The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Zoom H2 Issues? Please advise.

I just received the H2, and I have been struggling to get it to work properly. With everything that I have recorded, I am getting some type of static noise every 1 to 1.5 seconds. I have tried all three mic gain settings, and adjusted the recording level on each setting. I have also tried plugging it in to various outlets, recording in different rooms, and recording different sounds (piano, singing, talking).

I re-read the manual, and checked the site FAQ's, and cannot find anything that mentions this. Before I send it back, I wanted to check with the users here to see if there is a simple solution (re-download the software?).

Thanks for your input.
06 Big Baby
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I just received the H2, and I have been struggling to get it to work properly. With everything that I have recorded, I am getting some type of static noise every 1 to 1.5 seconds. I have tried all three mic gain settings, and adjusted the recording level on each setting. I have also tried plugging it in to various outlets, recording in different rooms, and recording different sounds (piano, singing, talking).

I re-read the manual, and checked the site FAQ's, and cannot find anything that mentions this. Before I send it back, I wanted to check with the users here to see if there is a simple solution (re-download the software?).

Thanks for your input.
Hi A&H...
Not an issue I've heard of before, but let's do some troubleshooting.

Are you recording with the power supply plugged in rather than with the internal AA batteries? If so, try recording with just the batteries. It may be something in the power supply and not with the unit itself.

If you cannot get it to stop, it would seem appropriate to swap it for a new one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Zoom H2

I have been using mine for about two months now and have had only "cockpit errors", performs like a champ. The mics are VERY sensitive to ambient sounds in close proximity, check to you that there is no extraneous noise in the area also, just a thought, make sure that you are using only the mics that you intend to use. In the beginning I inadvertantly had all four mics on and picked up all sorts of "room" noise. If this isn't it, I suspect you may have a defective unit.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 AM

I have an H4 and it works perfectly. I recall that some memory cards would cause an issue like this. Are you using the stock memory card? There is a list of approved cards on the zoom web site. Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM

BillBob - Yes, I am using the stock SD card.

GibsonGuy - I tried recording with all of the different mic arrangements to see if one setup is better than the other. All of them included this static.

LJ - I will give it another try tonight with just the batteries. The noise is consistent vs. random. I tried plugging it in to a couple of places, even at the airport, and I got the same problem. Maybe it is the power supply...

Thanks to all of you for your input.
06 Big Baby
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM

I tried it tonight using only battery power, and I still had the same problem. It has been frustrating trying to troubleshoot, but I feel that I have explored all possibilities, and that the unit I received is defective. I know that this can happen once in a while, and I have heard such great things about the H2 that I am definitely going to give it another chance.

Thanks for all of your help.
06 Big Baby
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
...I know that this can happen once in a while, and I have heard such great things about the H2 that I am definitely going to give it another chance.
Hi A&H...
Sounds to me like you've done what you can, and if it were mine, it would be going home and I'd ask for it to be replaced. Not the normal nor desired behavior of an H2...bummer isn't it.

Well, now you have more time to practice till the new one comes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Default an additional Zoom H2 issue

I, too, am having some difficulty with my Zoom H2. Read the troubleshooting and double checked everything, but cannot hear the playback unless I use the ear buds. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleglouie View Post
I, too, am having some difficulty with my Zoom H2. Read the troubleshooting and double checked everything, but cannot hear the playback unless I use the ear buds. Any ideas? Thanks!
Hi PegLeg...
First of all welcome to the group, we are glad you've joined.

Where have you and how have you attempted to hear the recordings? The Zoom H2 and H4 neither have a speaker, so if you are listening to them from the unit you will need to either plug in external speakers, headphones (earbuds), or plug the H2 into a stereo system.

If you transfer the files to your computer then a music playing program like Window's Media or iTunes will play them on your computer system.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Larry, thank you SO much. I'm also glad I joined, great group! Pegleg
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Ancient thread, resurrected because I have the solution and someone may need it. The problem is very likely the SD card... very easy to test, just remove it and then record direct to a computer... if the noise is gone, you need a new SD card... simple.

I think all of the Zoom devices (H2N, H4, etc) run the signal thru the SD card interface, even when recording to an external device, so this solution should apply to the whole lot.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell