The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Default Truss Rod Slight Rattle in Headstock

... yet theTruss Rod still seems to work. Puzzled.

The guitar is a Breedlove Pro Series purchased at GC in around 2009. Can a Truss Rod issue significantly alter the sound of the instrument?

Thanks, Joe
Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Can you tension it slightly either tightening or loosening, just a gentle touch to keep it from being loose? That may be enough to get rid of the rattle without affecting the relief
Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Do you know that the rattle is coming from the truss rod? A loose tuner can cause a rattle that you could swear was coming from somewhere in the neck. I just had this problem on one of my guitars. Thought it was coming from the truss rod because of where it seemed the sound was coming from. I tried doing the same thing that packocrayons suggests above and it had no effect so it didn't seem to be the truss rod. Turned out to be a washer on one of the tuners that could move just enough to cause a rattle because the nut wasn't snugged all the way down against the washer.

If you haven't already, check the tuners thoroughly to make sure nothing is loose, including the tuner buttons. Packocrayons suggestion could be worth a try too.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks, everyone. Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I will look into your suggestions. All the best to you.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:37 AM

YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL! IT'S NOT THE TRUSS ROD! THE 'A' STRING TUNER IS RATTELING. Thank you both so much for making me dig a bit deeper. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Joe Fusco
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Good to hear you found the source of the rattle. It's kind of amazing how far the sound of a rattle or buzz can come from its actual source. Several years ago I had a steel string acoustic that had a rattle that sounded for all the world like it was coming from the sound hole area. It turned out to be a loose tuner washer.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Tuner

Had the same thing. Two of the washers on the g string tuner fell off when the little screw at the end of the Gotoh tuner fell out -so it could be that
Old 01-23-2020, 06:47 PM

Yes! It was the washer on the 'A' string.I tightened the nut and the rattle was gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair