The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Does the Bose L1 systems have a line in for FRFRF (Full Range, Flat Response) so you can run an amp modeler like the Fractal Audio and Line 6 systems?
I see where some have run those systems, but never could tell if it had a flat, no EQ line in?

Or can you set the input to flat and run a small mixer in to feed different connections like amp modelers left and right line as a an acoustic at the same time? Still need a mic line too.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Does the Bose T1 save any "scenes," as in can there be one setting for strumming and another for fingerpicking a player could switch to in an instant?
Yes!
Bose T1 .. Custom scenes
Scenes allow you to store, recall and edit "snapshots" of all key ToneMatch audio engine settings at any given time.
Store your customized settings for specific gigs with the Scenes feature.
The engine comes with five predefined Bose scenes and ten you can define.
Fast, one-touch scene recall helps you make quick work of repeat setups.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I did a direct side-by-side sound-off using my personal acoustic guitar while comparing the Bose L1 Compact next to the Fishman 330x.

I agree with JakeStone. The Bose sounds better. More natural and neutral and the dispersion is more even near and far. To get the Fishman 330x to sound as good, we had to add the Subwoofer. That makes the fishman way more expensive and more to carry. Only when the sub was connected did the Fishman 330X sound good to me. Otherwise, no matter how I dialed the EQ on the 330x, It was had a rather strident tonality that I cannot entirely pinpoint.

I was using my personal guitar; Martin OMC-18E and I have had my pedalboard with Fishman Platinum Pro EQ (set flat). everything being the same, the Bose sounded a lot better to me. and its cheaper and easier to carry.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 11-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM

As long as we're discussing mixers..

I realize and hear everyone's praise for the sound quality of the Bose T1.. But I keep wondering "how much better is it Really?" over say the TCH Play Acoustic or BOSS VE-8 etc.

SO if I'm going to stick with the TCH Play Acoustic (for now).

Would the T1 be kinda redundant in some ways?

Has anyone used the PA and the T1... DO they play nice together?

Would I be better off with the XR12/16 for more "bang for bucks" mixer?

The reason I ask.. Is that I really want to get a T1... But for the money, I like the flexability of the XR Series better. Since it can be used at home studio mixer as well as performing. As for performing I only occasionally have a partner that plays guitar/mandolin and sings.

SO for the money.. XR12/16 gets me more use .. Better value?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

I realize and hear everyone's praise for the sound quality of the Bose T1.. But I keep wondering "how much better is it Really?" over say the TCH Play Acoustic or BOSS VE-8 etc.

The reason I ask.. Is that I really want to get a T1... But for the money, I like the flexability of the XR Series better. Since it can be used at home studio mixer as well as performing. As for performing I only occasionally have a partner that plays guitar/mandolin and sings.

My Duo Partner uses the TC Helicon GTX (earlier pedal like the Play acoustic) He plays his acoustic thru it directly into the Bose. Sounds great. We also have a Behringer Xair mixer and that gives us more flexibiity. But it really is not needed unless we need more channels.

Additionally, I plug in directly using my pedal board with Fishman Platinum pro EQ preamp. (mostly set flat) The Bose delivers great sound with OUT an external mixer. The main thing Mixer gives you is more features and channels. They offer more effects, compression, EQ for greater sound shaping. Sure. But you can get GREAT sound without an external mixer.

Here is my set up at a Ritz Carlton Patio gig I play monthly.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 11-08-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Here is my set up at a Ritz Carlton Patio gig I play monthly.
Nice setup. Hey, do the two of you send all four signals through that at the same time (two mics, two guitars), or are you talking about respective solo gigs?

Also, if you don't mind--is that an L1 or an L1 Compact you're playing in front of?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post

JakeStone, I wouldn't be in a rush to change, as good sound is good sound and what you have works.

I wanted the T1, for it's small footprint size as much as anything. I use my Compact as a singer guitarist, but also for playing upright bass in jazz gig settings. The lack of tone control on the Compact was what had me worried about getting a good bass tone in troublesome rooms.

The T1 addresses that and can easily travel in my gig bag.

It seems to me that the T1 is really aimed for one person. Trying to get in another vocal and an instrument will start to make things crowded. A proper mixer is likely better suited to that end.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Nice setup. Hey, do the two of you send all four signals through that at the same time (two mics, two guitars), or are you talking about respective solo gigs?

Also, if you don't mind--is that an L1 or an L1 Compact you're playing in front of?
That is my solo gig. (This is my Bose L1 Compact)

One vocal mic into L1 Compact XLR input
One 1/4" guitar cable from my pedal board.

We we use this for the Duo, we have to use a mixer since we have two vocal mics and two guitars.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Groberts, what pickup do you have in your Collings?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Groberts, what pickup do you have in your Collings?
Both my Collings have LR Baggs Anthem PU's. (The full Anthem)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-08-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Does the Bose T1 save any "scenes," as in can there be one setting for strumming and another for fingerpicking a player could switch to in an instant?

What about the Behringer X12/16?

The XR12-16 can save scenes as well. Although I use a boost pedal to go between fingerpicking & using a pick.
It's an MXR micro amp with one knob and with the rubber sleeve on it I can adjust the amount of gain with my foot while playing.
Very handy
Old 11-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
The XR12-16 can save scenes as well. Although I use a boost pedal to go between fingerpicking & using a pick.
It's an MXR micro amp with one knob and with the rubber sleeve on it I can adjust the amount of gain with my foot while playing.
Very handy
Cool. The small problem I'm having is I don't use a thumbpick so there needs to be a fair amount of compensation to get a clear tone from my thumb.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Both my Collings have LR Baggs Anthem PU's. (The full Anthem)
Thanks, I have a CJ and a 0001, and having been considering a pu for one or both.
Peter
Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Cool. The small problem I'm having is I don't use a thumbpick so there needs to be a fair amount of compensation to get a clear tone from my thumb.

I've never managed to get the thumb to sound clear and precise. So lately I've been practicing hybrid picking on some songs. Still like the feel of the thumb but the sound when plugged in using a pick is way better. A thick pick blends better with fingers I've found.
I use a V picks "snake". It's something like 4.1mil.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I've never managed to get the thumb to sound clear and precise. So lately I've been practicing hybrid picking on some songs. Still like the feel of the thumb but the sound when plugged in using a pick is way better. A thick pick blends better with fingers I've found.
I use a V picks "snake". It's something like 4.1mil.
Well if I were to start learning to play guitar again I'd learn to play holding a regular pick but getting the rest of the fingers on my right hand going. That's like the most versatility. Greg who does the Wildwood demos on youtube would be a perfect example. I still make a lot of corrections in my technique but that one's a little too steep to tackle at this point.

Now if put on headphones in my studio and play through my Edwina mic, my thumb sounds absolutely clear and precise. But Edwina feeds back too much live without the right PA and probably a sound man. That's unfortunate cause she sounds good on voice and especially guitar and voice together and you don't have to swallow her like a dynamic mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification