The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
JackB1
PS; Good point about strumming. I need to do that more. I'll make another video with more strumming sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Let me add that arpeggiated notes played with a flatpack is an incremental step closer than fingerstyle playing to the wild blue yonder of all-out strumming with mixed in melody notes, as in Carter Family-style, for testing a pickup/preamp system. Fast cross-picking or forceful playing with a flatpick, with strings quickly changing directions, tests the clarity of a system and would determine if a particular system is satisfactory for a hard-driving playing style. My take is that a system that can deliver a clean and clear tone when driven hard would be good for all styles of amplified playing.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-22-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Noledog, (Eric by valued friend)

Always appreciate your kind spirit my friend. By the way, I am getting married to my true love today. *No, that is not a guitar. In fact the beautiful woman I am marrying told me; Do NOT sell the Outlaw. You will miss it one day. She's a keeper right?
Yes my brutha, I saw you and your bride on FB, so exciting! Congrats and many blessings to you both. Please give her a nole-hug for me as I pray for many years of joy and love!! ...yes she's a keeper
Old 02-22-2020, 11:55 PM

I have decided to have a K&K installed in my Taylor. I have two jacks in that guitar so one will be the K&K and I am considering the LB6 for the other. I wrestled with the idea of gluing the K&K in as I was trying to avoid this. However, it’s just such a consistently good sounding pickup that it just makes a ton of sense. Being completely passive is always a plus as well. I also feel that we are definitely going more towards IR type of pedals for a more natural tone and it just makes sense to go with a simple, great sounding pickup to start with.

As for the K&k preamp, I am not sure why it would sound any better than any other preamp with the correct impedance but it’s interesting to hear.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have decided to have a K&K installed in my Taylor. I have two jacks in that guitar so one will be the K&K and I am considering the LB6 for the other. I wrestled with the idea of gluing the K&K in as I was trying to avoid this. However, it’s just such a consistently good sounding pickup that it just makes a ton of sense. Being completely passive is always a plus as well. I also feel that we are definitely going more towards IR type of pedals for a more natural tone and it just makes sense to go with a simple, great sounding pickup to start with.

As for the K&k preamp, I am not sure why it would sound any better than any other preamp with the correct impedance but it’s interesting to hear.
I was hesitant to try the K&K preamp because the ones I tried before the K&L were arguably superb Preamps. So I had my doubts. Maybe this K&K Pure XLR is simply voiced together, but I cannot argue how musical it is.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 AM

The consensus seems to be “organic”. Sounds about right. I just might have to finally try that k&k combo in my Martin 12 mahogany. And, I might also have to “borrow” that tasty tune of yours as I really enjoyed it - especially when looped.

Well done. Thank you.

PS congrats on your getting married to a Lady that says “keep the guitar”. Wise choice.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:58 AM

The pure xlr and mini are a great match.
kk did it right with the pure xlr.
Ive owned so many preamps over the
years and use a felix currently because it
fits my needs. But if i go to a jam or open mic i bring the pure xlr. It also works very well with my baggs m80
mag pickup..same impedance.
I dont think ill ever sell that little box.
That martin sounds great.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 AM

tg-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Let me add that arpeggiated notes played with a flatpack is an incremental step closer than fingerstyle playing to the wild blue yonder of all-out strumming with mixed in melody notes, as in Carter Family-style, for testing a pickup/preamp system. Fast cross-picking or forceful playing with a flatpick, with strings quickly changing directions, tests the clarity of a system and would determine if a particular system is satisfactory for a hard-driving playing style. My take is that a system that can deliver a clean and clear tone when driven hard would be good for all styles of amplified playing.
Very true.. any slow light picking will
always sound better than fast strumming. Compression can help.
A real test imho is how it sounds cranked at a bar gig with folks shouting
at each other...ha..... but this is why i dont use sbt pickups any more . Because i was tired if dialing in such a nice sound in my bedroom only to have
so many disappointing results at a gig.
Fletcher munson not withstanding.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
tg-

at each other...ha..... but this is why i dont use sbt pickups any more . Because i was tired if dialing in such a nice sound in my bedroom only to have
That goes for a lot of things. I can't tell you how many times I have purchased a guitar amp for example (electric guitar, not acoustic), only to find out that the tones I am loving at home sound terrible in a live setting. It does depend on the SBT though. The Amulet, when I had one installed, never had issues cutting through and it required very little eq. The K&K is warmer sounding for sure but that's why I will be pairing mine with the Tonedexter. I will probably only use a blend of around 25-30%, just to get that nice air/high end back but not enough to lose the low end punch of the pickup.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
tg-

If people are shouting in a bar, critical listening for tone is non existent. Then it’s all about the performance. For the record, I cross pick 95% of the time. So the demo I made worked really well for “me.”
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Glad to help. One thing I've learned about EQ is to "subtract" the offending frequencies. I almost never 'boost' any frequencies on any amp preamp, or external preamp.

My main misgivings about the Pure XLR preamp are:

1. It only runs on battery. (although it just occurred to me I could use a 9V battery clip cable that runs to my Voodoo labs Power supply. Hmm!!! :-)

2. If it had a notch filter, it would be even better!

I use a pedal board with tuner that serves as a mute switch, so I'm good in that regard. but if I was just carrying the Pure XLR with me to open mics, I can see the value of a mute switch.
It does also run on 48v phantom.
ive never had a battery in mine.
Mute switches are nice features.
i own an orchid muting di. they are in the
uk. great little active di. with a muting
footswitch and led.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification