The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Which one of these should go?

I'm taking up pedal steel, and recently scored an amazing deal on a late 70's Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom that's been wonderfully maintained and in excellent working condition and also came with a Sho-Bud volume pedal. My rules these days is if I get a new guitar, another has to go! Kind of a lame rule I know, but trying to be a little more responsible these days (yeah, right!), and really don't need this many guitars. I'm just having trouble which one to part with. All of them are in great shape and have the factory cases. Here's what I have:

2014 J45 Standard: great guitar, average sounding, but has a lot of sentimental value to me, and gets played more than any of the others. Can't strum it too hard or it starts to implode and compress, but great for cross picking/flatpicking and intricate stuff. Not super loud.

2012 D-28: probably the best 'all-around' of the bunch, sounds great, and can really do anything and everything. Your no-frills D-28. Great for heavy strumming and fingerpicking, and can go from a roar to a whisper.

2012 AJ200: This guitar sounds incredible, and can sound huge and articulate and delicate at the same time. I got it cheap because it's had a neck repair, and it was done really well, looks great, and not a mark on the guitar anywhere else besides the repair. It's not my everyday guitar. but puts a giant smile on my face when I play it, it's set up wonderfully and plays like butter. Great strummer and finger picker.

2014 000-15M: My only 'small-body' guitar, very warm yet clear sound, probably gets played the least, mint condition, and only comes out when I feel like trying something different, but always puts a smile on my face.

I also have a mid '70's Takamine 12-string, but not going to sell that. Picked it up really cheap and really won't get much for it anyway. It sounds great and after I set it up and cleaned it up it's a wonderful guitar.

Last edited by sbpark; 03-24-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Keep the J-45 as it is your traveling guitar and old friend

Keep the D-28 because it is your all-around jack-of-all-trades guitar

Keep the 000-15M because you need a lap guitar and they are really fun to noodle around with.

The Jumbo 200 would be the one I would move, as it crosses over the realms of the first two.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I would convince myself that a pedal steel is not a guitar.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM

Based on strictly pragmatic considerations I'd sell the J-45, which by your own admission is "average-sounding...starts to implode and compress" as compared to the D-28 and J-200 you speak of in glowing terms...
Old 03-24-2016, 05:44 PM

I would sell the 000-15M. I don't think keeping something simply for the sake of variety makes a lot of sense. I keep things that I use a lot (ie have utility) or that I am sentimental about, but I never keep anything simply for variety or novelty. YMMV.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I would convince myself that a pedal steel is not a guitar.
Haha! At first I was kind of offended by that comment thinking you were being sarcastic, then I quickly figured out what you were trying to say! I like that!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
...All of them are in great shape and have the factory cases. Here's what I have...
You forgot asking price and contact info.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 PM

Hard choice I can't help you.

But have you tried lighter strings on the j45? A squashed tone can often be the result of too much tension on the top
Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Based on strictly pragmatic considerations I'd sell the J-45, which by your own admission is "average-sounding...starts to implode and compress" as compared to the D-28 and J-200 you speak of in glowing terms...
My thoughts exactly...the J-45 goes definitely, and maybe the Martin 15 too

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Default for me...

For me..I'd let the BIG Gibson go. I've just never been a fan of those...As big as they are they should be the loudest guitar on the planet..and I've never played one that spoke to me. Plus, the other 3 are just classic guitars that you can never go wrong with. Good luck with your choice...but that's what I'd do..Actually, I'd keep them all...lol!!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:52 PM

The easiest to replace, is the one to go.
Definitely keep the jumbo. That's a beautiful guitar and you love it.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Guest 728

Easy -- I would jettison the J-45. The SJ200 sounds "incredible," the D-28 already covers your dreadnaught base with aplomb, and the mahogany 000 is a great alternative flavor to have in your quiver. Sentimental value is overrated--go for the tone!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 PM

The j45 and or the 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 PM

I would sell Martin 000-15.
Gibson J45 would be next one out, first try different strings / tension and judge from there.

The other two sounds like keepers - always liked J200's.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:45 AM

Now bear in mind that I feel that almost every factory guitar is easily replaceable. I know almost everybody here happens to have stumbled onto the perfect D18, J45, etc., but in my experience, meh...

Definitely sell the brown Martin. There's a cult following for these. You will likely be able to sell it immediately at a higher return on investment than any of the others.

However, I agree with a previous poster that the pedal steel is not a guitar and therefore you have no dilemma keeping all your current guitars. Heck, when not in use hang some clothes over it and tell your significant other it's a piece of exercise equipment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion