The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Anyone tried the Ortega Horse Kick Pro?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:19 PM

I recently bought a Roland SPD One Kick for $150. Take some getting used to, but I like it. I've tried a few others. The passive ones suck, and most of the good ones are pretty expensive. This one seems to hit that sweet spot between function and cost.

FWIW.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 AM

How does it sound along with an acoustic guitar? Some folks say it sounds
too "electronic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I recently bought a Roland SPD One Kick for $150. Take some getting used to, but I like it. I've tried a few others. The passive ones suck, and most of the good ones are pretty expensive. This one seems to hit that sweet spot between function and cost.

FWIW.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM

I'm considering getting the Ortega Horse Kick Pro. It's primarily the cajon bass I'm after, so the basic Horse Kick V2 (with guitar input) would do, but that one lacks the battery option.

Anyone knows if these are suitable to play with the heel as well?

/Per
Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Yes I have seen people play these with the heel. You just turn it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
I'm considering getting the Ortega Horse Kick Pro. It's primarily the cajon bass I'm after, so the basic Horse Kick V2 (with guitar input) would do, but that one lacks the battery option.

/Per
Old 07-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How does it sound along with an acoustic guitar? Some folks say it sounds
too "electronic".
I can see why some might say it sounds electric. But there are a lot of options, and dialing in the Reverb and turning helps a lot. Doesn’t bother me. Not the best kick pedal out there, but for the money I think it’s pretty strong choice
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-26-2019, 03:30 PM

I just ordered one of those. I'll post impressions soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post

/Per
Old 07-31-2019, 07:27 AM

I had basically decided to get the Ortega Horse Kick Pro, but last minute I changed my mind and instead ordered the Roland SPD:ONE Kick. The main reasons I went with the Roland instead is the headphone output and that the USB connection can be used for MIDI. And the price for the Roland I paid was just a little more than I would have had to pay for the Ortega Horse Kick Pro.

Anyway, today I got the SPD:ONE Kick, and I have used it for a few hours. I haven't played much with the sounds yet, I'm using one of the basic kick drums. It feels good, though it's a bit sensitive on where I hit it with my foot. But for me using the foot will be a little of a learning curve.

The SPD:ONE is built like a brick, very sturdy. But looks wise I would have preferred the Ortega Horse Kick Pro, it looks far more acoustic. :P

The main usage of the kick pedal for me will, I think, be when recording. I have problems playing on metronome klicks, and I also have songs where I don't have a fixed tempo and don't strum the guitar either, so Logic Pro X "Tempo ADAPT" won't work. But by stomping my foot Logic will be able to pick up the tempo so that I later can add drums. Well, that's the theory I hope to be able to follow!

I will post more about the SPD:ONE Kick once I have used it more. Now back to practising my "beat stomping"!

Cheers,
Per
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Regarding the SPD-One-Kick.

When I first got it, I tried to play it with my bare feet... and that didn't work very well at all. I was initially disappointed. But a day or two later I had shoes on and it worked SO much better. It's basically a touch sensitive drum pad, so the harder you hit it, the louder it sounds.

I also found that it was more comfortable for my foot to be on a 1" piece of wood, so the front edge of the SPD-One was basically at the same level as the surface my foot was standing on.

YMMV.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM

I have also been thinking of doing something like this or buying something, but as most mention, the thought of tapping for a whole set makes my shin want to leave my body.

It would seem to be that tapping with you heal would be so much less fatiguing...wonder why nobody has come up with that. I mean, could you just turn a porch board around and tap with your heel? Its a much more natural movement it would seem, especially when you consider the position most guitarist would be in while playing live.

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM

I use the Shadow Stompin pedal.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/9606/Gu...ompin_Bass.htm

One big issue is durability, this thing has been soaked, muddied, used on gravel , used in 90+ F heat all day and keeps on ticking. Its sensitive enough to get a variety of tones and volumes out. I put in a cable to have it powered by my Volto on my pedal board.

There are many techniques for using a kick. You can set up a basic beat, then you learn to double hit when needed, then you learn to bring it in and out of the chorus or verse for effect. Then there is how to amplify it. A bit of reverb from my S1 pro amp does the trick. The guitar and the pedal go into a passive, non powered mixer and that goes into the amp. The guitar signal is processed before it hits the mixer.

Once you get used to it, you won't want to gig without it. It lets you hold a beat while you solo over it or adds impact for certain parts of a song.

I play it standing up and once you get used to it, its okay. The key is not to use it all the time, give your legs and shins a rest.

Have fun!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Regarding the SPD-One-Kick.

When I first got it, I tried to play it with my bare feet... and that didn't work very well at all. I was initially disappointed. But a day or two later I had shoes on and it worked SO much better. It's basically a touch sensitive drum pad, so the harder you hit it, the louder it sounds.

I also found that it was more comfortable for my foot to be on a 1" piece of wood, so the front edge of the SPD-One was basically at the same level as the surface my foot was standing on.

YMMV.
I have tried both barefoot and with some shoes I use indoors, and with shoes it's much better.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I use the Shadow Stompin pedal.
The Shadow Stompin pedal has a pad in front of the pedal to elevate your foot, very similar to what I did with the SPD-ONE kick so your foot is almost flat... like when you tap your foot on level ground.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 08-02-2019, 11:55 AM

I have had my SPD::ONE KICK for a few days now, and although maybe a little early for my statement, but this must be one of my best investments when it comes to music equipment... ever! Although early in my use, and needing much more practise, I'm convinced that this box will be able to take my music to the next level. It gives me a new tool to "drive" a song while playing on my own.

I have mostly used the #2 program, the "Hard Kick"... it has got a really tight sound which I love. I have also tried it a little as a MIDI controller, but as it sends the note C3 and my software drums look for C1 for the kick drum I haven't fully managed to explore this yet. And the #12 bank where you should be able to put your own samples I haven't been able to reach from my MacBook yet.

There's no AC adaptor included, but I run it on rechargeable NiMH (4 x AA) which I have loads of.

I have put a piece of wood in front of the pedal as suggested by rschultz, and this makes it so comfortable to use. In my homestudio I put it on a box as I sit on a bar stool.

/Per
Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 AM

https://reverb.com/item/26683192-ort...with-5-samples

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification