The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-18-2018, 04:08 PM

Default L5 acoustic loudness

How loud acoustically is a new Gibson L5? Inclined towards a Wes Mo model with a single pickup hoping it would be louder than the 2 pickup model. Would it be practical to play as an acoustic archtop instrument?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM

I may wrong here, but I THINK I recall hearing the bracing is a bit different on the 1 pickup, 2 pickup, and no pickup L-5s. No pickup L-5's being the loudest acoustically and 2 pickup L-5's being the quietest.

I've got a single pickup Wes Montgomery L-5. It can sound decent mic'd, but at an unplugged jam it's not going to dominate the mix.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:40 PM

For half (or less than half) the price of a new acoustic L-5, you can have a Campellone with a suspended humbucker made to order - I've played a few and they're a better all-around option IMO...
Old 05-20-2018, 06:35 AM

While I would love to have an L5, it wouldn't be my first choice if it's acoustic volume was the main concern. Lovely guitars though.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I had a 1998 Wesmo. Volume or acoustic tone was not it's strong suit imo.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM

If you want a Campellone, check out Gothic City Guitars he has (2) one is mine, the Deluxe...
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 AM

As soon as you start cutting holes in the top and inserting pickups, you're compromising a lot of "acoustic" volume. The Wes and Standard two pickup L5 are very much electric guitars, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
As soon as you start cutting holes in the top and inserting pickups, you're compromising a lot of "acoustic" volume. The Wes and Standard two pickup L5 are very much electric guitars, in my opinion.
Exactly, Jeff.

And while it's difficult to ascertain the actual volume of this acoustic L5, it certainly has a pleasing recorded sound.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Sounds beautiful. Reminds me of a classical guitar with added properties of metal strings. I understand the comments regarding the pickup and knobs being on top for a Wes Mo which would impact the loudness and tone. I do also understand that it is more of an electric guitar which is what I want. I am considering the L5 Wes Mo and keeping it as my only guitar. Let us say in a situation when there is no amp, would the Wes Mo cut it acoustically? Say you are sitting at the patio, playing next to a friend with a dreadnought, or a total acoustic archtop playing cowboy chords? Would it be ridiculously quiet?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:03 AM

It depends on if your friend is a hack or a sympathetic player who will adjust their playing volume when they're bashing out those cowboy chords.

I've never played a WesMo...I have played a regular L5CES, and they have enough acoustic volume to practice unplugged and enjoy yourself, if you were out on the porch with a dread, the dread player would drown you out unless they adjusted.

It seems your heart is set on Gibson, but you might want to consider an archtop with a floating pickup. There's a big difference in acoustic volume. Something like a Heritage Johnny Smith might set your wallet aflame (but it'll be cheaper than the Gibson)

Just some things to consider.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
It depends on if your friend is a hack or a sympathetic player who will adjust their playing volume when they're bashing out those cowboy chords.

I've never played a WesMo...I have played a regular L5CES, and they have enough acoustic volume to practice unplugged and enjoy yourself, if you were out on the porch with a dread, the dread player would drown you out unless they adjusted.

It seems your heart is set on Gibson, but you might want to consider an archtop with a floating pickup. There's a big difference in acoustic volume. Something like a Heritage Johnny Smith might set your wallet aflame (but it'll be cheaper than the Gibson)

Just some things to consider.
Thanks. I am going to play Jazz plugged in with it. But you know every now and then you get into a situation where there is the patio and the expectation of nice open chords
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM

It'll cover.

For the plugged in jazz tone...it'll cover...better than just about anything else in the world

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops