The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Thanks so much! The doctor thought it was the liver. Thousands of dollars of tests later, it turns out to be the gallbladder. You can't live without a liver. You can live without a gallbladder. This is great news.
But with what this is going to cost us, I could have bought a Martin D-45.
I think I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines for a few years. But in a few years, I might be open to trading my used Yamaha parlor for a used FSX3 if it were just a $200-$300 outlay.
Yikes! Well that is great news is not life threatening. Times like that I'm glad for my free health care here in Canada, though the catch is long wait times for most things. Her health is more important than a d45 anyway!

I'm very anxious to try one. Right now it's mostly larrivee Mahogany neck and sides (D40) at the top of my list, but I'm waiting on trying this new Yamaha and the new Godin metroplis' and the Fairmont.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Yikes! Well that is great news is not life threatening. Times like that I'm glad for my free health care here in Canada, though the catch is long wait times for most things. Her health is more important than a d45 anyway!

I'm very anxious to try one. Right now it's mostly larrivee Mahogany neck and sides (D40) at the top of my list, but I'm waiting on trying this new Yamaha and the new Godin metroplis' and the Fairmont.
Thanks for the best wishes. Medicine can be quite pricey here, but glad everything is ok.
I'd love to try one of these. I've become a try before you buy person. But I love what I'm hearing so far about this series.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 AM

I am dying to try out an FS5. I have decided that what I need is a concert-sized mahogany b/s guitar. On my list to try are Martin 00-18 (hog/spruce), Taylor GC5 (hog/cedar), Guild M20(all hog), and the Yamaha FS5. The FS5 appears to the pinnacle of value, and the sound on the videos I've seen is unreal. But I have to get my hands on one first. I've put in a call at my local GC to see when they will be getting them in, but they don't know. They said they would call me when they do. I don't exepect to ever that call, but you never know. I would love to hear more opinions on it, specifically the FS5.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm so bummed out that Yamaha isn't offering a cutaway with these new
FGX3 and FGX5 models. Doesn't make a lot of sense since these are built to be stage guitars with the great new pickup systems.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I'm so bummed out that Yamaha isn't offering a cutaway with these new
FGX3 and FGX5 models. Doesn't make a lot of sense since these are built to be stage guitars with the great new pickup systems.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Atmosfeel used in the next batch of A-series guitars.

The FG's from the 60s were not cutaway, but I get what you're saying.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Yamaha FG/FS Red Label!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llahsram View Post
I am dying to try out an FS5. I have decided that what I need is a concert-sized mahogany b/s guitar. On my list to try are Martin 00-18 (hog/spruce), Taylor GC5 (hog/cedar), Guild M20(all hog), and the Yamaha FS5. The FS5 appears to the pinnacle of value, and the sound on the videos I've seen is unreal. But I have to get my hands on one first. I've put in a call at my local GC to see when they will be getting them in, but they don't know. They said they would call me when they do. I don't exepect to ever that call, but you never know. I would love to hear more opinions on it, specifically the FS5.

The FS5 is a great guitar, you get the best value-for-$$$. Attached is my NGD for my FS5 and a YT video review (by Jarvis) if you have not yet seen it.

NGD-Yamaha FS5 Red Label (Made in Japan)
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 07-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 AM

That won't help me. I prefer a 1 3/4" nut size and the A series is 11/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Atmosfeel used in the next batch of A-series guitars.

The FG's from the 60s were not cutaway, but I get what you're saying.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm somewhat nostalgic about these new red label Yamaha's. Growing up I've owned several of the Yamaha dreads with spruce tops of some sort and laminate back and sides. The new ones are certainly intriguing and relatively inexpensive. I'm tempted...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Default Yea FG 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
anyone yet???
Looks like these models are starting to flow into the US dealers. I preordered mine about 5 weeks ago and got it 2 weeks ago. Some dealers still have it as preorder or out of stock.
I am really satisfied with the Yamaha FG3, this thing kicks out some major sound, I was taken aback by the projection of acoustic guitar splendor. Compared to the FG 800's the FG 3 is richer, more forceful, and stronger lows to middle lows, with still some of the familiar Yamaha sparkle on top. I'm no expert, but if I had to peg it, I think its somewhere between vintage and modern tonally. If you are familiar with the FG 800 series, it`s a step up and gives you more than taste of some of the big ticket stuff. Keep in mind the nut and string spacing is wider than on the FG 800's.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Thanks for that review. I love my FG800 and if i can ever sell my Taylor 317e, the FGX5 is what i will replace it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilder View Post
Looks like these models are starting to flow into the US dealers. I preordered mine about 5 weeks ago and got it 2 weeks ago. Some dealers still have it as preorder or out of stock.
I am really satisfied with the Yamaha FG3, this thing kicks out some major sound, I was taken aback by the projection of acoustic guitar splendor. Compared to the FG 800's the FG 3 is richer, more forceful, and stronger lows to middle lows, with still some of the familiar Yamaha sparkle on top. I'm no expert, but if I had to peg it, I think its somewhere between vintage and modern tonally. If you are familiar with the FG 800 series, it`s a step up and gives you more than taste of some of the big ticket stuff. Keep in mind the nut and string spacing is wider than on the FG 800's.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-18-2020, 04:44 PM

I didn't know whether to start a new topic or not but I was wondering is the FGX5 the same as the FG5 but just has electronics? Do they sound the same if not plugged in?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
I didn't know whether to start a new topic or not but I was wondering is the FGX5 the same as the FG5 but just has electronics? Do they sound the same if not plugged in?
Yes, the X means onboard electronics. As for the sound, in theory they should be very similar. I'd expect the FG5 to resonate a little better without the contact sensor stuck to the soundboard and being a little lighter, with less 'stuff' in the soundhole.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:33 AM

I normally play not plugged in I just wanted the option to.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklcfc View Post
I normally play not plugged in I just wanted the option to.
Me too. I have yet to plug mine in but hear that the atomosfeel is a really good setup. I just want the option to plug in if I do ever get the nerve to play out somewhere in the future.

I am loving my FGX5. I have not been a hog fan in the past but this is a great guitar. I put some D'Addario PB EJ16s on it last night and it sounds great. My ears tend to like brighter sounding guitars and those brightened it up for me but not too much. I had D'Addario 80/20 Bronze on before and they got pretty dead after being on there for a month. I may try the coated PBs next time and see if I like the sound and how long they last. I would be interested in other's comments on strings for the FGX5.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Me too. I have yet to plug mine in but hear that the atomosfeel is a really good setup. I just want the option to plug in if I do ever get the nerve to play out somewhere in the future.

I am loving my FGX5. I have not been a hog fan in the past but this is a great guitar. I put some D'Addario PB EJ16s on it last night and it sounds great. My ears tend to like brighter sounding guitars and those brightened it up for me but not too much. I had D'Addario 80/20 Bronze on before and they got pretty dead after being on there for a month. I may try the coated PBs next time and see if I like the sound and how long they last. I would be interested in other's comments on strings for the FGX5.
I have the FG-180 50th edition currently but I was considering selling that to get this as I will have the plugged in option too with it. I'm no expert but heard its quite similar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion