The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Default Nylon Guitar in the range of 1500 $

Hello My friends

what is the Best Acoustic Nylon Guitar in the range of 1500 $ ??!

i have Yamaha NTX900 and i want to buy a better guitar , and i dont like it because :

1- i feel the notes are dead and throttled .
2- tuning issues !! i think u knw what is that ( when i go deeply in the neck , the tone is out of tune !! )
3- The neck is very thin ( problems when holding hard chords )

but its not a bad guitar !! i like that its easy to play solos on it .

So and suggestions for a gd sounding guitar but not a traditional classical Guitar ??????? Thnxx
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Buy used....$1,500 will go a long way. If you're looking for a cross-over style guitar, keep your eyes open for a Kenny Hill Player crossover, or maybe something in the Cordoba Loriente line. If you can transition to a more traditionally designed guitar, you'll have all sorts of great used options at that price point. A traditional design will include a wider and deeper neck profile. In my opinion, much easier to play than a cramped crossover.

Last edited by Dogsnax; 07-19-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Selecting a Nylon

No one else can answer this question for you because of variances related to personal taste. They can only offer suggestions based on their preferences.

One option is to select a few you want to try (for example, the ones we have discussed in PMs) and buy them used one at a time. If you are a patient and prudent buyer, you can try one and sell it for close to what you paid. I am not convinced you can always tell if you will bond a guitar from a music store or brief tryout (because the brain like novelty, they always seem to play better in the store than after you get them home).

Using this option, I have tried dozens of guitars with little net out-of-pocket cost other than my original expenditure ($1500 in your case) and ended up with a guitar that better matched my preferences.

Early on, I would listen to people rave about a guitar on these forums and buy it based on their suggestion. Many of the guitars that others loved, I didn't like at all. Over time, I discovered that I liked a slightly smaller nut (1-7/8 to 1-15/16), liked shorter scale instruments, liked the spruce/mahogany or cedar/mahogany combo, and zeroed in on some other specs that matched my preferences. I would have been nice if I had done this on the front end and eliminated many of the choices without buying them. Live and learn.

Of course, I now know that some of the people suggesting instruments focused on their preferences. They were just being honest with their recommendations, but they were based on their preferences, not mine.

I once spent about two years buying Martin nylons to find the one I liked most. Looking back, hunting down, buying and trying different guitars was part of the fun for me. Once I found one I really liked, I would buy several copes of it to get a "pick of the litter" instrument. If the new one was better the one I had, I would sell the one I had and keep the new one or, vice versa.

By the way, I did not like the Martin I ultimately settled on when I first got it. It took a few string changes and some playing time to help me realize how much I liked the guitar.

My goal was always to buy them at a price that allowed me to add a PayPal fee and shipping to my cost and sell it to someone else (still at a good price). Since many people are impatient sellers, this is relatively easy to do.

Just a few thoughts. I think you mentioned you live in, or are moving to, another country. Of course, this may or may not work if there is not a good supply of buyers or sellers in your country of residence. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the hunt.

YouTube Site
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Hello My friends

i have Yamaha NTX900 and i want to buy a better guitar , and i dont like it because :

2- tuning issues !! i think u knw what is that ( when i go deeply in the neck , the tone is out of tune !! )

So and suggestions for a gd sounding guitar but not a traditional classical Guitar ??????? Thnxx
I just purchased a Taylor 414 Nylon Fall Limited (Tasmanian blackwood/cedar) that finally gives me the sound I was looking for. Taylor makes good nylons, but they are definitely not for everyone. Definitely within your range if you find them used. If you do have access, just go play as many models/brands as you can.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Thank u for ur comment

Thnx chris .. i think u r right ! i need to try the guitar before i buy it
and depends on the taste !

but everyone had an experiance with some brands and guitars .. for example i have yamaha ntx900 .. and for my experiance , i think its not a good guitar
good pickups sound system but when its unplugged , the notes are dead !
Old 07-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Default :) thnx

thank u my friend
Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 AM

If you are going to buy new $1500 can go a real long way with Cordoba. I've played a C10 ($1000) that is excellent. There is the GK-Pro Negra (if you want to plug in and don't need a true classical). There is also many of the other higher end models is you can work a deal.

Alvarez makes some killer guitars in this price range if you can find them. Yamaha as well, although I have more experience with Cordoba and Alvarez near your price point.

Used -- yeah you could do real well if you are patient and diligent in your research.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 PM

I'll throw in support for Cordoba... though there are a few other good brands out there. Do you need a cutaway? Electronics? What kind of music are you looking to play? These will help the forum community get an idea of what might be a good fit for you.

If you just need a good classical without electronics, the Cordoba C9, C10, or C12 are great instruments in your price range. There are models by Kenny Hill, Alhambra, and Kremona that may fit your needs.

If you need amplification, One of my favorite locals, Don Soledad has been performing a mix of flamenco/jazz on a Kremona F65 CW with good results (look him up on youtube). The GK Studio Pro Negra would probably be a nice bet, or even the non-pro version.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Cool Nylon Guitar around $1500???

I bought a Martin 000C Nylon 12 fret cutaway crossover with Fishman electronics, which I have enjoyed for several years now. It's has a solid Sitka spruce top with solid sapele back & sides. A 1-7/8 nut, slothead with Gotoh tuning machines, as I recall. The tonal response and sheer volume blew me away. Around $1600 from a Martin dealer, but you can find them cheaper, usually around $1200, without a warranty, both new & used.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Hello My friends

in my opinion, https://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/c12
Cedar or Spruce
Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
in my opinion, https://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/c12
Cedar or Spruce
The C12 is a great option - I'm a huge Cordoba advocate. Be forewarned, the C12 is lattice braced and it definitely has that mid-range-heavy lattice tone. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it has a different sound than a fan-braced, traditionally designed guitar. I myself prefer the more traditional C10 - pretty much the same guitar with fan bracing.

If you do opt for the C12, I recommend going spruce as opposed to cedar.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
The C12 is a great option - I'm a huge Cordoba advocate. Be forewarned, the C12 is lattice braced and it definitely has that mid-range-heavy lattice tone. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it has a different sound than a fan-braced, traditionally designed guitar. I myself prefer the more traditional C10 - pretty much the same guitar with fan bracing.

If you do opt for the C12, I recommend going spruce as opposed to cedar.
im sure his first guitar is Fan braced
be nice to get lattice braced to change it up

i have a spruce fan brace
next guitar might be a cedar lattice braced
nice punchy sound

ive played the c10 and they are nice as well
Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
im sure his first guitar is Fan braced
be nice to get lattice braced to change it up

i have a spruce fan brace
next guitar might be a cedar lattice braced
nice punchy sound

ive played the c10 and they are nice as well
Different strokes for different folks. Me, I prefer a less strident tone. I owned a C12 for a few months and couldn't adjust to heavy mid-range tone.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Me, I prefer a less strident tone. I owned a C12 for a few months and couldn't adjust to heavy mid-range tone.
I agree,
I have one guitar, and have no clue
what my second one is going to be
might be a Torres might be a C12
Cedar and if im lucky it my be a Michael Thames
Old 07-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I agree,
I have one guitar, and have no clue
what my second one is going to be
might be a Torres might be a C12
Cedar and if im lucky it my be a Michael Thames
The C12 is a really cool guitar with a modern tone. I'm a sucker for the more traditional, fan-braced guitars. Michael Thames builds fantastic guitars! He's an active participant over on the Classical Guitar Forum and he posts some great videos featuring his guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
1500, guitar, ntx900, price, yamaha