The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-27-2024, 08:21 PM

Default Nick Drake: The Life

Just finished reading Richard Morton Jack’s new biography, Nick Drake: The Life (Hatchett). I doubt there’s any more to develop from the life Nick lived given his extraordinary eccentricity/introversion. Nick was and remains a singularly gifted autodidact and artist whose short recording and performing career (just over 30 performances), and eventual illness runs something between Syd Barrett and Sylvia Plath.

*Plenty of definitive guitar model talk for folks who enjoy that corner of speculation regarding Nick (sorry, Guild fans&#128527.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic romp View Post
Just finished reading Richard Morton Jack’s new biography, Nick Drake: The Life (Hatchett). I doubt there’s any more to develop from the life Nick lived given his extraordinary eccentricity/introversion. Nick was and remains a singularly gifted autodidact and artist whose short recording and performing career (just over 30 performances), and eventual illness runs something between Syd Barrett and Sylvia Plath.

*Plenty of definitive guitar model talk for folks who enjoy that corner of speculation regarding Nick (sorry, Guild fans��).
Thanks for the shout out for the book "Nick Drake, The Life".

The Nick Drake Documentary "A Skin Too Few" posted on Youtube is also a great resource for those who are interested in the short life of this very influential musician:

Yes, the real M-20 story should be more widely known!

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-28-2024 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the writeup, need to learn more about him.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Thanks for the shout out for the book "Nick Drake, The Life".

The Nick Drake Documentary "A Skin Too Few" posted on Youtube is also a great resource for those who are interested in the short life of this very influential musician:

Yes, the real M-20 story should be more widely known!
Thanks for sharing that documentary. I’d seen it before but forgotten it’s content. Quite a bit parlays into the book’s content, with Joe, John, and David being major players in developing Nick’s sound on record. You really here it here as they play with the faders on “Chime of the City Clock”. A simple guitar line from Nick, but the instrumentation — especially strings — played such a major factor too.

Nick’s avenue to even being heard, much less recorded, was a string of serendipitous events altogether. That’s what’s so incredible: Nick was the epitome of a bedroom player and how utterly unique personal talents can be in the smallest of places.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:37 AM

Almost like in his subconcious he knew of his demise.
Five Leaves Left- Five years after this release he died
Fruit Tree-Lyrics speak for themselves
Time Has Told Me-

Time has told me
You're a rare, rare find
A troubled cure
For a troubled mind

Love the River Man, strings are very beautiful.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:07 AM

I was lucky to have been a college student who was very into what was being called "baroque pop" at the time...one day in my favorite record shop "Leaves" was spinning and I walked out with a copy a few minutes later...I've been a fan ever since.

And of course, a few months later there was that Volkswagen commercial and suddenly all the local hipsters had a copy of Pink Moon. But for a little while I felt like I was part of a secret club

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-16-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I was lucky to have been a college student who was very into what was being called "baroque pop" at the time...one day in my favorite record shop "Leaves" was spinning and I walked out with a copy a few minutes later...I've been a fan ever since.

And of course, a few months later there was that Volkswagen commercial and suddenly all the local hipsters had a copy of Pink Moon. But for a little while I felt like I was part of a secret club
It was the Volkswagen commercial that turned me on to him. He’s an amazing artist and I’m glad I found out about him however I did.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 02-16-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
It was the Volkswagen commercial that turned me on to him. He’s an amazing artist and I’m glad I found out about him however I did.
It is a pretty great use of a song in a commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN