitar, I won't haggle that much but if the price is way out of line, I'll just move on.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Grandma always said never buy retail.
If I have to, I always shop around for the best price. I then bring that price to a local store to see if they will beat it. Most times they will. To me it is worth the added tax for instant gratification (depending on the price) . If not, then I go with the best price as long as there is a reputation of good service.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Just as MikeD said, it depends on the circumstances.

Personally, I enjoy haggling. If you're good-humored about it and the person selling the item is, as well, it can be a lot of fun. And it doesn't take extra sensory perception to realize when a price has gone as low as it's going to go.

I think what makes many folks shy away from haggling is that some would-be buyers can be brutal and humorless in their relentless attempts to drive prices down even further. Anyone who's ever held a garage sale has probably met up with a few of those people.

But there's no reason a haggle has to be like that. Done in a friendly fashion, it can be a real joy for all concerned.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM

I keep abreast of recent sales for any guitar that interests me.

If a seller is asking too much compared to recent sales, I give him my comparable sales info & make an offer based on that.

More than half the time, though, the seller is priced fairly - in that case, I just buy it.
Actually, looking at my Sig, every guitar was purchased without haggling except for the Guild acoustic bass. I did try to get Elderly to go lower on the Froggy, but only because they had the description wrong. In the middle of "haggling" with them, Froggy gave me the correct info on the guitar & then I just pulled out my credit card.

Last edited by Yggdrasil; 03-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 PM

I sold a guy a guitar for $450 and I drove 110 km (70 miles) to deliver it. He met me at the designated place and handed me $425 and said that was the best he could do. Nice piece of haggling eh? What a dick. I took his money and took the guitar out of the case and handed it him. He demanded the case ( twice) as I walked away. I sold the case for $50 I emailed him and thanked him for the gas money.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM

I am always sociable with any salesperson, especially with guitars.

If you're really nice and find the right salesperson, the price talks itself down.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Ye

If I didn't haggle over the price of the guitar I'm buying I would never have gotten the price I did. There is always room for negotiation. Just depends on the dealers business has been doing lately. How much does he need the sale?

It's always a good ground to test?

It pays to shop around!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Cool Do you HAGGLE (or not) when buying a guitar?

I don't haggle, but I will negotiate with a seller until I get what I consider to be a good price (for me). The seller may not always agree, but I can't help it if they paid too much for their guitar. I also enjoy participating in online auctions. I ask a lot of questions, too. Some, I know the seller should be able to answer, and the questions get progressively more difficult, unless he knows a lot about guitars. I've managed a number of bargains, and a few "steals" as well. Right place, right time, right price...I have no hesitation pulling the trigger!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 03-26-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Talking

So, I think it's safe to say that you haggle. right

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I don't haggle, but I will negotiate with a seller until I get what I consider to be a good price (for me). The seller may not always agree, but I can't help it if they paid too much for their guitar. I also enjoy participating in online auctions. I've managed a number of bargains, and a few "steals" as well. Right place, right time, right price...I have no hesitation pulling the trigger!

Glen
Old 03-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I always try to negotiate a better price when purchasing a vehicle, a guitar, or anything from a private seller.

As a previous poster also said, I rather enjoy the negotiation process. But then I don't see it as an adversarial thing, and I try to keep it friendly. I don't think it's necessary to be a jerk to be a good negotiator.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion