The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_mangum View Post
Gibson, IMHO, is missing in action.
It's too bad you feel that way.
Myself and a whole lot of folks on here and Gibson owners all over would disagree.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM

I have a Chinese made Recording King OM that cost €250 second hand and I also have a Collings 0002h which cost €3,500 second hand. Now the Collings is a better guitar no doubt, but it is not fifteen times better and when I play out with the Recording King people always admire the sound.
A fifteen year old boy is going to be quite happy with a Chinese made guitar.
Also any Sigmas I have played have been excellent, the gap between the quality of cheap guitars vs expensive ones has narrowed significantly since I was young.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Whenever you throw things under one umbrella or in one basket you are staged for failure. "ALL" Chinse guitars is to broad. Then one questions if Asian or South Korean is also involved. Suffice it to say good guitars are made in many counties. America isn't the only country where good guitars can be made.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-29-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I avoid casting a wide net with statements that contain "all/always" or "no/never" as absolutes. The world rarely operates that way, and guitars are no exception. There are some great --- and some not-so-great --- guitars made from many countries, and China and the U.S. are only two of them.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I am a late learner as I only started 2+ years ago. In that time I have owned 3 Martins (000-18, 000-15SM and GPRS1), 3 Taylors (514ce, 516 Fall LTD and GS mini), 1 Rainsong, 1 McPherson Touring, 1 CA Cargo, 5 Eastmans (E8D, E10 00ss/v, E40OM, E10OM-TC and E10D-TC) and 1 Cort Parlor. I have bought most of them used and flipped them because I preferred something different or had issues with the neck/nut and in one case went with something less expensive. I currently have the last three Eastmans and the CA Cargo. The reasons they remain - I like the way they sound. I like they way they play. I can afford them. The interesting thing is the COO never played a factor in deciding what came or what went. I think that it is amazing that you can find stellar guitars from Ireland, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Canada, USA, Japan, Korea, China, Australia etc etc. You can just as easily find dogs from each of those countries.

Maybe I am lucky in that I didn't grow up playing guitars and wasn't influenced that "It has to be an X" or "Only a Y is good enough". I am enjoying the variety regardless of the COO. Just my 2 cents.
You just started and you have a warehouse of guitars already! Well done!
Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Actually only 4

Not a warehouse of guitars, just a problem. My guitar acquisitions tends to mimic my fishing - I practice a lot of catch and release. I am down to 4. Also I did have a Gibson J35, so I hit the USA Big 3. Absolutely nothing wrong with the guitars I no longer have. I just was interested in something else and I have stuck to a total spend limit. I use the sale of one (or two) to fund the next one.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:32 PM

You can buy a quality instrument from any country in the world -
their are plentiful quality builders every where.
The only question i have is of the company they build them for -
they will build you a cheap ok guitar , or build you a master quality
guitar but it will cost you a tidey sum- basically you ( or should i say the company that handles the make in the US or where ever you live)
get what is paid for -if its a fair price for the quality presented-
the main problem is that alot of companies want to buy low and sell high -
in that case you loose -
Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck916 View Post
As one who can tell (and appreciate) the difference between a Petrus and a cheap Bordeaux (let alone a Chianti), I didn't take his comment negatively. You and I both know that many buyers of Petrus cannot tell the difference and thus are simply buying on name/status. I think he was taking a shot at those folks, not the true aficionados.
Who wants to drink Merlot anyways.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Not sure what one has to do with the other. Two different countries and cultures entirely.

There are people who cannot tell a 1955 Chateau Petrus Pomerol from a bottle of cheap chianti.
There are people who cannot tell an original Van Gogh from an art student's copy.
There are people who cannot tell a Steinway grand from a bar room upright.
One can live a very happy life not knowing the difference; however, there is no fault in being able to discern between finer things and their lesser copies. It takes time to gain an expert's appreciation for anything ...guitars included. The shot you're taking at those who have gained that expertise and appreciation is ill-informed.
There is always the possibility of new people entering the market place with expertise. Steinway studied and was mesmerized by Chickering pianos and built upon their success. He was very much a copper. We are witnessing and hearing some excellent guitars that are being built in China today. Will they over take some of the big makers in the USA? Time and sales will tell the story.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Come on, guys... let's stick to the topic.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It's too bad you feel that way.
Myself and a whole lot of folks on here and Gibson owners all over would disagree.
Ditto on that comment. Yes, Gibson has problems. But their guitars still provide a unique sound. A sound like no other.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:55 AM

My opinion is that a lot of the Chinese guitars are very nice. But they do have a lot of QC issues. Improperly glued bridges that come loose, neck wood that is not properly cured and ends up twisting, finish issues galore, and in general not quite as 'clean' a build. If you get a good one, they can be very good, if you don't - well good luck.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
My opinion is that a lot of the Chinese guitars are very nice. But they do have a lot of QC issues. Improperly glued bridges that come loose, neck wood that is not properly cured and ends up twisting, finish issues galore, and in general not quite as 'clean' a build. If you get a good one, they can be very good, if you don't - well good luck.
Your first two sentences seem to be contradictory. Picking from the better known brands such as Eastman, Yamaha, Blueridge etc. tends to obviate the issues to which you refer....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-30-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I think the QC issues are largely determined by who these guitars are being made for. If quality expectations are high, there will fewer guitars with issues. It cost a bit more to make better guitars.

It depends on the buyers the guitars are being made for.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 AM

I have several Chinese made guitars ranging from $50 Rogues (Starter & RD-80) to a Blueridge BR-180 ($1,000+). I've found the lower priced guitars generally need some set up and often things like glue may be visible with close scrutiny. I have generally been impressed with the playability for the price. The Blueridge is probably my second favorite acoustic behind the D-41. Aside from the Dalmation pickguard I replaced, it is a great guitar and the finish work is excellent. I think the quality of build and tone have some correlation with brand and price. Not all Chinese built guitars are equal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion