The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-31-2020, 07:12 PM

Default refret question

Hi , i just had my OM28 Martin refretted with stainless steel frets.The frets are sticking out a little on both sides of the fretboard. I know it has been dry [winter] keep the house humidified. But they were kind of sticking out a little when he was done. He said this might happen[guitar tech guy]. Is there a method you guys use to smooth out the edges? ... so i can do it myself.Thanks.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:46 PM

When picking the instrument up, no excuse exists for sharp fret ends.

If the instrument has started to develop sharp fret ends after refret then look at how you are storing it, rectify it first and get the guitar back into the desired range, sharp fret ends are a sign of a guitar drying out.

To rectify, the fret ends need to be filed flush to the edge and then bevelled slightly towards the centre of the board typically 30/45/60 degree angles are fine.

The edge of the fret where it has been filed needs to be rolled over to take the sharlness off.

All this is achieved with simple sandpaper and or small files

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-31-2020, 07:54 PM

What Steve said.

For the length of the frets, I use a mill file run up and down the side of the fingerboard at the desired angle until the frets are flush with the sides of the fingerboard. Then I use small files to round the ends of each fret. On hard stainless steel frets, it will take more filling.

That said, I DO NOT recommend you do this yourself. It is far too easy to slip with a file and mar the fingerboard or the finish. If not too inconvenient, I recommend you take it back to where you had the work done. If too inconvenient, hire a local professional if one is available. The few bucks it cost to have it done professionally will be well-spent. As long as you keep the humidity levels appropriate, you'll never need to have it done again.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi , i just had my OM28 Martin refretted with stainless steel frets.The frets are sticking out a little on both sides of the fretboard. I know it has been dry [winter] keep the house humidified. But they were kind of sticking out a little when he was done. He said this might happen[guitar tech guy]. Is there a method you guys use to smooth out the edges? ... so i can do it myself.Thanks.
I would take it back and politely ask the tech to finish the refret job.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:10 AM

thank you gentlemen; i'll take it back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair