The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 PM

Default How much difference do strings make to your sound?

While I'm waiting for my Larrivee OM3 Silver Oak to be delivered (should be in the next 30 minutes) I decided to start a thread.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that different strings really don't make much difference to the sound at all. They might look different or come in different coloured packaging but to me they all sound pretty much alike.

Now I just put Martin strings on because they're half the price of D'Addario. They seem to last just as long and they sound fine to me. I've got Elixir on my Lakewood (as recommended by the manufacturer) but when they finally need changing I'll probably put bog standard Martins on that too.

What do y'all think. I know lighter or heavier strings can change how it feels to play but do they make a significant difference to the sound?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
While I'm waiting for my Larrivee OM3 Silver Oak to be delivered (should be in the next 30 minutes) I decided to start a thread.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that different strings really don't make much difference to the sound at all. They might look different or come in different coloured packaging but to me they all sound pretty much alike.

Now I just put Martin strings on because they're half the price of D'Addario. They seem to last just as long and they sound fine to me. I've got Elixir on my Lakewood (as recommended by the manufacturer) but when they finally need changing I'll probably put bog standard Martins on that too.

What do y'all think. I know lighter or heavier strings can change how it feels to play but do they make a significant difference to the sound?

Strings will. . . modify the tone, but a guitar tone is a guitar tone.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Strings make the single most impactful change in tone you can make to an acoustic.
If you want to compare the $7 pack to the $10 pack maybe not-
But 80/20 vs. Phosphor/Bronze vs. silked steel vs Flat wound...
Dead strings sound awful.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:

One nice thing is that the Silver Oak is a great, underrated tone wood. Very good choice.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I tend to use D'addario because they are fairly consistent, and are CHEAPER than equivalent Martins!

I use Medium PBs on dreads etc., and lights on 000 and smaller.

I recently got a batch of Martin SPs (old packaging) which I felt were a trifle more trebly but after a day or so, I had to look at the colour of the trebles to remember what i had on.

I found some old stock Jim Dunlop PBs which seem a little "smoother" on my 000 Collings, and I prefer them on my mandolin and dobro.
frankly I think we can get a little over analytical about this, and, maybe fall for some of the marketing tricks like "XT" and "authentic"

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 01-26-2020 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Strings are cheap. Try some PB, 80/20, silk and steel and Monels on your new guitar and report back if you still feel the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Strings are what makes the box vibrate. They are the primary contributor to the guitars sound. There are numerous threads on this if you do a search on strings you will see this answered dozens of times.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:40 PM

Strings have a huge impact on sound.

As just one small example: I tried lots of strings on my Taylor 810 and absolutely preferred DR Rare. I loved the tone of my new D28 with the Martin strings it came with. When time came to change, I tried DR Rare - and they sucked the entire soul out of my Martin. Terrible match, to my ear.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM

You might not notice the difference between the same type string sets between different brands, for example 80/20's that Martin makes or that D'Addario makes but you most certainly will notice a differene between different alloy's like PB's, 80/20's and Monels for example.

Brands do make a difference but it's far more subtle imho. It's good to try a whole bunch though.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Well, a Larrivee OM 03 Silver Oak, very nice indeed, congrats.
Pics or it never happened, thems the rules.
A set of John Pearce phosphor bronze should sound good on it.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:48 PM

Look what turned up.

Best guitar neck I've ever held. Balance between strings is perfect right until the sound fades away. Understated and subtle in contrast to the flamboyant brightness of my cedar/rosewood Lakewood. I think I'm going to play it a lot.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Funny, that this thread started today.
I bought 2 guitars 2 weeks ago and changed the strings on one, a Martin D-18MD, right after a gig last saturday. I was angry, because I had problems while playing a solo where I bend the strings quite a lot. Thus I changed the original Martin MA550T (gauge 13) to MA540T (gauge 12) on the next day.
Even if those strings are from the same series the change in sound was obvous. 2 hours ago I went back to the MA550T and now I sit here with my guitar and a big smile!!!

Maybe I will find some bass heavier gauge 12 strings or softer 13s in future but for now I'm very happy.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Getting the string gauge right can be as rewarding as finding the right string type.

Gauge too light can 'under perform' and too heavy can smother it.

I tried DR Sunbeam Mediums .013's for the very 1st time last year on my Epiphone EJ-200.
I was underwhelmed.
By chance I also had a pack of Lights .012's so I tried them back to back.
The difference was quite amazing.
The guitar really came alive and sounded more vibrant and better balanced.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-24-2020, 02:52 PM

That's a beautiful guitar!!!
Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM

About six months ago I changed two of my guitars from PB to monel strings. The difference in tone is significant. Tone went from great to woof.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion