The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM

Question Fishman Solo vs Bose L1

I am looking at a portable PA to take to Events, but also have at my grandparents church every Sunday to do whatever they need to do.

Play movies, recorded music, have multiple singers/musicians going through it at once.

Me and my brother are starting to get together and practice/write to start our own acoustic duo to play at local events / busk

I am hoping to finance for either the Fishman Solo Amp or Bose L1, either of which are $999 which is A LOT of money for both me personally and the church, so i'm hoping to finance for it maybe use it as a tax write off at the end of the year.

It is a very small church- maybe 20-30 people and we would be playing at small venues / outdoors
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM

I'm thinking since me and my brother primarily play acoustic and that's mostly what it will be used for the Fishman may be the way to go.

I'm sure it would "get us by" for playing keyboard or a DVD for the church.

Only issue I'm seeing is both of these have 2 channels

But I guess the tone master add-on on the boss gives you 6?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 PM

you can add a mixer to either and increase the number of inputs... but depending on what you're plugging in, these may or may not be the best way to go.

FWIW, Hello Music has the Fishman every now and then. They have it listed now for $698.
that's me on guitar
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM

(looks like royd beat me to it) Hello Music has the Fishman today at $698, if that makes your decision any easier. (and no, I don't work for them although I sometimes mention what seem to be great deals there. I've bought more stuff from them than I even want to talk about....)
PKA: Cruel Haiku, Standard Deviation

Eastman E10D
Seagull S12+
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Dobro wood roundneck Model 55, 1929
Regal RD-52 Black Lightning square neck reso
Fender Musicmaster II 1966
Airline lap steel
Traveler Guitar Pro Series Acoustic-Electric (rigged as lap-steel)
Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redking View Post
I am looking at a portable PA to take to Events, but also have at my grandparents church every Sunday to do whatever they need to do.
Hi Redking

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined...and we had not met yet.

If quality is the issue, the Bose would by far be the best choice, especially along with a small mixer (which you would need with either).

The Bose unquestionably would not only give you better sound, but better quality sound. And, yes I've heard both live.

And I have a friend who did weekly church meetings with Bose and a worship team (plus video and teaching) for over 5 years. We visited their church, and they had a great sound.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Larry, I think the OP is talking about the L1 Compact... which is clearly not the same as the L1 1S or II (neither of which would ever be findable for $999). I'm betting your friend's church was using the larger Bose system(s). Indeed, I'm not sure the Compact was available 5 years ago.

My limited experience with the L1 Compact is that it does sound different than the Soloamp but I think they are pretty much in the same category in terms of quality. Which one is better, is a matter of taste. Neither one approaches the quality or flexibility of the higher end Bose systems.

As a disclaimer, I own a Fishstick and have found it very good for what it is.
that's me on guitar
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Don't want to muddy the water too much here, but another option to consider is H K audio http://hkaudio.com/us/products.php?sid=15
Their stuff sounds great, better than bose in my opinion and it is expandable, it can grow with your budget.
Start off with a powered sub, a pole and two mid/high units and you have a great sounding system that looks good and is easy to set up. About $1600 plus you will need a mixer, but you are going to need a mixer no matter which way you go.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Hey Randall,

Thanks for turning me on to the Element stuff. Have you heard it?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 PM

For simplicity and value and good sonics, the Fishman SA 220 is a nice choice.

http://www.hellomusic.com/items/sa22...ormance-system

$698 is certainly a great price for the SoloAmp, while it lasts, at Hello Music, but Hello only has steep discounts on a particular piece of gear for a limited time - something to consider, since the SA 220 is typically $1100 at the usual online stores.

Last edited by jomaynor; 04-05-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I have been using the element system for about 4 months now. On a solo gig I use the line out of my AER into a sub and two mid units.
When our string trio plays I use a mixer feeding a tower (sub, pole two mid units) on each side. The sound is great and the units are light weight.

The advantage of using the element instead of just the AER is it gives you better sound coverage in the room. I had been using JBL G2 Eon15s with the trio and I was pretty happy with the sound but I play with two women and I was concerned with the weight of the Eons when they do a job as a duo.

The element system is very easy to put together and light weight.

So far I am very happy with the results. If you are anywhere close to Greensboro NC, contact JR at SE Systems. he is a good guy to deal with.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM

You'll get more bass out the Bose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAYhpg6xfc

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM

There have been several threads here comparing the same two pieces of equipment, and we always get varying opinions, which is to be expected.
Either system will do what you want, but the Fishman does have the edge in portability. The wheeled bag that holds the amp and the stand make it very easy to transport. I have been gigging with mine for 3 years now, and have absolutely no complaints. It replaced a Fender Acoustasonic Jr, which was much heavier and less powerful.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You'll get more bass out the Bose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAYhpg6xfc
that's a helpful video Kramster. I had forgotten that you had done those comparisons.

Teleplucker, the HK does look like a cool setup. I'd like to run across one some day.
that's me on guitar
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Different strokes. I don't care for Bose sound in general, highly processed and compressed. Did a Bose/Fishman A/B years ago at a large GC, nobody preferred the Bose, maybe 50 musicians at the event, but its a free world.

Been using a SoloAmp for a restaurant gig a few months now, plenty of volume and no feedbacks issues. Both will do the job but to me the Fishman is much more natural sounding.

FInd a GC and A/B them, most stores will have both in stock, let your ears decide.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Wow I was not expecting so many replies. For $300 cheaper the Fishman definitely seems worth it

But i've never used Hello music

Seems fishy

I used a $50 off $750 or more (threw in a shure SM58) which brought my total to $732

Went to check out and order went up to $828 with tax and shipping which i was NOT expecting

Trying to see if GC will price match so I can avoid the $50 shipping (even though I got $50 off the SM58 lolz)

Talked to live chat and got another $20 knocked off for a grand total of $808 out the door with an SM58 and the Fishman Solo amp

3 weeks shipping is a ***** but I wasn't planning on buying this for a few months any ways.

I'll let you know how it all goes! worry about that 14 day return policy

Last edited by Redking; 04-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification