The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Default Jason Kostal OM

I am getting such a vicarious thrill from all this- when I finally get my own.......... I may just drop dead from joy!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM

It is so beautiful, Steve. Amazing!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
This is firmed up by the fact that the MD guitars sound very similar to me. All in all they sound great!
As ever, the differences are more apparent when you have them in your hands. I think it's fair to say that Michael's MD is a bit of an outlier amongst the MD guitars I've played from Jason. Most obviously, it has a HUGE neck in terms of depth, but it also sounds quite different amongst that group.

Most who order want an MD that sounds "lush" to the player with deep, deep bass etc. However, as a regular live performer, Michael needs something that projects to an audience and that is easier to mic up and have it not feedback. His guitar is drier and very forceful tonally. Impossible to overdrive and great separation.

I hope Michael doesn't mind me linking to this; it's him playing his MD on a national radio station over here and gives a very true representation of how his guitar sounds. It's also one of my favorite tunes - watch Buchanan's 1976 version on YouTube - mind blowing (TABS PLEASE MICHAEL!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopjXyxLosM

My pal Jonny wanted a guitar much like mine and playing them side by side last weekend, it was amazing how close these two MDs sounded despite one being wenge with a wedge and no cutaway and the other being ABW with no wedge and a cutaway. They were obviously both cut from the same piece of cloth. Clearly, Jason has great tonal consistency if that's what the customer wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainhead View Post
when I finally get my own.......... I may just drop dead from joy!!!!!!
I hope I haven't made your expectations unrealistic but, honestly, this OM has exceeded mine. Remind us what you have on order and when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
It is so beautiful, Steve. Amazing!
Thank you; I do wish you guys could play it.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
As ever, the differences are more apparent when you have them in your hands. I think it's fair to say that Michael's MD is a bit of an outlier amongst the MD guitars I've played from Jason. Most obviously, it has a HUGE neck in terms of depth, but it also sounds quite different amongst that group.

Most who order want an MD that sounds "lush" to the player with deep, deep bass etc. However, as a regular live performer, Michael needs something that projects to an audience and that is easier to mic up and have it not feedback. His guitar is drier and very forceful tonally. Impossible to overdrive and great separation.

I hope Michael doesn't mind me linking to this; it's him playing his MD on a national radio station over here and gives a very true representation of how his guitar sounds. It's also one of my favorite tunes - watch Buchanan's 1976 version on YouTube - mind blowing (TABS PLEASE MICHAEL!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopjXyxLosM

My pal Jonny wanted a guitar much like mine and playing them side by side last weekend, it was amazing how close these two MDs sounded despite one being wenge with a wedge and no cutaway and the other being ABW with no wedge and a cutaway. They were obviously both cut from the same piece of cloth. Clearly, Jason has great tonal consistency if that's what the customer wants.

I hope I haven't made your expectations unrealistic but, honestly, this OM has exceeded mine. Remind us what you have on order and when?

Thank you; I do wish you guys could play it.

Cheers,
Steve
Very true. The reason I ordered from Jason in the first place was that I was confidant that he could build what I needed using his own (exquisite) tone as the foundation.

I was very specific about the voice and response (up to and including note decay envelope) that I was looking for and with his background as a player as well as a builder it was evident that Jason understood what I was asking for and was able to deliver a guitar that met and exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for linking the video, the sound there was taken with just one mic (an SM58 up close if I remember rightly) and there is some pickup in the mix too (K+K mini). I am toying with the idea of including The Messiah Will Come Again in the recording sessions I have scheduled for this May... might just make the final cut!

This weekend also gave me the chance to try Jonny's non-cutaway MD for the first time. Once again different, a beautifully judged and executed bespoke build that suited his touch wonderfully.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 AM

Default Buchanan

Congratulations on your new guitar Steve,I saw Roy Buchanan perform Messiah at Birmingham Town Hall sometime in the late 70's.
Telecaster plugged in to a Fender Champ which sat on an old kitchen table
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
I saw Roy Buchanan perform Messiah at Birmingham Town Hall sometime in the late 70's.
You make me sick! From what I remember when we met, you'd seen pretty much everyone at one time or another including several people/bands who are now no longer with us.

VERY jealous!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Congratulations on your new guitar Steve,I saw Roy Buchanan perform Messiah at Birmingham Town Hall sometime in the late 70's.
Telecaster plugged in to a Fender Champ which sat on an old kitchen table
Yes... I'm very jealous now!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Steve,

Haven't said much as it won't be for quite some time...................... but I am in line for an MD in German / Madrose with a cutaway and a wedge. It will be a dream come true. And no you did not create unrealistic expectations- you just help keep this fire of anticipation stoked! :-)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations, Steve - that OM is truly exceptional! Enjoy!

I look forward to seeing/playing/hearing it again in July, all being well.

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
I look forward to seeing/playing/hearing it again in July, all being well.
Yes - could you PM/email me the date that Ian has set so that I can block it out.

I was particularly impressed by your fan-fret last Sunday...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Congrats Steve, it sounds and looks fantastic!

It's given me something to think about for my future build ...
Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post

It's given me something to think about for my future build ...
Thanks +++.

You will not be disappointed. I think it's great that Michael has put those vids up. It's not often you hear 3 guitars by the same maker, in the same "ordinary" setting, with no blingy studio processing - just into a laptop. Should really help those of you who are pondering to come to a decision.

That was the plan anyway.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

That OM does it for me. Then again, I'm of the (admittedly extremist) opinion that the OM is the only guitar shape that matters...

Last edited by usb_chord; 02-13-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Yes - could you PM/email me the date that Ian has set so that I can block it out.

I was particularly impressed by your fan-fret last Sunday...

Cheers,
Steve
Steve,

Rather (very) gutted that I could not be with you guys on Sunday. My July do is always on the third Saturday in July. So, for 2014, it's Saturday July 19th. I've posted here as regular attendees have been following this thread. Your new OM looks and sounds great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the summer.

I have a new Romero banjo inbound at present and should get it within the next few days, probably early next week. I know that banjos tend to have very negative connotations with some folks, but this is the sweetest sounding open back banjo I've ever heard, so I'm rather looking forward to getting it.

I'm sort of done with guitars, at least for the present. But that has all been said so many times before...
Cheers,

Ian
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I'm of the (admittedly extremist) opinion that the OM is the only guitar shape that matters.
Extremist?

Clearly, the most sensible statement made in the entire thread IMHO.

Cheers,
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop