The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Life's experiences have taught me that sometimes, the most honest person in the room is the one who'll look you in the eye and tell you "Don't quit your Day Job..."
When Elvis auditioned for the Grand Ole Opry they told him to stick to driving a truck.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

When I began learning guitar in earnest, I had only "one track", the guitar.
I could sing along fairly well with others but not while playing.
Six years later my second track is developing. Some songs I can sing and play. Never thought I could.
So it is developing for me...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 10-04-2022, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I was a drummer. A good one. Ginger Baker told me so, so it must be true.
I met this girl, young dark, beautiful, loved "Folk" music (Eugh!)

She charmed my into taking her to a folk festival.
We only went there to see an Anerican folk singer. his name was (and still is) Tom Rush.
I saw him standing on a podium with one mic and an Epiphone Texan and charm the crowd.

I thought "I want to do that!"

I was getting tired of the increasing volume of the amps beside me and looking at the singer's back side.

I wanted to sing. Like Tom Rush. So I bought a guitar.

and .... fifty years later ......

The. End.
Fabulous story! Cheers

Sent from my SM-S901U using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 10-04-2022, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO! View Post
So many fantastic replies and it appears the vast majority do sing. I would imagine it would certainly be easier for those who don't sing to spend time with other acoustic players in a setting that allowed for encouragement. I am 56 years old and our (wife and I) friends don't play. Never could I imagine picking up my guitar in front of our group and letting loose with a song. Lack of confidence? Absolutely and I am not ashamed to admit it. I still struggle just picking the guitar in front of people I don't know. My shortcomings as a solo couch picker. Truth be told, it is easier for me to play something now in front of people outside of my immediate family. But still far from comfortable. Practice I guess...
I'm just a little bit ahead of you, but not far. I have played in bands but switching to playing and singing solo is a whole different ball game. It's like starting from zero.

I do try to play and sing in front of others when I can but certainly have eased myself in through non pressured settings before going "on stage" at open mic's etc.

Doing things like practicing in the local park or down on the prom helped start me playing/singing in public. Some social situations have lent themselves to getting my guitar out and singing some songs with and for other people (singing with is easier, and can then lead you into playing/singing one or two songs for).

Now I get asked to "bring my guitar" to local house parties and other social get togethers. Sometimes it doesn't come out of its case but on other occasions the mood is just right for a session.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’m not a particularly good player and I’m particularly NOT a good singer, but I sing and play together. While no better than semi-decent at either discipline, doing the two together has always been relatively easy for me. It all makes more sense to me when it’s of a piece - it’s all about making a single piece of music, as opposed to two separate disciplines…

-Ray
This right here^^^^^
Thanks Ray for saving me the typing …I like to refer to it as the one finger poke

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 10-05-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
I don't sing. It is a public service.
Yes, this describes me as well.

I grind my teeth, instead, and drool just a little.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:04 AM

I did a LOT of singing and playing when I was younger, rock/indie bands and such. But then I started playing jazz and kind of stopped.

I like singing.

But I also wanted to get to the point where the guitar could carry the melody for me...so I don't sing and play much. I also listen to instrumental music much more than music with words. Strange, I guess. Maybe I should sing more. It's fun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-05-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
When Elvis auditioned for the Grand Ole Opry they told him to stick to driving a truck.
When Bob Dylan showed up on the scene in New York City Pete Seegar and Kris Kristofferson went to see him. When they left Seegar told Kristofferson that Dylan was the worst singer he had ever heard, and he had heard a lot of them. Kristofferson said that two months later every singer in New York was trying to sing like Dylan, including Seegar.

I don't think that one can't sing if they aren't a "good" singer. What even constitutes being a good singer? That's the same as saying you can't play guitar unless you are a good guitar player. I think a lot of people underestimate their ability to sing. Same with guitar playing. I've heard guitar players who tell me they are beginners and then knock my socks off with their playing. Either they are sandbagging to keep expectations low or they underestimate themselves.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 10-05-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post

For every obvious exception like Elvis, or nontraditional singer/stylists like Dylan, Kristofferson, Wille, or Tom Waits (all of whom sing very well, suited to their material) there's millions of folks who just can't sing...I can't and I know a lot of musicians who say they can't, and we're fine with it...

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with that simple concept...some of us just can't sing.

Last edited by Denny B; 10-05-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:22 AM

All my life I've avoided singing. There are some people whose voices don't sound much better than mine, but they sing anyway. People enjoy their music and they enjoy singing. I sometimes think I should give it a try but it would be like trying to learn another new instrument.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:24 AM

I sing and play!

Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 AM

I was the singer in a band in my youthful days. I started to learn guitar a couple years ago, and can't help singing when I play, even when I try not to, the singing always eventually starts.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb19 View Post
I was the singer in a band in my youthful days. I started to learn guitar a couple years ago, and can't help singing when I play, even when I try not to, the singing always eventually starts.
This is great jb19. And looks like your 1st post too!
Old 10-05-2022, 12:24 PM

I sing and play guitar. It has been a journey.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 10-05-2022, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
For every obvious exception like Elvis, or nontraditional singer/stylists like Dylan, Kristofferson, Wille, or Tom Waits (all of whom sing very well, suited to their material) there's millions of folks who just can't sing...I can't and I know a lot of musicians who say they can't, and we're fine with it...

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with that simple concept...some of us just can't sing.
I don't have any problem at all with people who just don't want to sing. Fine with me. But I try throw a little encouragement at those who just say they can't and haven't given it a chance.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion