The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
No ... The 000-18GE had a different (modified V) neck and Adirondack top, perhaps more carefully crafted. Buts it's more like a better (most would agree) 000-18 than like a dread. Adirondack top and different bracing produced a louder, brighter sound than the Sitka of the standard 000-18. Body size same 000/OM. No longer made except as a custom shop order, which also allows for other mods. For example, the Guitar Riot in Cleveland has one with an Englemann top available.
I was just saying it handled aggressive strumming in a similar manner as a dread.The standard 000-18 does not.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Ilew wrote above regarding a 000-18 GE:

".... handled aggressive strumming in a similar manner as a dread.
The standard 000-18 does not."

I will concur.
My 000-18GE will take aggressive strumming as well as any guitar I've ever owned, and never complain.

My 000-18 Standard would break up if pushed to hard.
It was sweet, but tonally fragile compared to the GE.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
Yes, the GE's are that good. It was one my greatest disappointments to see Martin discontinue the line before I was able to string together the bread to acquire one. Luckily for me, Jon at My Favorite Guitars exists to fill this need.

While I have only played a few Authentics and they are great, the GE's are definitely a cut above the standards and have a different tone profile than then authentics to my ear. They are great for bluegrass and any genre you need the acoustic to project and power through. Like others have mentioned, the neck is the only complaint I have ever heard from GE owners and has led some to let them go.

I went with the 000-18GE because it is the biggest sounding and best playing OM/000 sized guitar I have ever played and I prefer OMs' to D's. But, all of the D-18GE's I have played have been fantastic.
I've really been eyeing up the MFG 000 18 GE lately. I think that may be my next one. Maybe I can find one in Ambertone.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've really been eyeing up the MFG 000 18 GE lately. I think that may be my next one. Maybe I can find one in Ambertone.
Buy with confidence. Jon is THE best! He and I have done a lot of business together but more importantly, he's a stand up good guy. And he's also a good friend. His MFG 000-18GE is CS spec'd to be an amazing guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 PM

Yes, my 000 has beaten so many excellent guitars! They are fantastic guitars.
Scott
Old 07-14-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I was just saying it handled aggressive strumming in a similar manner as a dread.The standard 000-18 does not.
We know what you meant llew.........
Old 07-14-2019, 05:14 AM

I have owned 2, one bought new, one used, both good enough to be my only guitar and tour the world were I so inclined...

I no longer have them because I was (and probably still am) a serial guitar trader - no reflection on those guitars
Old 02-25-2020, 02:07 PM

I just bought a used one. It's encouraging to read all these positive comments! It was one I played in 2005, belonging to Dave Skowron of Red Bear Trading. I was at Kaufman Kamp with him and his was one of rather a few D18 GEs, and one of only two sunburst versions. He listed it for sale on Facebook last week and I was like – noooo, don't sell it! Then I had a nice convo with my wife and we worked out how to make it happen.

It's been 'Kimseyfied', in other words Bryan Kimsey has removed the popsicle brace and shaved the back braces, and Dave has had the bridge reglued with hide glue.

So excited right now!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:53 PM

I feel like I have to stick up for the Larrivee among all this Martin lovefest. I like both guitars, but they are really examples of different guitars, not to mention the 000 that the OP didn't even mention.

The Larrivee L09LV differs from the Martin in body type, the L-body is more similar to the Gibson J-body instead of a dreadnought, the rosewood vs. the mahogany sides and back, and the intended use by the OP.

I have to say that I really liked the L09 that I had more than any dread I ever played.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I feel like I have to stick up for the Larrivee among all this Martin lovefest. I like both guitars, but they are really examples of different guitars, not to mention the 000 that the OP didn't even mention.

The Larrivee L09LV differs from the Martin in body type, the L-body is more similar to the Gibson J-body instead of a dreadnought, the rosewood vs. the mahogany sides and back, and the intended use by the OP.

I have to say that I really liked the L09 that I had more than any dread I ever played.

I’m with Nctom all the way. (And yes, I’ve owned and played many Martin and many Larrivee instruments)
What he said +1

Blues
Old 02-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
I just bought a used one. It's encouraging to read all these positive comments! It was one I played in 2005, belonging to Dave Skowron of Red Bear Trading. I was at Kaufman Kamp with him and his was one of rather a few D18 GEs, and one of only two sunburst versions. He listed it for sale on Facebook last week and I was like – noooo, don't sell it! Then I had a nice convo with my wife and we worked out how to make it happen.

It's been 'Kimseyfied', in other words Bryan Kimsey has removed the popsicle brace and shaved the back braces, and Dave has had the bridge reglued with hide glue.

So excited right now!
Hey, congratulations of the D-18GE. I also have a sunburst one. And how was the Kaufman Kamp? I was thinking about heading down there.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Hey, congratulations of the D-18GE. I also have a sunburst one. And how was the Kaufman Kamp? I was thinking about heading down there.
It was absolutely brilliant. Highly recommended!

Here are seven of them!

D18s by Cams, on Flickr
Old 02-28-2020, 12:52 PM

The Martin D-18GE is IMO the perfect intersection of specs and price - everything you need and nothing you don't. You just have to like that neck.

As far as the D18GE vs. one of the various Authentic D18 models the individual variances in the guitars and our personal preferences are such that blanket statements about one vs. the other just aren't true. One might like the idea of the closer to true vintage spec of an Authentic on an emotional level and yes they generally do sound incredible, but don't discount the D18GE. I've kept mine over 3ea D18 Authentic 1937's now and play it daily with a D1 Authentic and it gives up nothing.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:43 PM

THAT is a beautiful D-18GE, Sir. Well played.

I've kept my D-18GE for over ten years now despite owning a D-18 Authentic 37.

Honestly, the Authentic is a bit more powerful and dynamic and clear sounding, so, there's that.

I love that GE tone regardless. And I LOVE the neck on the GE.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:17 AM

My GE arrived last Friday from Utah. It's a 2002 model and an absolute dream to play. I can't believe that the stars aligned to let this deal happen. I remember that guitar well, having played it and heard Dave's playing it at Steve Kaufman's Acoustic Kamp in 2005. It's had another 15 years to mature, so it's even better than I remember.

I'll do an NGD post sometime soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18ge, larrivee, martin