The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Default String Tension, Gauge, on A&L Ami Parlour

I have a newer A&L Ami cedar top parlour. I like low action, but with the current Elixir lights (12-54) on it I feel it is borderline sloppy, especially when I play hard or if I tune down for DADGAD, open D, etc. I spend most of my time in standard or 432 Hz tuning (a la stefan grossman) though. I'm a bit hesitant to go up to mediums because of the light construction of this guitar, even though it does have a shorter scale. So is there such a thing as a higher tension light gauge string? Or if there is, would it be the same as going to a heavier gauge? Or anyone else have any suggestions on types of strings to try? I have some Martin FX light/mediums (12.5 - 55, I think). I might give those a whirl for my next string change but still like to hear other thoughts. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM

John Pearse's New Mediums are ideal for DADGAD. They're gauged at 13, 17, 24, 32, 42, 55.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Is it the lower strings that feel floppy, or everything?

If it's just the lower strings you might even consider splitting up some sets of .12's and .13's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Their web site says you can go up a gauge.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/faqs.htm

Also, as a general rule, tuning down to DADGAD drops the tension about the same amount as going down a gauge in strings.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Great, thanks for the feedback. Yes it's mainly the lower bass strings that start hitting the frets when I play thumping bass with the thumb, and also feel like they are bending too easily, but maybe it's that slick feel that Elixirs have just making my fingers slide around a bit. For the amount that I go to DADGAD or dropped D, I would say it wouldn't be worth choosing strings around that alone. But even just taking standard tuning down a bit, to what i call the Stefan Grossman tuning which seems to just work for a lot of bluesy stuff, I feel it plays a bit sloppy. After buying it, I had it set up by a luthier who knows I like my action low, but maybe we went a bit too low for this particular instrument. At this point, I don't want to add neck relief or shim the saddle, so maybe I'll try some medium lights, mixing sets, or even reg mediums since apparently Godin says it can take mediums. Thanks again, feel free to add- I'll keep checking the thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM

I put mediums (EJ 17's) on My Seagull Grand essentially the same guitar with a 14 fret neck. Small tweak of the truss rod, and it blossomed. Much richer sound. And it worked great in drop tuning.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM

For genuine medium lights, and not just sets where some strings are light and some medium, I think Martin SP Medium Lights are the best. These are gauged 12.5, 16.5, 25.5, 33.5, 43.5, 55.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Thanks CKE and ewalling.
I use the same gauge of Martins (12.5 - 55), but in the FX line, on my Martin 000 and I really like them on that guitar. I have an extra set on hand so maybe I'll try them on the Ami before going out and buying mediums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion