The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 PM

My Godin Doyle Dykes Signature Multiac blends an LB6 with a Lyric mic and it sounds great. I suspect they put all the string pickup elements in phase to make this work though. There is also a phase switch which I believe reverses the Phase of both the pickup and the mic together.

I think there might be tone problems blending a Lyric mic with a stock LB-6 because of the way LR Baggs reverses the Phase on certain strings.

It would be worth contacting LR Baggs to see if they sell a version of the LB6 with all the strings in matching phase for this of us that like blending mics and pickups.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM

For those of you who use or have used the LB6, how does it compare to a standard UST such as the Matrix or Element? I am hearing that it has very good string balance but what other differences are there? Does anyone feel as though the LB6 sounds a bit more full?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
My Godin Doyle Dykes Signature Multiac blends an LB6 with a Lyric mic and it sounds great. I suspect they put all the string pickup elements in phase to make this work though. There is also a phase switch which I believe reverses the Phase of both the pickup and the mic together.

I think there might be tone problems blending a Lyric mic with a stock LB-6 because of the way LR Baggs reverses the Phase on certain strings.

It would be worth contacting LR Baggs to see if they sell a version of the LB6 with all the strings in matching phase for this of us that like blending mics and pickups.
The piezo elements that are reversed don’t clash with a mic, per Baggs and many years of it being mixed with microphones in numerous setups and systems. It might not play well with a mag or, say, a K&K but microphones don’t have any issue with the LB6. Also, the mixed phase elements are crucial to its feedback resistance.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-26-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
For those of you who use or have used the LB6, how does it compare to a standard UST such as the Matrix or Element? I am hearing that it has very good string balance but what other differences are there? Does anyone feel as though the LB6 sounds a bit more full?
The LB6 doesn’t quite have as much quack or distortion as a standard UST and had a very “thick” quality devoid of the rubber band tone of others. Its bass is substantial and it has a ceramic quality to its sound. I think it’s sound is superior to most USTs and surprisingly comparable to a K&K. I would favor it over the K&K for articulation but not for heavy strumming.

I’m happy to see this thread about the new Baggs IR has just become about the LB6. Baggs created a $400 pedal so we can all just buy a $99 pickup.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The piezo elements that are reversed don’t clash with a mic, per Baggs and many years of it being mixed with microphones in numerous setups and systems. It might not play well with a mag or, say, a K&K but microphones don’t have any issue with the LB6. Also, the mixed phase elements are crucial to its feedback resistance.
Right, I have no problem with the Barbera switched phase elements and a mic (not the Lyric).
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The LB6 doesn’t quite have as much quack or distortion as a standard UST and had a very “thick” quality devoid of the rubber band tone of others. Its bass is substantial and it has a ceramic quality to its sound. I think it’s sound is superior to most USTs and surprisingly comparable to a K&K. I would favor it over the K&K for articulation but not for heavy strumming.

I’m happy to see this thread about the new Baggs IR has just become about the LB6. Baggs created a $400 pedal so we can all just buy a $99 pickup.
That's great, thanks! I have recently switched back to using the Fishman Matrix/Aura set up and have been getting some of my best live tones. My only small complaint is that the Matrix can sound a bit thin. Now I am a heavy strummer but if the LB6 is comparable to the Matrix in terms of that standard piezo tone then that doesn't bother me as I will most likely be using the Aura or Tonedexter with it. I just want a bit more of a round/full tone to start with.

On a side note, it's crazy how long the LB6 has been out but how little there is on YouTube in terms of demos. There are some but not a lot of live performances.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On a side note, it's crazy how long the LB6 has been out but how little there is on YouTube in terms of demos. There are some but not a lot of live performances.
Listen to virtually anything by Phil Keaggy playing his Olson. I know Patty Larkin had one in her Olson at one time. Lots of Olson's out there with them, it's what Jim tended to install in them.

Here's one with Phil (with an internal mic, showing that it's not an issue)

here's another, again with a mic, in a Martin, curtesy of James Nash (not the best audio):

Old 01-26-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Doyle Dykes also uses it in his Olson:
https://youtu.be/Fo3guPhG89E

In his Guild:
https://youtu.be/xszvLdsTZPk

And his Godin (with Session onboard preamp and blendable Lyric)
https://youtu.be/fgod8lSorcM

And James Taylor runs his through a Fishman Aura (with custom images) these days but here’s his in his Olson, run through a Pendulum:
https://youtu.be/sWGK_fWKb4U

Tonally, it’s a great pickup and very accepting of EQ. Something with hyper-EQ, like a Tonedexter or the Soundscape can probably do a lot to make it sound mic-like. Like every single pickup, you may or may not like it’s installation or effect on your tone. But, for $99 and 30 years after its debut, it continues to be a solid choice for performing musicians. Much like the Sunrise, I think it has a devoted fan base of enthusiastic devotees.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-27-2020, 12:53 AM

Doug & MrEricJ,

Thanks for the further info on LB6 and mic compatability.

I've used LB6s in three guitars, but for my taste the Enke USTs sounds considerably better (when the string balance is good). Its possible that the Soundscape will become the great equalizer (in favor of the LB6) with respect to tone. Then again, its also possible that the Soundscape will become the great equalizer (in favor of the Enke UST) with respect to feedback rejection. The Soundscape will be a wonder if it does everything that's claimed for it.

In any event, I've already made arrangements for my luthier to install a new saddle and try to work out the string balance thing with the Enke UST. If that doesn't work, an LB6 will be the next option.

On the subject of Patty Larkin, I'm reminded of the time when Harvey Reid brought a group of us local musicians to hear Patty Larkin in a little bar & restaurant in Portsmouth, NH. She was rather irritated to see Harvey (a great fan of her playing) sitting 10' away analyzing her every move. It makes me smile just to be reminded of it.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Thank you for the videos! I guess if you know Olson players, it's easier to find demos. A lot of them blend in imaging or internal mics but it's still a good reference. I am going to email Bob and see if he by any chance can put a Tusq saddle on the LB6. I have tried Micarta, Tusq and Bone on my Taylor and Tusq seems to sound the best. Micarta is a bit too warm, bone is too bright but Tusq sits in the middle.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post

Good idea. Thanks. Sorry I missed this post earlier. I've sent the question and will report on the answer (if I get one) from Baggs support.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-28-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
To my ear, the LB6 has what I'd describe as a "thick and meaty" sound. It isn't as articulate, or as top-responsive, as the Enke-designed UST which is my favorite. On the plus side, its rejects feedback better and its less problematic with respect to string volume balance. (I experienced zero string balance problems from my three LB6-equipped guitars.) It also has the kind of thick and meaty tone which might blend very well with the Lyric's very articulate and airy sound (providing the phase cancellation wiring doesn't cause a blending problem).
Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 AM

Wow has this thread gone off topic
Old 01-28-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Insanely so, but I'm sure the LB6 is enjoying the Google results.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-28-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
For sure but this is one time I don't mind haha. I also think it has a lot to do with the fact that Baggs announced this and hasn't really done much to market it since. Obviously it's only been a couple of weeks but there's nothing really new to discuss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification