The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 06:27 PM

Default fretboard feels cramped

I play my Martin OM28 [1 3/4 at the nut] the most out of my guitars. For some reason this week I feel like the fingerboard is too narrow.. I don't know. Could it be the humidity? I am overlapping on simple chords,like I'm trying too hard.Right now I feel like I need a wider neck... I know that I always had an issue with my D28 with the 1 11/16 nut ,now that feels cramped . I sure as heck ain't a growing boy; so no growing pains here!!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:58 PM

Default A thought

Let's start out by understanding that the guitar's neck didn't change shape. That leaves the player needing to adapt to the guitar.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:39 AM

I had the same problem. I started to reshape my guitar chords. For example I use only 2 fingers for an E or Am chord using this shape. Each finger covers 2 strings.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Ok, we need to understand why there are such things s a 1 & 11/16" nut width.

it is due to tenor banjo players in dance bands in the 1920s and 1930s.
is that relevent to you? Nah.
Is that why we have such skinny necks "as standard" ? Yup.

Before 1929, ALL martin flat tops were either 1 & 13/16" or 1 & 7/8" and were made to have a balanced tone across the strings as finger-stylists would prefer.

Then as dance bands changed from (I dunno) New Orleans style to swing there was no need for (tenor-4 strnig) banjo players in the rhythm section.

Apparently this peeved and vexed the banjo players, and to keep their seat in the bands they had to turn to guitar.

However, they only used four strings so a style was developed playing only four string chords - and one guy - named Perry Bechtel convinced Martin to make a guitar with a thnner and longer neck, like a banjo, and a new style developed.

Martin therefore assumed that everybody wanted these necks - in fact sales increased because of folk, blues and country was emerging and the thin necked 14 fretters was all folks could get.

......... and that's why ninety years later, Martin and other brands are only just realising the sometimes we'd like a wider fretboard !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion