The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2004, 06:23 PM

Default New nut, saddle, setup cost in your area..

I asked for a couple of online estimates to replace a plastic nut and saddle over to TUSQ or bone.. I was told $75.00 and $90.00 from two different shops..

Just wondering how those prices compare to other areas of the country for conversation sake. Both estimates come from the Raleigh, NC area.

Not sure if I will go for the change.. I'm thinking about it for my first acoustic, an all laminate Alvarez just to get it as good as it can be since I'll hopefully always have it (sentimental).. Maybe my Crafter, an inexpensive guitar that I think can be tweaked to be better.. I don't care to fiddle with either myself..
Old 03-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Musical minimalist

that's just about where Elderly's is as far as price (they may even be a little bit higher than 90) Just like anything else though, some times you get what you pay for!

Old 03-12-2004, 09:57 AM

Don't bother with the nut - i'd recommend buying a bone saddle blank and doing it yourself though.... it's not that difficult.
355KCE LTD ('03)
Ibanez RG550EX
Yamaha RBX270 Bass
Old 03-12-2004, 10:02 AM

really? but you need files and stuff and most people dun want to screw up their saddle and axe.. like me haha... i wish i have the skills though...

2006 514ce
1998 Yamaha APX 6A
Old 03-12-2004, 10:47 AM

I would leave the nut alone.... It just does not give that much bang for the buck.. (IMHO).... The only time the nut comes into play, is with an open string (not fretted)... now the saddle, that's a bit different...
Hank, get one of Bob's cowbone Taylor saddle blanks... http://www.guitarsaddles.com
It will almost drop in.... just a bit of sanding with plain ol' sandpaper.... He sends you instructions and pictures to finish up the fit.... You can do it, and you will be pleased.... for about $16.00...
Best Regards, Don
Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the input on the nut. I meant to ask if a new nut would make an impact on things, but got ahead of myself.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2004, 06:04 PM

^^^

start with the saddle then go for the nut...definitely buy Bob's products...
Old 03-12-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Imapickn
I
Hank, get one of Bob's cowbone Taylor saddle blanks... http://www.guitarsaddles.com
Thanks for the link. I've seen the info floating around on here, but since I was never wanting a saddle change ('cept for one time months ago) I never paid much attention to it.

Based on posts here, bone seems to be the way to go. I went to Bob's site and it's very encouraging for saddle installation. Heck, made me feel like I could do it!!! I encourage anyone that hasn't checked it out to do so.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Luthier

I do at least a couple saddle/setup and nut replacement jobs a week. I charge around $60 for a fully comped bone saddle + strings and in most cases 40-50 for the nut. I know of only one other place in sacramento that my clients would take their guitars to and they sub it it out to me anyway.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 03-12-2004, 07:18 PM

I thought the prices I got back were great. The 90 buck quote was 50 bucks for the saddle and 40 bucks for the nut.

The 75 buck quote wasn't split up so that was for both saddle and nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification