The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Removing a K and K pickup

How hard is it for a competent tech to remove a KnK pickup? (Superglued.) Does this damage the guitar? Could the pickup survive and be installed in another guitar? Lots of questions I know. Thanks mates.

Last edited by KitKat1; 05-31-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 PM

I've never had one removed, but given that the Pure Mini consists of three thin piezo elements, I don't think that expecting the pickup to survive in a fully functional form is very likely. They can be removed but will almost certainly get trashed in the process.

whm
Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

A single edged razor blade is used to separate the pickup disks from the bridgeplate. If all goes well, the pickups will separate and not pull wood up from the bridgeplate, although some superglue residue will likely remain on both the bridgeplate and the discs. The residue can be removed from the discs with acetone (or something else, I'm not sure what). Removing residual glue from the bridgeplate is more problematic, as some of it will have seeped into the wood. Sanding will make the surface smooth. Sometimes, the discs will warp when being removed rendering them useless.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:01 PM

I've removed a few with a razorblade, but ended up damaging a couple.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 AM

Martin's factory repair has done neck resets and bridge plate repairs on two guitars where I installed the K&Ks (the guitars belong to friends). Both guitars had the K&K removed and reinstalled, according to the repair receipt, and both guitars sound fine plugged-in and don't show any obvious damage to the K&Ks when inspected with a mirror. I think as long as the upper and lower contact foils remain intact, cracking the inner piezo element is probably not a big deal anyway (my opinion as a retired EE).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

The K&Ks did not suit my needs, and I moved on to a different system. Given that I have no intention of using a soundboard transducer in the future, I simply cut the wires and left the discs there. It will only become an issue if I ever decide to sell the instrument.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
A single edged razor blade is used to separate the pickup disks from the bridgeplate..........Removing residual glue from the bridgeplate is more problematic, as some of it will have seeped into the wood. Sanding will make the surface smooth.........
In addition, I have read (on the internet, so it must be true ) that since the glue seeps into the bridge plate, installing another K&K or other bridge plate transducer will be effected by the remaining residue. Not sure how much or how accurate this statement is but it make sense that the old glue will dampen some vibration. I have not heard of any comments from folks who have tried it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair